SRAM or shimano

easton302
easton302 Posts: 2
edited January 2017 in MTB buying advice
I am thinking of upgrade my drivetrain and brakes but am not sure what I should get. I am wondering if I should go with sram x01 with shimano xt brakes or Shimano xt drivetrain and xt brakes. I have heard that shimano brakes are much better but I have heard sram shifters are better. I am aware of matchmaker problem solvers but want to know if sram x01 shifters and shimano xt brakes both mounted to the bars would be uncomfortable or if I should just get all xt. Thanks.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I would certainly stick with Shimano for the brakes, all Shimano (Deore and up) feel like XTR while all SRAM seem to feel like 10 year old Juicys (to me at least).

I wouldn't say SRAM shifters are better, they are just different. What gearing do you intend to use, if you want to run an XD hub (or a grip shift for that matter) and wider range cassette then you have to be more careful with the Shimano kit you pick for example.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I've no experience with shimano stuff but about 80% of bikes I looked at 2016 and 2017 models all had sram stuff.

I have x01 and guide r brakes which are incredible.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I quite like the way Sram shifters work, but have Shimano stuff (apart from the odd Sram shifter - Shimano compatible ones) on all my bikes.

I seem to have less hassles than friends with Sram stuff.

Based on approx. 1 million years of experience, or thereabouts.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I prefer Shimano brakes.
    SRAM are great until they need any sort of maintenance, and then they are a PITA. Shimano just keep working with little more than pad changes and a bleed every now and again.

However, I prefer SRAM gears to Shimano. They have a nicer feel and I like the 1-to-1 actuation.

My old Stumpjumper has XT brakes and did have SRAM brakes and they sat together perfectly on the handlebars. There was no problem with 'comfort'.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009