Looking for HELP - cheap Turbo Trainer - Zwift and general training

philrobinson
philrobinson Posts: 83
Hey guys and girls looking for some advice. Just got into cycling properly before Christmas and I am doing the London Paris bike 4 day bike ride in July. Picked up and old Cube agree HPA 20 speed bike and my missus has bought me for Christmas the cheap Aldi Turbo trainer. I have bought the wahoo HR and cadence and speed monitors can I use Zwift and will I get much from it with not having a good Turbo only have my iPhone 6s that would work on Zwift.
Thanks for your help and advice at the moment the Turbo is in the Garage as the Aldi one is pretty noisy, but I have power and Internet in there.
At the moment not using any other tools other than 30 minute HIIT training sessions 3 times a week doing 10 min warm up around 80 RPM cadence and then after the 10 min warm up doing 10 20 second HIITs with 40 second cool down pace and then 10 minute warm down at the end. Then at weekends getting out for a 40-50 mile bike ride. last ride was 44 miles 1200ft of elevation in 3hr10mins. Looking for some advice please to build stamina and strength using the turbo.

Cheers Phil

Comments

• I use Sufferfest instead of Zwift and it certainly helps when I can't get out on the bike but the old adage applies "you get out what you put in". In terms of spending a longer time in the saddle there really isn't anything better than road miles. The turbo can be good for getting used to multiple days riding if you can't get out on consecutive days.

300 miles over 4 days is easily achieveable based on what you are currently doing. It sounds like you weekend rides are flat. I'd check the route of the ride and see if you need to start adding climbs in, otherwise just extend.
  • Hey guys and girls looking for some advice. Just got into cycling properly before Christmas and I am doing the London Paris bike 4 day bike ride in July. Picked up and old Cube agree HPA 20 speed bike and my missus has bought me for Christmas the cheap Aldi Turbo trainer. I have bought the wahoo HR and cadence and speed monitors can I use Zwift and will I get much from it with not having a good Turbo only have my iPhone 6s that would work on Zwift.
    Thanks for your help and advice at the moment the Turbo is in the Garage as the Aldi one is pretty noisy, but I have power and Internet in there.

The good news is that you've got the correct sensors which will work with your iPhone and the iPhone 6S will run Zwift very nicely.

Unfortunately your turbo isn't one which is directly supported by Zwift (no surprises!) but that doesn't mean you can't give it a go just that the power and hence speed values you get out of it are going to be way off.

If I were you I'd go to Halfords and get the Tacx Blue Matic Smart for £99 which is still basic (no auto resistance adjustment) but will work out of the box with Zwift.
  • Thanks for the advice guys