Saris Bones 3

timbo_tim
timbo_tim Posts: 199
edited January 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi All

Thinking of getting the Saris Bones 3 (though quite like the look of the "Super Bones") but before committing, wanted to see if anyone has any horror stories to be aware of - severe paint damage / bikes falling off etc.

I appreciate tow bar hitches may be better but can't justify the cost of adding a tow bar on top of getting the rack. Bikes being transported wont be of significant value (Boardman MTBs and kids bikes), so I don't need to be overly precious but equally wouldn't like to actively damage said bikes.

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I had one. You'll never get three bikes on it. It's just not possible without loosening stems ti turn bars Inline with wheels.
    No damage to bike paint but it did leave some marks on the boot lid of my VW Passat saloon. Probably better on a hatch, coupe or estate.
    It's not suitable for all bikes, depends on frame shape and shock position.
    Also not suitable for all cars, it wouldn't work on my Mondeo because the rear bumper wasn't rigid enough.
  • Gobs
    Gobs Posts: 296
    Rather than starting a new thread, the 2 says it will fit on my 2001 SLK, but doesn't list the 3 on the website. As it looks just a larger version of the 2 I can't see why it wouldn't fit.