Hunt wheel hubs

Midlands Grimpeur
Midlands Grimpeur Posts: 340
edited January 2017 in Road general
Recently purchased a pair of hunt aero wheels. The hubs are pretty minimal which i could see from photos and read in reviews. I can take the end caps off just by gently pulling with fingers, no tools required. Once the cap is off the bearings themselves are then exposed.

As i intend to use them as winter wheels I am concerned about the lack of a proper seal to protect the bearings. Anyone got any experience with these wheels or thoughts in general?

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Recently purchased a pair of hunt aero wheels. The hubs are pretty minimal which i could see from photos and read in reviews. I can take the end caps off just by gently pulling with fingers, no tools required. Once the cap is off the bearings themselves are then exposed.

As i intend to use them as winter wheels I am concerned about the lack of a proper seal to protect the bearings. Anyone got any experience with these wheels or thoughts in general?
    Sound a lot like some American Classic hubs I had once.

Water will get in. But I'm guessing they use a readily available cartridge bearing. I'm also guessing they have a plastic cover over the bearing, which you can remove to regrease. Eventually it just gets too bug9ered but you can always flip the bearing and use the other one for a while.

TBH I prefer this sort of hub to Shimano, because with Shimano there is always a cone that's part of the hub, and once its pitted that shallots.
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    You shouldn't have got them for winter wheels mate... They're fair weather / racing wheels.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • Cheers for the replies.
    But I'm guessing they use a readily available cartridge bearing. I'm also guessing they have a plastic cover over the bearing, which you can remove to regrease.

Yes on both counts. Can buy replacement bearings for £5 a pop from Hunt so not too costly to replace. I guess they are no different to any other hub in that the part that will most likely require replacing first are bearings, these just may not last as long as in other hubs with a better seal.
    You shouldn't have got them for winter wheels mate... They're fair weather / racing wheels.

Fair shout mate. Now I have them up close it is clear they are probably not intended for year round use. With the 60 day ride and return policy I think I am going to give them a trial run for a few weeks and see how they work out.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    Which model wheels did you order? There is a 4Season dura Aero V2 wheel set that has double sealed bearings and extra hub cap seals, that they recommend for winter use.
  • maintenance is the key. If they are easy to open, then service them regularly... I have had a pair of Novatec for three years now and they are on their original bearings... I strip them roughly once a month... it only takes 5 minutes
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Dont pick the seals of the bearing though, the seals will never refit properly again. All you can do is pull the end caps off and clean everything up and smear a bit of grease on the bearing seals.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • vrsmatt
    vrsmatt Posts: 160
    Should have bought the 4 season wheels if concerned about using in the winter......it does explain in detail on the website which are best for what.
    Giant TCR Composite 1, Giant Defy Advanced 2, Boardman Comp, Santa Cruz Heckler, Raleigh M-Trax Ti, Strida LT, Giant Halfway
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    ah, so I bought the 24/31's and should only use them in fair weather? if I check them every couple of weeks and maintain them properly, i'll be fine?
  • First.Aspect
    Dont pick the seals of the bearing though, the seals will never refit properly again. All you can do is pull the end caps off and clean everything up and smear a bit of grease on the bearing seals.
    I don't agree. Pretty much no grease is going to get in that way.

So, if they need greasing (this being the main caveat) then smearing the outside in the hope that somehow some is going to get dragged inside is pointless. Either replace, or pick the covers off and regrease to get more life out of them.

Yes, they get slightly damaged when you lift them out but if you use an appropriate tool, this doesn't usually stop them from working entirely. And they aren't hard to put back.
  • vrsmatt
    vrsmatt Posts: 160
    philbar72 wrote:
    ah, so I bought the 24/31's and should only use them in fair weather? if I check them every couple of weeks and maintain them properly, i'll be fine?

I'm sure if you regularly inspect them then they will be ok but wont last as long as better sealed hubs, still if the bearings are easy to get at then shouldnt be a massive issue, but given that they actually sell 4 season wheels leads you to suggest those have better features for all year round use
    Giant TCR Composite 1, Giant Defy Advanced 2, Boardman Comp, Santa Cruz Heckler, Raleigh M-Trax Ti, Strida LT, Giant Halfway
  • cycleclinic
    You not meant to re grease cartridge bearings. The smearing of a bit of grease over the seals is done because grease is hydopohbic and less water will get in. It helps a bit but not alot. Also grease in the pawl area never hurts.

You do not pick seals of cartridge bearings as they will most often never go back the way they came off and more water will get in. If there is insufficent grease in the bearings to begin with then let them wear out and replace with better bearings.

Most of the advise above will do nothing to improve bearing life. so yes do maintenance but do not do pointless maintenance. Of course hub marketed for all weather use should not need regular maintenance. I have novatec disc brake hubs on my commuter bike. Use this every day I never take the hubs apart for maintenance, they dont need it but I put good bearings in from the word go. The rear axle is bent though so I should replace that before it breaks.
  • First.Aspect
    You not meant to re grease cartridge bearings. The smearing of a bit of grease over the seals is done because grease is hydopohbic and less water will get in. It helps a bit but not alot. Also grease in the pawl area never hurts.

You do not pick seals of cartridge bearings as they will most often never go back the way they came off and more water will get in. If there is insufficent grease in the bearings to begin with then let them wear out and replace with better bearings.

Most of the advise above will do nothing to improve bearing life. so yes do maintenance but do not do pointless maintenance. Of course hub marketed for all weather use should not need regular maintenance. I have novatec disc brake hubs on my commuter bike. Use this every day I never take the hubs apart for maintenance, they dont need it but I put good bearings in from the word go. The rear axle is bent though so I should replace that before it breaks.

Your advice is, if they start to run rough, replace them. Fine, if you are running a bike shop and you can't be responsible for any "off-piste" maintenance.

Here in the real world there is (a) no harm in adding more grease to slightly rough bearings - on the basis that at that stage they are close to the end of their lifetime unless you do anything - and (b) the bearings aren't going to suddenly stop working if you put a small nick in a plastic cover (particularly if its on the side facing away from the end cap).

If you are an oaf and you savage the covers, they will wash out very quickly. In which case you'll have knackered bearings, which is what you started with in the first place.

I hate overly conservative "better replace that" advice.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    No harm at all in doing the above, but what I personally would steer clear of is preventative maintenance of cartridge bearings. You are more likely to shorten their lifespan by introducing dirt that wasn't there in the first place.
  • First.Aspect
    robbo2011 wrote:
    No harm at all in doing the above, but what I personally would steer clear of is preventative maintenance of cartridge bearings. You are more likely to shorten their lifespan by introducing dirt that wasn't there in the first place.
    Same applies to any bearing, really (about dirt, I mean).
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Yes. the adage if it ain't broke, don't fix it applies here as it does for so many other things.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    VRSMatt wrote:
    philbar72 wrote:

I'm sure if you regularly inspect them then they will be ok but wont last as long as better sealed hubs, still if the bearings are easy to get at then shouldnt be a massive issue, but given that they actually sell 4 season wheels leads you to suggest those have better features for all year round use

Wise words. i'll save them for the spring and summer hilly rides then!
  • cycleclinic
    uhmm well I argued against preventative maintenance of cartridge bearings and get flamed and robbo211 argues the same thing and does not.

I hate overly conservative "better replace that" advice - so you like riding around on worn components then.
  • First.Aspect
    uhmm well I argued against preventative maintenance of cartridge bearings and get flamed and robbo211 argues the same thing and does not.

I hate overly conservative "better replace that" advice - so you like riding around on worn components then.
    No, you recommended something pointless.
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    Different opinions that's all.

As for OPs concern (you've all gone off topic) I have the Hunt Aero wheels and have used them since October till now and I don't see or feel any problems in the cold and wet.