Wind and riding outdoors.

2»

Comments

• Maybe it's not windy enough in the Fens, the Peaks, or London, or maybe it's just not gusty enough, but I can't think of a time in the last 15 years where it's been too windy to cycle.

Are you leaning into the wind?

West coast of Scotland. I've been on rides where yes, I'm leaning in the wind, getting pushed around on the road and felt like I was going to be blown through the window of Nardinis. It can get really, really windy out there.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Maybe it's not windy enough in the Fens, the Peaks, or London, or maybe it's just not gusty enough, but I can't think of a time in the last 15 years where it's been too windy to cycle.

West coast of Scotland. I've been on rides where yes, I'm leaning in the wind, getting pushed around on the road and felt like I was going to be blown through the window of Nardinis. It can get really, really windy out there.

I've done some touring there and one day in particular (up round Durness) it was so windy I had to get off and push my bike down a hill, which was difficult in itself. The road has lots of cuttings and a few times I was riding along and caught a crosswind and suddenly found myself in the oncoming carriageway.

Crossing the bridge at Kylesku was nigh on impossible even pushing - the panniers really catch the wind...

Did 120km that day and I don't mind admitting I had a few little crys... Real character building stuff though!!
  • bobmcstuff wrote:
    Maybe it's not windy enough in the Fens, the Peaks, or London, or maybe it's just not gusty enough, but I can't think of a time in the last 15 years where it's been too windy to cycle.

I've done some touring there and one day in particular (up round Durness) it was so windy I had to get off and push my bike down a hill, which was difficult in itself. The road has lots of cuttings and a few times I was riding along and caught a crosswind and suddenly found myself in the oncoming carriageway.

Crossing the bridge at Kylesku was nigh on impossible even pushing - the panniers really catch the wind...

Did 120km that day and I don't mind admitting I had a few little crys... Real character building stuff though!!

I'm not that far up, can be even more brutal round there! NC500 by any chance?

I'm usually Around the Trossachs (which isn't too bad inland), Cowal peninsula which can be horrible or down the coast from Greenock to Ayr. Heading to Largs was where I experienced the worst of it, never want to ride in crosswinds like that again.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243

If you think you've handled a bike okay to be passed by heavy traffic in 50mph gusts, you've been looking at the weather forecast for somewhere else. For example, somewhere without buildings to offer shelter. I suspect that the nearest such place to you, Rick, would be Wales. Have you ever been?

I spent 5 years riding in the Fens.

Y'know.

Road_in_the_Fens_-_geograph.org.uk_-_392320.jpg

The Fens.

And 3 years in the Peaks.

Y'know.

steep-twisty-minor-road-from-mam-tor-to-edale-in-the-peak-district-FXJD68.jpg

The Peaks.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498

If you think you've handled a bike okay to be passed by heavy traffic in 50mph gusts, you've been looking at the weather forecast for somewhere else. For example, somewhere without buildings to offer shelter. I suspect that the nearest such place to you, Rick, would be Wales. Have you ever been?

I spent 5 years riding in the Fens.

Y'know.

Road_in_the_Fens_-_geograph.org.uk_-_392320.jpg

The Fens.

And 3 years in the Peaks.

Y'know.

steep-twisty-minor-road-from-mam-tor-to-edale-in-the-peak-district-FXJD68.jpg

The Peaks.

The very high points of the peaks are, I'm sure, moderately windy. But that's about it. The Fens are one of the calmest places in the country.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/binaries/co ... _81-10.gif
  • The very high points of the peaks are, I'm sure, moderately windy. But that's about it. The Fens are one of the calmest places in the country.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/binaries/co ... _81-10.gif

That little dark blue section around the Firth of Clyde, that's where I've experienced the worst winds I've ridden in.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    I'm not that far up, can be even more brutal round there! NC500 by any chance?

I'm usually Around the Trossachs (which isn't too bad inland), Cowal peninsula which can be horrible or down the coast from Greenock to Ayr. Heading to Largs was where I experienced the worst of it, never want to ride in crosswinds like that again.

Many of the same roads but it was before the NC500 was a thing. 3 days from Lairg up to Tongue and Durness then down to Lochinver and back across to Lairg. I think we got all 4 seasons in 3 days as it sleeted quite a lot that day then the last day it got up to 25 degrees!

11039223_10101150565450023_2895694607866151438_n.jpg?oh=5d86a772c6d9a1f4019b5486a4d2defa&oe=58DBBFF5

(photo from the first day when it was cold but otherwise fine)

My office is on the Lancashire plain and when the wind gets up of the Irish Sea that can be quite breezy as well.