First bike for wife (£300-450)

nussprofessor
nussprofessor Posts: 3
edited June 2018 in Women
Hi all,

I'm looking for a nice bike for my wife. She's 5ft 1-2 (157cm), and rather small. Budget is around 300-450 max. The needs would be a nice hardtail for riding trails trough forest and some light-medium off-road. I'm not sure about size either. I think 15'' would be the best. I was looking into the women's Carrera Vulcan (379 at Halfords), but lowest size is 16 and there might be something better?

There's also the Cube Access WLS Disc, for 399.

http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/bikes/ ... -bike.html

Any thoughts?

Comments

• zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    Evans were doing cannondale trail 7 for 299.. bit of a bargain great bike, the wife loves it
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    If you are confident second hand bikes offer great deals as sone have hardly been ridden. Also don't rule out Mens mountain bikes, if they fit you have a lot more choice new or second hand.
  • Thanks for the replies guys! We went to Decathlon yesterday, mainly to see how the small size fits her. And it does quite all right, so it seems like a good option. The one I was looking at was the Rockrider 520:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-520-mountain-bike-id_8293188.html

Fork
    Rockrider XCR 100mm lockout fork by SR Suntour.

Drive train
    MIRANDA BETA BLACK aluminium 22x32x42 chainset
    Shimano X50 front derailleur;
    Shimano ACERA rear derailleur;
    Shimano ACERA 9-speed shifters;
    SRAM PC951 chain;
    PG950 9-speed cassette 11 X 32.

Brakes
    AURIGA Comp 160 mm hydraulic disc brakes at the front and rear for more braking power and accuracy, even in extreme

What do you think? How's Shimano Acera?
  • Have a look at the Cube Access WLS Disc bike, a very good bike for around £399 or less from Tweeks Cycles if you shop around :wink:
    Cube GTC Reaction SL - Green Black 2014
    Cannondale Synapse 105 - 2012
  • my gf has acrea on her merida juliet, no complaints,
  • my gf has acrea on her merida juliet, no complaints,

That sounds quite painful - has she got any ointment for it? :lol:
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Sorry, I misread the thread title as Bike for First Wife. I thought it sounded awfully modern...
  • keef66 wrote:
    Sorry, I misread the thread title as Bike for First Wife. I thought it sounded awfully modern...

Or old-fashioned - http://metro.co.uk/2015/06/22/where-exa ... l-5257418/
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I though the wife was being offered as payment for his first bike.....which would be very old fashioned!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • zx6man wrote:
    the wife loves it

:lol:
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    This is a good spec for the price.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... utain-bike
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • cubedean
    cubedean Posts: 670
    I've just bought the missus a diamondback heist 1.0 slx albeit slightly over your budget.
    1x11 Slx
    Deore brakes
    Raceface bar & stem
    Fork slightly lets it down being a suntour xcm but it's a great bike for the money.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    cubedean wrote:
    I've just bought the missus a diamondback heist 1.0 slx albeit slightly over your budget.
    1x11 Slx
    Deore brakes
    Raceface bar & stem
    Fork slightly lets it down being a suntour xcm but it's a great bike for the money.

Probably not the diamond she was after but its a start
  • cubedean
    cubedean Posts: 670
    cubedean wrote:
    1x11 Slx
    Deore brakes
    Raceface bar & stem

Probably not the diamond she was after but its a start

Haha I have found one who doesn't care for diamonds ;)
  • Laura Trott MTB from Halfords, 1x11 nx, Raidon forks with through axle, only Tektro brakes.
    End of line £350
  • Edanan
    Edanan Posts: 3
    edited July 2018
    I was going to suggest a Grom but I see it has a 4 speed. I have wondered whether there is a market for a bike that has scooter mechanicals but looks more like a motorcycle, your wife suggests there is. There are some nice looking scooters out, maybe if you get her on one she would warm up to it and you could mod a few things to make it look 'cooler'. There is a place to put your stuff, very appealing! Some people do some crazy things with the Ruckus.

You could get her a scooter and have her get some miles on it it to learn with the goal of moving up to a bigger auto-transmission bike.

______________________________________________________________________________
    There are no solved problems; there are only problems that are more or less solved.
    Cheers,Edanan Diceus
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Edanan wrote:
    I was going to suggest a Grom .... waffle, nonsense, waffle ...

You could get her a scooter and have her get some miles on it it to learn with the goal of moving up to a bigger auto-transmission bike.

You do know this is a mountain bike forum, don’t you? :roll:
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • simono5
    simono5 Posts: 42
    This one from Halfords. My wife has one and it's brilliant and often discounted to £410 if you have time to wait.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... -18-frames

With 10% off from British Cycling it turned out to be a real bargain.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Did you bother to read the original post? It’s from 3.5 years ago and the OP hasn’t posted since.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    JBA wrote:
    Edanan wrote:
    I was going to suggest a Grom .... waffle, nonsense, waffle ...

You do know this is a mountain bike forum, don’t you? :roll:

And a 16 month old post!
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • Clearly all women can ride all bikes, as they’re not gender specific but if you’re new to biking and are looking for a few motorcycle recommendations...Soo

I ride an ER6 and a Honda Shadow 750. The shadow is a lovely low bike for a wee short person like me, but it’s quite hard to handle… especially bends and tight corners… whereas the ER is higher in the seat but brilliant at swinging into the good old Scottish roads. Depends if you’re after comfort (shadow) or fun (ER). Safe riding folks.
    Evidently, the world of logistics is still heavily shaken by the influence of the global health crisis. Improve your logistics https://innovecs.com/blog/retail-supply-chain-trends/