Garmin repair

pbassred
pbassred Posts: 208
edited January 2017 in Workshop
Long story short. My Garmin edge 1000 screen is scratched. I think Garmin UK do a fix price refurb repair service. Does anyone know how much that is?

Comments

• The screen assembly is £80-90 on its own - video here on how to replace. https://youtu.be/utbKpULUvr4

If you go for a Garmin "repair" you will definitely get a refurbished unit back and not yours repaired.
  • pbassred
    If you go for a Garmin "repair" you will definitely get a refurbished unit back and not yours repaired.
    Actually I don't mind that. The company I work for does exactly that. but we refurbish to current spec. If that means replacing the case or chassis or even the main board they just do it. The parts are cheaper than making the decision and since we cant afford the send a customer a worse unit that they sent, it needs to go out spotless, so the customer actually gets new for old.
    If that's £65 inc shipping its not too bad.
  • Well, the spec of the current unit is the same as release (probably been through some manufacturing changes/"improvements" though) - so you may get one back that looks all shiny and new but have the innards from 2014 (do they replace the battery in the refurbished units? I don't know but if not, you could get one that's been abused and liable to early failure... and another gamble with a refurb...)

With a 90 day warranty.
  • pbassred
    Mine has the innards of a 2014 unit, because its a 2014 unit. It was an ebay gamble that didn't pay off and I should have just bought new. Never mind. The Garmin site is a quagmire but I finally navigated to the repair centre. The cost is £82 inc Vat. I hadn't considered the new battery or the 90 day warrantee So its actually a better deal than just buying the screen.
    It sux overall but its the best route (from here) to a good unit.
  • pbassred
    Well, just to round it off:-
    I waited until the new year to send it for repair (the 4th Jan I think). It was cheaper to get a return number by phone £72.5 rather than the £82 online price. I received a replacement/refurbished unit by the 9th. Its a bright shiny pristine unit. No marks on it including the mount.
    So if you can't afford a new Edge 1000, buy a complete piece of junk on Ebay and send it in for refurb!
  • LukeTC
    LukeTC Posts: 211
    pbassred wrote:
    Well, just to round it off:-
    I waited until the new year to send it for repair (the 4th Jan I think). It was cheaper to get a return number by phone £72.5 rather than the £82 online price. I received a replacement/refurbished unit by the 9th. Its a bright shiny pristine unit. No marks on it including the mount.
    So if you can't afford a new Edge 1000, buy a complete piece of junk on Ebay and send it in for refurb!
    Now get yourself a screen protector so it doesn't happen again :lol:
  • pbassred
    Longer story:- I bought it 2nd hand "as new" - except it wasn't, so I got a partial refund. I thought I could live with it but it bugged me.
    Anyway:- screen protector, rubber case, lanyard. :wink:
    Which makes me wonder - same as phones - why don't they build them with a replaceable screen protector?