Pet Cat

Garry H
Garry H Posts: 6,639
edited January 2017 in The cake stop
Bought a kitten a few weeks ago. Paid 80 quid for him and the seller told us it had been checked over by a vet. I found some ticks on him so wife took him to the vet where she was told the he is actually a she. Contacted the seller but she refuses to take the cat back and refund the money. Legally, is there anything we can do?

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    Keep it. Ask for a part refund. Although that could be described as a sort of feline sexism and that's just not on.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Garry H
    I would also like to claim back the money I've spent on cat food so far.

Where's Bender when I need him?
  • Garry H
    Oh, and she pi55ed on my shoe, after being assured that she was house trained.
  • pinno
    Garry H wrote:
    Oh, and she pi55ed on my shoe, after being assured that she was house trained.

That's a sign that she wasn't happy. Are you surprised?
  • Garry H
    Not really, he must have been thinking he had transgender issues
  • pinno
    Garry H wrote:
    Not really, he must have been thinking he had transgender issues

Especially of you named it 'Eric'. You have to embrace the metrosexuality of him/her.
  • Garry H
    Cat's called Max
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    Max can go both ways so you are covered.
  • Garry H
    Max can go both ways so you are covered.

Agreed. Thought of Maxine, but makes her sound like someone from Eastenders.
  • pinno
    ..or 'Maxi' as in Austin.
  • Garry H
    Pinno wrote:
    ..or 'Maxi' as in Austin.
    That what I call her. Wife's too young to remember them
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    Well i hope Maxi's stay is not brief.
  • Garry H

It will need to be. I,m not having a house full of kittens or forking out to get her pipes seen to, or whatever they do to them.
  • pinno
    Garry H wrote:

It will need to be. I,m not having a house full of kittens or forking out to get her pipes seen to, or whatever they do to them.

Have you discussed the little 'op' with Maxi?
  • Should sterilize all pet cats, male or female, unless you have a very good reason not to. If you dispute that then ask yourself why every reputable animal rescue charity that deals with rehoming cats neuter al cats that go through their books. If that is what they consider necessary then why is your cat different?
  • Garry H
    Should sterilize all pet cats, male or female, unless you have a very good reason not to. If you dispute that then ask yourself why every reputable animal rescue charity that deals with rehoming cats neuter al cats that go through their books. If that is what they consider necessary then why is your cat different?
    You misunderstood. We're not keeping it.
  • pinno
    Sterilise her and then claim back all expenses, including the food and the bicarb and vinegar used to clean the shoes.
  • Why not keeping it? Neutered female, what's your problem with that? If it's healthy and you like the look of the cat. Is it not fitting in for some reason?

I understand you might not like being mis sold the cat but if you've got a healthy cat what's really the issue? The only issue is neutering costs more for a female cat that i cat see.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,483
    Garry H wrote:

You'd need to get it castrated if it was a he, unless you fancy having a house that smells like a tomcat and him coming home with bits of ear missing and abscesses from fighting with other cats. Cats Protection League reckon £30-40 for castration or £50-60 for spaying, so not a massive extra cost. But I see TM has already kind of made that point. If you're paying £80 for a kitten, why no asking for paperwork?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Why not go to the Cats Protection League in the first place to grab a pussy and save 80 notes?
  • rjsterry
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Why not go to the Cats Protection League in the first place to grab a pussy and save 80 notes?
    They charge a fee to adopt - more tax efficient than asking for a donation - which varies but one I found was £60. Not much of a saving but it will already be neutered and checked over properly.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Garry H
    Ballysmate wrote:
    They only had scrawny looking things, no wonder they have to give them away for free.

Anyway, the seller lives in a council house near a prison somewhere. I'll tell her I'm a lawyer or something. I'll get my money back.
  • pinno
    Send it back pregnant.
  • Garry H
    Pinno wrote:
    Send it back pregnant.

What? And give her the opportunity to rip more people off.
  • rjsterry
    Garry H wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    They only had scrawny looking things, no wonder they have to give them away for free.
    As opposed to the tick infested, unneutered one, which probably also needs worming. :?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Garry H
    rjsterry wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    As opposed to the tick infested, unneutered one, which probably also needs worming. :?

I also think it's got something the matter with it, like mentally I mean. It keeps running around like a loon and falling off stuff. Can you tell if a cat has something wrong with its brain?
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    edited January 2017
    Garry H wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

I also think it's got something the matter with it, like mentally I mean. It keeps running around like a loon and falling off stuff. Can you tell if a cat has something wrong with its brain?
    Take a look at it; if it's a cat the answer is yes it has.

Seriously though. Take it to your nearest PDSA, explain that you've been had and ask for it to be neutered, with a bit of luck you'll get it done for a lot less or even nothing. Toms that have been done become much less aggressive and turn into home-loving gentle cats that spend most of their time flopped out on the carpet or under your bed when they're not out having a mooch about and conning the kids up the road into feeding him as well. We've got two - siblings, m & f. Easiest pets in the world to look after, certainly after they were both neutered [we paid for them both at the local vet] and Arthur stopped trying to give Edna one - ffs man she's your sister, leave her alone, go and sit on the windowsill staring vacantly out of the window for a couple of hours instead.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Garry H wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Garry H wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

its a kitten, all kittens get the zoomies :) its just playing and burning off energy
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    £80 for a kitten? What sort is it?

The older I get, the better I was.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    You are responsible for an animal. You've paid almost nothing for it, and you are baulking at the first expenses. You have signed up for about 18 years of costs to feed and look after it. Or did you not think of that?

Get it chipped, registered with a vet, get inoculations, get it spayed. Pick it up lots and play with it. Get a cat flap installed. Get pet insurance. Try to learn something about it. There isn't an instruction book, it doesn't take AA batteries and you can't switch it off.

If you can't afford it, find it a new home and don't ever get a pet again or consider breeding a child.

This thread and the OPs attitude makes me really angry.