Small chip on my carbon fork - should I be worried?

lettingthedaysgoby
lettingthedaysgoby Posts: 1,732
edited January 2017 in Road general
As the thread title really.

Got back form a ride this morning and noticed this on my fork, it's somewhat annoying as I've only had the bike for a month :(

https://postimg.org/image/dwc1ftvhb/

https://postimg.org/image/ezw5rsg4f/

Is it merely a cosmetic thing I have to live with, or do I need to worry?

Comments

• It could be that the resin was a bit thin there and something flicked up by the wheel caught It wrong. Is there any star cracking which might suggest it was an impact? I would suggest having a word with whoever you bought it from, it could be a QC issue as there doesn't appear to be much / any fibre there.
  • Is there any star cracking which might suggest it was an impact?
    It's just as it is in the pictures to be honest. A small but (to my eyes at least) relatively deep chip.

Are there any sort of filler products available? I'm guessing if it is a stone that's chipped it I won't be covered with any sort of warrenty? :(
  • If you haven't had it long take it back and see what they say.
    Does it go all the way though or is it just a few layers deep?
  • It's not all the way through.
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    edited January 2017
    It looks like a problem with manufacture to me. If it was an impact I would expect to see lots of fibres, not a void as it appears in your photo. Also it is an unusual shape if it was an impact on the inside of the fork, usually if something gets caught in the spokes the resulting damage tends to be long and thin as it gets dragged past. You could just fill with resin then smooth and touch in with paint as I don't think strength will be too compromised to be an issue. However as it is fairly new I would be back at the supplier for a replacement.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • Looking at the chip I can't help but notice that it appears to have paint on it within the hole. I'd suggest possibly a QC issue at point of manufacture.

I'd be taking it back to the shop to see what can be done.
  • It was bought online so a return will be a pain :(

Will have a think over the morning coffee, cheers for the advice everyone.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,623
    Sure its not a drain hole, or a hidden mudguard eyelet, that's just partly covered with paint?
  • Sure its not a drain hole, or a hidden mudguard eyelet, that's just partly covered with paint?
    No, definitely a chip.
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    Sure its not a drain hole, or a hidden mudguard eyelet, that's just partly covered with paint?

Yep, that's what it looks like to me. What's the other fork leg like?
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    what bike is it?
  • Does look awfully like a drain hole or a mudguard mount. Proper central placing.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • First.Aspect
    No, definitely a chip.
    Either way, looking at the paint I would say that it has been there all along and that you've just recently pushed the paint into the hole underneath. Take the advice to check the other fork leg. If it is, then you'll be reassured that it is safe.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    My advice would be to take it to a shop. Get them to confirm it either way. If it's a chip then go and figure a way to conceal it. If on the other hand it's a defect I would demand a replacement from wherever you bought it. If little bits of it are going to start flaking off if could become a bigger issue. The integrity of the whole fork could be in question.
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    There is no way I would ride that. I'd insist on replacement.
  • First.Aspect
    Oh for crying out loud.
  • As bigjim said- if it lets the water in the carbon might start to dissolve, then the forks could fail catistrophically and kill you instantly.

Or, it could be a chip in the outer (cosmetic) layer which needs a bit of touch up paint.
  • bigjim
    BigGeordie wrote:
    As bigjim said- if it lets the water in the carbon might start to dissolve, then the forks could fail catistrophically and kill you instantly.

Or, it could be a chip in the outer (cosmetic) layer which needs a bit of touch up paint.
    Yea well. I'm very risk averse these days. I don't own a carbon bike anymore. I still end up riding carbon hire bikes in Mallorca on a regular basis so I'm not totally divorced from them. Two hours ago I came down hard on black ice. Banged my head, hip and elbow pretty good. Finished the ride but aching now. I was on a steel bike. If that had been a carbon job I would be all over my forks like a rash. But of course thats just me.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    If you are risk adverse does it make sense to be riding when there is a chance of black ice or was it something that caught you unawares? We had a group ride go down a couple of weeks ago due to ice even though the temp was about 5-6 degrees. Problem was that there had been a hard frost the day before and the particular section of road just happened to be low lying and well sheltered which must have prevented the temp from rising. The rest of the route was absolutely perfect. Took a while for folks to realise just what was taking riders down!
  • bigjim
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    If you are risk adverse does it make sense to be riding when there is a chance of black ice or was it something that caught you unawares? We had a group ride go down a couple of weeks ago due to ice even though the temp was about 5-6 degrees. Problem was that there had been a hard frost the day before and the particular section of road just happened to be low lying and well sheltered which must have prevented the temp from rising. The rest of the route was absolutely perfect. Took a while for folks to realise just what was taking riders down!
    Things happen. A narrow 2inch wide strip under the shade of a hedge. The rider at the side of me was fine. It was also about 6 degrees. No other ice about that I could see. Who would have thought? It was actually raining at the time. I don't wrap myself in cotton wool but I can't do anything about a hidden fault in a carbon fork that might just show as a scratch on the surface, so I avoid it. Funnily enough the side of my head hit the deck first I think, with such a bang it really shocked me. Never had that before.
    I take the risk In Mallorca because choice is limited. I once took a hire bike back to the shop because the headset was creaking badly. No question, quite concerned, he just gave me another bike and proceeded to strip that one down so it is an issue IMO.
  • apreading
    bigjim wrote:
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Things happen. A narrow 2inch wide strip under the shade of a hedge. The rider at the side of me was fine. It was also about 6 degrees. No other ice about that I could see. Who would have thought? It was actually raining at the time. I don't wrap myself in cotton wool but I can't do anything about a hidden fault in a carbon fork that might just show as a scratch on the surface, so I avoid it. Funnily enough the side of my head hit the deck first I think, with such a bang it really shocked me. Never had that before.
    I take the risk In Mallorca because choice is limited. I once took a hire bike back to the shop because the headset was creaking badly. No question, quite concerned, he just gave me another bike and proceeded to strip that one down so it is an issue IMO.

New helmet time, if the bang was that hard?
  • bigjim
    Yes. Thats what I thought, though there is no visual damage, but yes it was really hard. Felt like I'd been clubbed on the side of the head. I'm so suprised the plastic had not cracked.
  • First.Aspect
    bigjim wrote:
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Do you regularly strip the paint off your metal frames and check for cracked welds and signs of metal fatigue?
  • bigjim
    bigjim wrote:
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Do you regularly strip the paint off your metal frames and check for cracked welds and signs of metal fatigue?
    If you are looking to start a silly childish argument, you are trying to wind up the wrong guy. My opinion, your opinion. Whatever. The OP asked for opinions. He got mine. Move on.
  • If it's not a drain weep hole, you're lacking them on the forks.

Found this pic online. Look close near the dropout and you'll see the weep hole. By your pictures your fork doesn't have any. I may assume this is where it should be but they forgot to plug the hole at some point in the resin or paint process and it got painted over.

Then during riding it has opened itself up.

b6ykg1_img_0090.jpg
  • First.Aspect
    bigjim wrote:
    bigjim wrote:
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    If you are looking to start a silly childish argument, you are trying to wind up the wrong guy. My opinion, your opinion. Whatever. The OP asked for opinions. He got mine. Move on.
    Yes but mine's based on decades of education fueled by intelligence, and yours is nonsense.

I mean, what on earth is the relevance of a creaking headset?
  • apreading
    bigjim wrote:
    Yes. Thats what I thought, though there is no visual damage, but yes it was really hard. Felt like I'd been clubbed on the side of the head. I'm so suprised the plastic had not cracked.

Its not the plastic on the outside that matters. Helmets are like climbing rope - rated at one fall/crash only then dispose. Only you can decide how hard the impact was but based on how you describe it, I would get a new one.
  • apreading
    I dont understand why the OP hasnt been back to tell us what bike it is - would have been so much easier...

Anyway, looking at OPs post history, I can see they bought a Cube Attain back in December and it looks like that is what we are dealing with here - so the pic of Giant forks isnt really relevant.

I found this thread about mudguard mounts - apparently they are hidden but seem to be on the dropout itself looking at this thread here:
    https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/cube- ... ty.208058/

So this is definately not a mudguard mount. These are the special mudguards and they dont use a normal mounting on the front: http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-Cubeguard- ... _88066.htm

Personally I would take it to a Cube dealer, or failing that any random LBS and get a professional opinion from someone who can see it in the flesh. Thats not hard to do - probably wont cost anything for a quick look/see and could have been done by now for peace of mind. I probably wouldnt ride it until doing this, not because I would be super worried but because it would at least a little bit play on my mind and because I would have had it checked within 48 hours because it would be bugging the hell out of me until I knew...
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    apreading wrote:
    bigjim wrote:

Its not the plastic on the outside that matters. Helmets are like climbing rope - rated at one fall/crash only then dispose. Only you can decide how hard the impact was but based on how you describe it, I would get a new one.
    I'm pretty sure there isn't a climbing rope that's rated as one fall then dispose.
  • bigjim
    Yes but mine's based on decades of education fueled by intelligence, and yours is nonsense.

I mean, what on earth is the relevance of a creaking headset?
    Like I said. Move on. Lowering yourself to personal attacks because you do not agree with someone is pretty sad. PM me and we will arrange to meet up if you wish to make things personal.