All round wheelset to replace DT Swiss RR 1450

JHolah
JHolah Posts: 20
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I need to replace a worn out set of DT Swiss RR1450s, with which I have been very happy - they have remained true and trouble-free, on my 2010 Pinarello FP1 workhorse. This is my only bike as budget/space constraints mean I have one for everything from winter rides to summer sportives/ racing and I need a wheelset to match.

Can anyone recommend a suitable replacement/ upgrade for these? I have been told that rebuilding wheels around the DT Swiss hubs, which still seem to have plenty of life in them, is not worth doing and might as well go for a wheelset.

My options so far (but not wedded to them) are:

Shimano Ultegra, because the bike came with Shimano and everything else has at some point been upgraded to ultegra-ish.(http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-ultegra-6800-wheelset/)

Shimano RS81, because Shimano, the mention of carbon and the deal that Wiggle currently has means I might be tempted to spend the extra if it's worth it (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-rs81-c2 ... -wheelset/)

Fulcrum Racing 3, because they seem like the sensible all-round choice (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fulcrum-racing- ... -wheelset/)

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Why is it not worth rebuilding?

Are these the conventional holes (Mon Chasseral) or the Tricon type?

The former are worth rebuilding, the latter might be more problematic
    left the forum March 2023
  • JHolah
    I *think* they are the Mon Chasseral. That would be with the J-type spokes and not double-threaded, right? My LBS suggested a wheelset over rebuild as saying cost would be similar in any case. They re/build wheels and don't supply wheelsets, so I've no reason to suspect an ulterior motive with this advice, but I'm happy to hear other opinions.

So I guess my question now is - is it worth looking to rebuild, and if not, what wheelset would be suitable.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Rs81 .... I didn't realise they were that cheap ... tempted by them myself now
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    fat daddy wrote:
    Rs81 .... I didn't realise they were that cheap ... tempted by them myself now

I am not sure £375 is cheap as such and I note they are out of stock in any case. The RS81s are nice light wheels with a very good hub (Ultegra) that will easily outlast the rim if well maintained. The rim width is looking a bit narrow by current standards for all rounder, so I would be more tempted by the Zonda c17 which offers a bit more and would work well with some decent 25mm tyres. Some folks complain about the RS81s having too much flex but I was ok with their predecessor (RS80s) but I am ~65kg. Funnily enough, I have just resurrected an RS80 back wheel to tide me over whilst my handbuilts are rebuilt (RR 411s onto DA 9000). Not sure the rules permit the stunning Aksium/RS80 combo I now have but, hey, its piffing down outside anyway :)
  • JHolah wrote:
    I *think* they are the Mon Chasseral. That would be with the J-type spokes and not double-threaded, right? My LBS suggested a wheelset over rebuild as saying cost would be similar in any case. They re/build wheels and don't supply wheelsets, so I've no reason to suspect an ulterior motive with this advice, but I'm happy to hear other opinions.

So I guess my question now is - is it worth looking to rebuild, and if not, what wheelset would be suitable.

Bear in mind those hubs as new (DT 240 s) are worth 300 pounds alone. Any wheelset in the 2-300 pound range use pretty average or budget hubs.

A rebuild with nice rims (say archetype) and top quality spokes (say sapim race/laser) on top of my head should come at give or take 200 pounds. I don't think you buy great wheels for 200 pounds.

I suggest you ask for a quote to the cycle clinic and then see if it's worth going that route or not
    left the forum March 2023
  • JHolah
    Thanks. I would rather build around the hubs if possible, as I hate chucking out usable stuff, especially if replacements are expensive (these wheels were 2nd hand to me, so no idea of the value of the hubs in the first place). I have also had similar advice re: Archetypes, so I'm thinking that may be the avenue to explore.