Gluing tubs for track use

imposter2.0
imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
edited January 2017 in Track
New Pista CS tubs onto new aluminium rims with Mastik One. Tubs are stretched, with one coat of glue now on the base tape. One coat of glue on the rims this morning, to be followed by another one later this evening. The plan then was to put another coat on either sometime tomorrow or Weds before fitting the tubs straight after. So basically three coats on the rim and one on the tyre.

Would there be any reason to put further coats on either the rim or (in particular) the tyre?

thanks in advance.

Comments

• mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Imposter wrote:
    New Pista CS tubs onto new aluminium rims with Mastik One. Tubs are stretched, with one coat of glue now on the base tape. One coat of glue on the rims this morning, to be followed by another one later this evening. The plan then was to put another coat on either sometime tomorrow or Weds before fitting the tubs straight after. So basically three coats on the rim and one on the tyre.

Would there be any reason to put further coats on either the rim or (in particular) the tyre?

thanks in advance.

when my daughter did a lot of track, petrol to remove old glue, sand rim, de-grease rim, one coat on tub and then one on rim (leave 'till dry) then a final coat to rim and fit tub, leave for 2 or 3 days - basically follow Vitts instructions, they make the stuff and ought to know how to get the strongest joint.

A total nightmare to get off, cutting the tub off was the easiest method.

if it were me, i d now put one more coat on rim and fit tub.

BUT you need to do what you are comfortable with, its you riding not me.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Thanks mamba - second coat this evening, one more coat tomorrow and then tubs on I think..
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,548
    i'd do it as you described

only time i do an extra coat on the tub is if the basetape is 'thirsty'
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny