Frametape

Ross Gardner
Ross Gardner Posts: 230
edited January 2017 in MTB buying advice
I just found out about this stuff. Are there any recommendations?

Probably going to get the "Man up, everything gets damaged eventually" garb. Oh well, at least I asked.

Comments

• LimitedGarry
    LimitedGarry Posts: 400
    edited January 2017
    Yeah. If you intend to get frametape, definitely get it for the downtube and nothing else. That's the one spot that's going to get abused by rocks and debris thrown by the front wheel. I've got a few dings there myself and I most likely will get a tape to protect it from further damage.

The next obvious spot might be the chainstay (which, admittedly, is where most will have frametape) but I'd suggest to get a neoprene chainstay guard instead, as it also makes chainslapping quiet.

I've seen frametape that's supposed to protect the frame from "slapping bowden cables" and I'm like "are you kidding me?" The downtube and chainstay can really use the protection though.
  • Is there any real difference from manufacturer to manufacturer?

Oh and yeah: chain stay protectors are a must.
  • Is there any real difference from manufacturer to manufacturer?

Oh and yeah: chain stay protectors are a must.

Honestly, I don't there is much of a difference. This is the category of stuff I buy exclusively from Aliexpress, because it's pretty much guaranteed to be the same stuff you buy locally, just for a fraction of the price.
    Just a quick search, you can get something like this
    https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/1pc-100-15cm-PVC-Bicycle-Frame-Protector-Rhino-Skin-Protector-Stickers-Decal-Cycling-MTB-Bike-Protected/2393083_32710728017.html

Unless you want something that will protect the frame from landing on larger rocks, then you need to go heavy duty.
  • Unless you want something that will protect the frame from landing on larger rocks, then you need to go heavy duty.

Such as?
  • Aforementioned helicopter tape if you care but don't want to be too obvious.
    If you just want the best kind of protection, do as demonstrated in the picture below
    Mountain-Proof-your-Mountain-Bike-19-of-30-2000x1333.jpg
    In case you're wondering, yeah, it's a used tire. I'm not too much into AM or DH, but i hear it's not really as uncommon as one might think.
  • oxoman wrote:
    3m helicopter tape is the best normally but don't expect everything advertised on fleebay as 3m to be 3m.

Guess I'll have to be careful.

Is there an official place to get the tape from?

And how much do I need?
  • daff
    daff Posts: 81
    I use clear "Gorilla" tape - it's great and is a fraction of the price of helitape. It goes on great and is strong enough to protect against most scrapes.
    A roll is only something like a fiver from Amazon and there is plenty on there to replace when necessary. It doesn't appear to "yellow" like some of the cheap, sold as "helitape" does
  • That tyre idea is brill, looks pretty cool too!
    Might have to spray an old tyre white to match the Boss's colours!
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    daff wrote:
    I use clear "Gorilla" tape - it's great and is a fraction of the price of helitape. It goes on great and is strong enough to protect against most scrapes.
    A roll is only something like a fiver from Amazon and there is plenty on there to replace when necessary. It doesn't appear to "yellow" like some of the cheap, sold as "helitape" does

that is a good idea.

currently I am using 3M protective film spray but the Gorilla tape definitely will be stronger but just thought of using Gorilla tape that way.
  • qube
    qube Posts: 1,899
    I use this stuff....

http://ebay.eu/2j25HPg

Doesn't wash off and no yellowing after a few years on the bike.

Soften it up with a hairdryer first and it goes on a treat.
  • That tyre idea is brill, looks pretty cool too!
    Might have to spray an old tyre white to match the Boss's colours!

You need to prick around with the tire and overall setup for the bike to not look like a raider barricade from Fallout 3, but I'm actually surprised that such a ghetto setup can look so respectable. I've seen a bike IRL that had similar thing going on. At first I was staring at it, wondering what's strange about that bike's downtube. When I looked closer, my mind got split into thousands of small fragments and dispersed rapidly into nearby surroundings.
    When it comes to actual protection, It's one of the best solutions. Cheap and dependable.
  • Love the way it looks to be honest, i know its ghetto but it will do the job, cheap and easily replaced/repaired!
    As long as you can get it on without it slipping and/or being wonky i think it would look the nuts :)
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    Qube wrote:
    I use this stuff....

http://ebay.eu/2j25HPg

Doesn't wash off and no yellowing after a few years on the bike.

Soften it up with a hairdryer first and it goes on a treat.

Like phone screen cover. Pain to stick them on and curve them around the bike.

Did that on two of the bike. Took whole day to get that thing on all over the bike. But they are still on it after 5 years.
  • iwilldoit
    iwilldoit Posts: 710
    Got some clear Gorilla tape today for my sons DH bike not as thick as 3M Heli Tape but seems to mould it self better on contours etc, see how it last but so far so good.
  • hsiaolc wrote:

currently I am using 3M protective film spray

A spray? Link please?

How much of the 3M helicopter tape do I need?