Di2 - different lights since firmware upgrade

carbineacs
carbineacs Posts: 65
edited May 2018 in Workshop
Hi, I've got Di2 6870, and a couple of months ago on a ride the battery died, even though the charge indicator said 75% when I put it in the car.
As this was unusual, I did a firmware update with e-tube, and haven't ridden the bike since as winter has come. However the battery did go back to 75% again even though I wasn't using the bike. I looked for more firmware updates, and there was a new one for the main junction box SM-EW90 which I applied.

Now, the main point of what I'm asking is that now when I do a battery check, the unit displays the battery charge at 100%, solid green. BUT, then it flashes the charge indicator green, and the +/- light red at the same time, for around a second and then shuts off.

Does anyone know what this means? Is it a new feature of the latest firmware (Nov 2016 I think) or is it a new error or something? I can't seem to find anything for this behaviour elsewhere on the internet, so I'm hoping some DI2 experts on here might be able to help! I'm fairly technical so taking things apart and electronics don't worry me.

Local LBS's do not have DI2 diagnosics.
Thanks
Rule #65 // Maintain and respect your machine.

Comments

• bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    I updated my 6870 firmware at the weekend and am also getting the same indications. I was going to post exactly the same question after doing some searching. I also found nothing relevant.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • Maybe it's expected behaviour then, if you're getting it too. I will see if my LBS can contact Madison direct can find out from them. If I do get any info, I will update on here.

Hopefully someone else will read this, maybe someone from Shimano or Madison!

Firmware changeling doesn't seem to have any mention of it either.
  • bbrap
    Good luck, hope you can get a definitive answer. I know charging is affected by temperature, I just wonder if that could cause it, its been below zero in my garage.
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
  • This is normal with the updates. It's to do with going into Bluetooth transmission mode I believe. (Even though you need the Dfly unit for that).
  • bbrap
    This is normal with the updates. It's to do with going into Bluetooth transmission mode I believe. (Even though you need the Dfly unit for that).

Excellent news. I just wish things like this were explicitly stated on the relevant Shimano pages rather than rely on knowledgeable people to deduce and pass the info on.

Many thanks.
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
  • bbrap wrote:
    This is normal with the updates. It's to do with going into Bluetooth transmission mode I believe. (Even though you need the Dfly unit for that).

Excellent news. I just wish things like this were explicitly stated on the relevant Shimano pages rather than rely on knowledgeable people to deduce and pass the info on.

Many thanks.

Yeah, Shimano is making a pig's ear of the whole launch of the new 9150 Di2. Some bits available, some aren't. Updates that change your system for functionality that you don't have, etc. etc.

And the new Junction A control box in the handlebar end should be interesting as very few bars have the requisite holes drilled in them.....

And very few LBS's have the time or the inclination to get up to date with all this, so you're pretty much on your own really.
  • Found an answer on Shimano-Road Facebook page. Madison said they will take up to two weeks to reply so gave up on that!

Here is the definitive answer:

Thanks for contacting us.

You probably have updated your junction A (SM-EW90 or similar) to the newest firmware. This firmware is ready to function with synchronized shifting. This is a new feature of our new Duta-Ace R9150 groupset.

For more information please check www.duraace.com

With synchronized shifting you can change between modes and the junction will show, by LED lights, which mode is selected. When both LED's are burning this means you are in manual mode and you have to change front and rear derailleur manually.

In the setup you are using only manual shifting is possible but it will still show this by illuminating both LED lights for 2 seconds.

Kind regards,
  • I have just purchased a brand new bike with Dura Ace Di2 9070.
    Got it delivered from the shop two days ago and having exactly the same "problem". I joined the forum precisely to ask this question!

I called the shop and they had no idea why this was happening. Good to hear that it is because of the upgrade...
  • Glad my post and research helped then!
  • Coming back in on this one, I'm pretty sure that first press on Junction A, which gets green and red lights flashing together(ish) is to enable Bluetooth, not synchro shifting (which as far as I know is not even available on DA yet).

In this video, you can see how it works;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIzcTYLm3PI
  • Thanks, I've just had my bike back after having the bar end junction box a fitted and noticed this different light pattern. Thought I'd post to say I got the junction from a German site, seems to be a tidy solution, although apparently getting the cable through the bars was difficult due to some production materials inside.
  • MrMajic wrote:
    Thanks, I've just had my bike back after having the bar end junction box a fitted and noticed this different light pattern. Thought I'd post to say I got the junction from a German site, seems to be a tidy solution, although apparently getting the cable through the bars was difficult due to some production materials inside.

Which site did you get the Junction box from? They're still pretty hard to find....?
  • gnave
    gnave Posts: 65
    In relation to 6870 DI2 To update or not to updates? This is the question.

Shim.png
    free webcam hosting
  • paulwood
    paulwood Posts: 231
    I seem to be getting the same light pattern after a firmware update by LBS with my Ulterga system.
  • holsen
    holsen Posts: 2
    I've the same problem but worse. My internal battery has been through about 8 charge cycles. Gave it a full charge a week ago and 5 minutes into my first ride, I lost all power. Limped home, gave a full charge, and 10 minutes into the next ride, same problem. I updated my firmware 2 weeks ago and theats when all the trouble started. There's something not right here.
  • jig
    jig Posts: 134
    Spotted this after I upgraded my original ultegra di2 to 6800 di2 kit and flashed the new firmware. The info posted by carbineqs about the synchronised shifting makes perfect sense once you watch the new dura ace video and explains why you get a green and red light flash up.
  • paulwood
    paulwood Posts: 231
    holsen wrote:
    I've the same problem but worse. My internal battery has been through about 8 charge cycles. Gave it a full charge a week ago and 5 minutes into my first ride, I lost all power. Limped home, gave a full charge, and 10 minutes into the next ride, same problem. I updated my firmware 2 weeks ago and theats when all the trouble started. There's something not right here.

I had the same thing, battery going flat very quickly, though it would last for a days riding. Swapped for a new battery under Shimano warranty and problem has gone away
  • BTW in case anyone cares, it was just a coincidence about the charge.
    LBS diagnosed it as a battery fault, and replaced it under warranty with Shimano / Madison.

Light was firmware, I just hoped the firmware would fix the drain issue, but it was simply a faulty battery. New one is even better, I've done over 300 miles and it's still saying 100% which is amazing!
  • Hi All,
    I ve got in touch with Shimano service centre here in UK and this is the reply i got from them.

The Bicycle Service <info@thebicycleservice.co.uk>
    Reply|
    Today, 09:05
    You
    Jasbir

I believe thats a feature related to the synchro shift feature on the newer Di2 range, it flashes to indicate which shift mode it’s in. I assume yours is sharing the same firmware despite not having this feature.

Gareth

The Bicycle Service
    info@thebicycleservice.co.uk
    020 8549 6069

On 19 Sep 2017, at 17:01, Jasbir Singh Sohel <jss_pks@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

Hi All at the bike service,
    Hope you can help.
    I updated my 6870 firmware to the latest available at the weekend and when I do a battery check, the unit displays the battery charge at 100%, solid green. BUT, then it flashes the charge indicator green, and the +/- light red at the same time, for around a second and then shuts off.
    Is there a problem or glitch in the firmware ?
    I had a 8 mile ride today but had no problem shifting the gears.
    Jasbir.
  • When you say Shimano service centre, do you mean the servicing dept of the bike shop in the row of shops on Richmond Road in Kingston? That is thebicycleservice.co.uk
  • dinse
    dinse Posts: 1
    Very useful post indeed! I came across the topic because I saw the same behavior after my latest update of the control box. My Di2 is first generation, but the control box is the newest one, after I upgraded the battery system with an integral one, when I changed frame!
    So the battery level is always indicated by the green light behavior. My battery is giving about 2000Km, with mixed front/rear shifting activity.
  • Really interesting post. I’ve just updated my Ultegra 6870 Di2 and now getting the red flashing light as well as the normal green battery light.

Reason is I’m worried is my front mech stopped working out on a ride but had a full battery. It’s now working after a push of the wires.

Can’t be my battery as the green light stayed solid.

I’m going to invest in the Bluetooth connector so it tells me my battery level.
  • jig
    jig Posts: 134
    Mine has done it since I upgraded my di2 from the original 10 speed ultegra to 11 speed last year. I do bot have Bluetooth but have not had any issues at all to be honest.
  • Ok thanks. Will have to keep an eye on this as I have a 100 mile Sportive next weekend