Should I be worried? Carrera creak...

JDT
JDT Posts: 13
edited January 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi ive recently bought a Carrera sulcata from halfords (I know i know but it was a good deal for the spec and im a newbie) Anyway its developed a creak seems to only happen when pedaling and when the right pedal goes down.

Took it back and they replaced the bottom bracket spun around the car park and it was still creaking took it back in for theyre tech to look at. They have since replaced pedals and headset and re greased and re torqued everything the creak has gone but even they admitted they dont know how they fixed it.

Should i just ride it and hope its cured or maybe think about getting it returned/refunded to be fair they said they would have no problem refunding me if it happens again as they have already tried everything.

Or any ideas where the noise could have been coming from? I like the bike and was planning to upgrade the mechanical disks to hydraulic and some better tyres and it would be perfect for my riding (green/blue trails)

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Check the BB is tightened properly and that the cranks are torqued up.

Also check that the saddle clamp is tight enough on the seat post just in case the noise is being transmitted from there.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bikes creak randomly. If it's gone for now I wouldn't worry. It or another will come back sooner or later and something will need tightening or replacing.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JDT
    JDT Posts: 13
    Been out for an hour on it this afternoon and all is good!

For now anyway was just a bit worried with them replacing bb headset and pedals etc after just 2 weeks and 4 rides. Fingers crossed its sorted, The pedal's they fitted are awful compared to the originals I'm going to get them changed asap
  • Bike creaking is like ghosts of old houses. Sometimes they show up and are gone before you know it, sometimes they intend to stay unless you figure out how to make them go away. Absolutely anything can be creaking, saddle, seatpost, seatpost tube, bottom bracket, pedals, cranks (usually when they manage to get loose a bit), hubs.... eh, you get the idea. Worst of all, when riding, it's almost impossible to tell where exactly it is coming from and when the bike is stationary in the stand, it's often impossible to replicate.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    ...and as well as that applying grease is the go to solution of choice for creaking - which is because the creak is movement of metal against metal. The fact that Halfords have changed bits is ok - they have a greater ability to do this than you or I as they hold stock and will have come across the problem before.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll: