Anyone use Bkool?

jollygiant
jollygiant Posts: 117
I've been using Zwift for 3 weeks and quite like it but the 3 different areas are starting to get a bit boring now and the graphics are a bit meh.

Anyone using Bkool, if so is it better than Zwift? I know there are meant to be more routes and your can use the velodrome.

I've Zwift free until January and just want to know other people options before I splash out on Bkool.

Comments

• myideal
    myideal Posts: 231
    I have tried it on the ipad app and it isnt very stable to be honest. This is the big issue for me and the reason why I lost interest in it. I am sure it can be quite good if it works.

Can you actually create custom races in Zwift that say for example we could get people on here to take part in? I could imagine that could be interesting and a bit more fun as these are people who tap on the same forum.
  • myideal wrote:
    I have tried it on the ipad app and it isnt very stable to be honest. This is the big issue for me and the reason why I lost interest in it. I am sure it can be quite good if it works.

Can you actually create custom races in Zwift that say for example we could get people on here to take part in? I could imagine that could be interesting and a bit more fun as these are people who tap on the same forum.

You can in terms of getting everyone to meet at the start banner a certain time and wear Bikeradar kit but you can't create private events as part of the events system.
  • myideal
    myideal wrote:

You can in terms of getting everyone to meet at the start banner a certain time and wear Bikeradar kit but you can't create private events as part of the events system.

Guessing this has been tried before? If not, is this something that we should try to set up and see if we can get people in the community taking part? Maybe make it a distance that is suitable for all standards, but can also pose a good "race" for those who are more able / powerful?
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    Yes. I use both Zwift and Bkool. Have a look at the Bkool forum on cyclechat. You will see we run various leagues and races it's not a slick or as good looking as Zwift but it does have a lot to offer.
  • dempsey1
    dempsey1 Posts: 320
    Been using bkool for a year, I got premium subscription when buying the trainer during the black Friday sale last year. Suits me, very addictive. Can challenge yourself on self chosen programmed video routes or join in live sessions. Great variety, some easy flat spins or climb the stelvio at your own pace.
    It also has velodrome events and has added specific training sessions but not tried those.
  • myideal
    Do you have no issues with the bkool software then?

I find on my iPad mini3 it just crashes way too often. Zwift feels more polished and works , which I suspect will be the same for the iPad app when it arrives as well.

It's a shame for me as I was thinking bkool could be something fairly decent letting you choose your own routes as such.
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    I don't use the iPad app. I find it rock solid on a laptop or PC.
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    Not sure if I am doing something wrong or have missed something - I have a wireless cateye and Tacx Flow Smart - the RPM on Bkool is the same as the cateye but the speed in Bkool is much higher. The speed on Bkool seems more akin to my speed on the road, as the trainer is really tough. I havent set it at a permanent slope or anything (although it feels that way!) and have calibrated the trainer in the Tacx app - I just wondered if anyone else has experienced this/is it normal? Thanks
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Hmm - not sure - speed itself doesn't matter as it's the power output that's key.
    I did a rough check of power from my Smart Go against the Stages Power meter - and they were reporting very similar - so I have no doubt on the accuracy of the trainer.

Thinking logically - I think the simulator is calculating speed based on power & your weight - so if you're going downhill or drafting someone your virtual speed could easily be higher than your backwheel is turning.

Of course, it could equally be your cateye that is configured incorrectly as it is only measuring wheel revolution and calculating how far you would travel in the time against an assumed circumference...
  • cld531c
    Slowbike wrote:
    Hmm - not sure - speed itself doesn't matter as it's the power output that's key.
    I did a rough check of power from my Smart Go against the Stages Power meter - and they were reporting very similar - so I have no doubt on the accuracy of the trainer.

Thinking logically - I think the simulator is calculating speed based on power & your weight - so if you're going downhill or drafting someone your virtual speed could easily be higher than your backwheel is turning.

Of course, it could equally be your cateye that is configured incorrectly as it is only measuring wheel revolution and calculating how far you would travel in the time against an assumed circumference...

Thanks, Its all very strange. Cateye is accurate (distances on road compared to garmin). Was on a solo pretty flat course on Bkool so no drafting or downhills. As I only want to get better the speed doesnt matter per se, if I beat my last time I am improving, but trying to train for my first time trial and dont want to give myself false hope :-) Useful to know the power readings are reasonably accurate though - my w/kg wasnt too shabby for my current fitness so I am not too downhearted!
  • General rule for virtual cycling apps, the speed of your back wheel has nothing to do with the speed of your rider in the game. Don't attempt to compare.
  • cld531c
    General rule for virtual cycling apps, the speed of your back wheel has nothing to do with the speed of your rider in the game. Don't attempt to compare.

Is there a reson for this? Vanity??? Or different resistance levels? Thanks
  • cld531c wrote:
    General rule for virtual cycling apps, the speed of your back wheel has nothing to do with the speed of your rider in the game. Don't attempt to compare.

Vanity? WTF?

It's because the apps take your power input as the paramater for moving you through the virtual world which is affected by gradient, wind resistance, drafting etc etc. What your back wheel is doing is not relevant.
  • cld531c
    cld531c wrote:

Vanity? WTF

Fair enough! Thanks
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    The BKool simulator manual does say that it uses power to calculate speed.

http://static.bkool.com/static/manuals/simulator_EN.pdf
    So for example, a trainer from another brand outfitted with a power meter
    can let the simulator receive a power reading, which it then uses to calculate the
    speed during your session.
  • cld531c
    Slowbike wrote:
    The BKool simulator manual does say that it uses power to calculate speed.

http://static.bkool.com/static/manuals/simulator_EN.pdf
    So for example, a trainer from another brand outfitted with a power meter
    can let the simulator receive a power reading, which it then uses to calculate the
    speed during your session.

Thanks - old trainer was circa 30 years old so new technology taking some getting used to!
  • redjeepǃ
    redjeepǃ Posts: 531
    I bought a BKOOL trainer a couple of years ago and have used the BKOOL platform a lot, using both the Android and the Windows versions. In general I've been happy with it, but I stopped using it this winter primarily due to stability problems.

My internet connection is also pretty dire (~ 1Mb) which I also think is part of the problem, but doesn't seem to affect other platforms as much. I'm now mostly using Sufferest and although the video occasionally drops out it continues to run unlike the BKOOL platform which stops adjusting the incline once it's dropped out.

I still like the BKOOL format and found that I probably got a better work out where I was racing other people than I do with the Sufferfest. I also found Zwift a bit boring with limited courses etc. When (or if) my internet ever gets any better I can see me going back to it, at least to convince myself if it was the internet connection or the platform itself that was at fault.