Went on a long ride. Crank came off

Blond
Blond Posts: 36
edited January 2017 in Road general
I rode my bike on a 60 mi ride back to university and 15 miles left my fucking left crank came off. I ride with normal trainers so cycling the remaining one leggeded was out of the equation. When my crank came off, i was so angry i threw my bike at the side of the road and ragged for a while. Many people came to try and help to push the crank in to no avail which was very kind. One guy help me to the nearest bike shop which was 2 minutes away which was very weird as out of all the places my bike couldve broken down, the bike shop was only 2 mins away. It was raining and was around 4 so it already got dark by this time. Luckily the bike store helped me to simply fix it and the requested little money. I told them my bike came from online and they insisted the essence of getting such bike serviced if bought online.

Fuck me man if there was no bike store or it happened anywhere else, id have to walk literally two-three hours with my bike home!!

My point is try to be nice to other people/cyclists as they could be left stranded for hours. Before if i saw a cyclist at the side of the road, i couldnt care less (most of the time all i care about is getting the prestigious KOM), but if they puncture etc, ill be much inclined to help!

Comments

• Karma, it's a bitch.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    That was lucky! Glad you are now a more rounded human being b.1998, welcome to the concept of empathy.
  • Blond
    Karma, it's a *****.
    Yeah but what was soo odd was the place my bike broke down was only 1 min from the bike shop. It couldve broken down anywhere else?? I wouldve had to walk an hour to the bike shop if it happened any sooner? Just questions whether god exists
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Strava or it didn't happen.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    edited January 2017
    Blond wrote:
    Just questions whether god exists

If there is a god, he owns a bike shop and throws lightning bolts as passing cyclists.

you were not lucky your bike brike there .. you are not lucky at all ...... the bike shop owner was the lucky one
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    Which is why you should learn bike maintenance and carry some tools with you, to do roadside repairs. Is it a new bike? It is a good idea to check the security of the various fastenings before and after your first few rides.
  • Pardon? I'm all for comedy post edit quotes but I didn't write anything remotely like that.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • benjamess
    benjamess Posts: 159
    Pardon? I'm all for comedy post edit quotes but I didn't write anything remotely like that.

i think he quoted both yours and B.1998's post but cut the wrong bit (the god part was part of his post not yours)
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    rectified !!!! ... sorry Mr Homer really didn't want to put blonds words in your mouth ........ seriously .... sorry !!!!
  • Blond
    fat daddy wrote:
    Blond wrote:
    Just questions whether god exists

If there is a god, he owns a bike shop and throws lightning bolts as passing cyclists.

you were not lucky your bike brike there .. you are not lucky at all ...... the bike shop owner was the lucky one
    THe store basically helped me for free
  • Blond
    cooldad wrote:
    I didnt strava it as i was very lethargic and sick that day. I went slow as a result and the elevation over the 60 mi was very new to me mainly given where i'm from and the elevations i train on. I got lost following my GPS a few times so i have to deaccelerate and turn constantly and the last 10 miles, my garmin died, so i had to eyeball my way back home and also it was raining, cold, and dark, with 15 mph headwind,- the definition of UK weather.
  • I started riding on a gifted 1991 Trek 1100. I could only make it about 15 mi at a time in the beginning. I got lucky and got about 2 miles from home and got a flat.

The stem had separated from the tube. It was an old weird all in one tube/tire. Not a tubular either, weird. A very seasoned and strong rider on a very flash Giant stopped to help when he saw me pushing.

He helped me disassemble and try, but once we saw the type we couldn't replace the tube. He was ready to let me use his spare.

It taught me kindness and preparedness. I stopped and helped a guy one day change a flat, he wasn't strong enough to work the tire levers and his CO2 or N2 cartridge had simply sputtered without filling. I had a hand pump.

Now, if I see a stopped rider or riders I will while rolling ask if they have what they need. If not or they seem they don't, I stop. If they nod me on, I go on.

I also now carry a fully kitted seat bag and added Uber to my phone apps.

My one big break was 10 mi from home the wife came to get me when I broke a chain. Now I carry a mini-break and a KMC missing link.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Blond wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    I didnt strava it as i was very lethargic and sick that day. I went slow as a result and the elevation over the 60 mi was very new to me mainly given where i'm from and the elevations i train on. I got lost following my GPS a few times so i have to deaccelerate and turn constantly and the last 10 miles, my garmin died, so i had to eyeball my way back home and also it was raining, cold, and dark, with 15 mph headwind,- the definition of UK weather.

Slower than your normal rides? How did the bike stay upright?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • benjamess
    benjamess Posts: 159
    cooldad wrote:

Blond wrote:
    I ride with normal trainers

don't forget he rides at 250w for 20 mins using his trainers and vectors :?: :?: :?:
  • Blond
    cooldad wrote:
    Blond wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

I managed to perfect the art of track start.
  • Blond wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

This sounds suspiciously like all the excuses in the book - and you decided not to track yourself before you set off and went wrong?
    Road - '10 Giant Defy 3.5
    MTB - '05 Scott Yecora
    BMX - '04 Haro Nyquist R24 (don't judge me)
  • LukeTC
    LukeTC Posts: 211
    Blond wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Blond wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

I managed to perfect the art of track start.
    Womens-team-pursuit-World-Cup-Ma.jpg
    Yeah man, my Dad taught me to ride by holding onto the back of my saddle too
  • Blond wrote:
    Yeah but what was soo odd was the place my bike broke down was only 1 min from the bike shop. It couldve broken down anywhere else??

This must mean you're a good person.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    DFTT
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Blond
    benjamess wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Blond wrote:
    I ride with normal trainers

don't forget he rides at 250w for 20 mins using his trainers and vectors :?: :?: :?:
    Whats wrong with trainers and vectors?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Bored of this clown.
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    Imposter wrote:
    Bored of this clown.

At least he seems to stay within the bounds of Road General. Lord knows what would happen if he discovered The Cake Stop or Bottom Bracket.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    why couldn't you just put the crank back on? or am I missing something?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Do you think this guy has to wear a bib to brush his teeth?
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    Do you think this guy has to wear a bib to brush his teeth?

Not sure he's old enough to have teeth.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    Blond wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

This sounds suspiciously like all the excuses in the book - and you decided not to track yourself before you set off and went wrong?

Wait, what? One only records a ride on Strava if one knows it will be fast?

I'm doing it wrong. :(
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • Blond wrote:
    I rode my bike on a 60 mi ride back to university and 15 miles left my ******* left crank came off.

No, you rode your bike on a 15 mile ride to university.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    Crank off? So one side of bike ok. Ever heard of scooting? You can travel for miles scooting a bike. Only time you need to walk is the odd uphill. Ride down and scoot on the flat. Easy. Why am I telling a cyclist this? :roll:
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,594
    I blame the mechanic who built the bike.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.