Big Bad Business vs Plucky Little Guy?

First.Aspect
First.Aspect Posts: 14,623
edited January 2017 in Road general
Since I'm not on Facetube or anything, I can't comment on this without a forum thread:

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... qus_thread

What does the hive mind think - big business screwing the little guy? Or is the little guy actually Eric Cartman?

Comments

• Pretty sure the Lightspeed Archon C3 had a slight concave downtube to get the bottle cage lower and tighter to the frame. It hardly seems very innovative, hence the design patent.
  • First.Aspect
    Pretty sure the Lightspeed Archon C3 had a slight concave downtube to get the bottle cage lower and tighter to the frame. It hardly seems very innovative, hence the design patent.
    Its not a design patent, believe it or not.
  • Since I'm not on Facetube or anything,
    Or is the little guy actually Eric Cartman?

Who?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I never thought I would see a Chinese company complaining that someone was in breach of their patents
  • Pretty sure the Lightspeed Archon C3 had a slight concave downtube to get the bottle cage lower and tighter to the frame. It hardly seems very innovative, hence the design patent.

Really?! That's... err... Ok.

As far as I know Taiwan aren't signatories to PCT are they? So basically, unless he's filed an international patent elsewhere he's shit out of luck I think.
  • First.Aspect
    Pretty sure the Lightspeed Archon C3 had a slight concave downtube to get the bottle cage lower and tighter to the frame. It hardly seems very innovative, hence the design patent.

As far as I know Taiwan aren't signatories to PCT are they? So basically, unless he's filed an international patent elsewhere he's shoot out of luck I think.
    There appear to be pending applications in China and Korea. Not sure what stage these two are at.

Besides, don't Pinarello manufacture and sell in Taiwan?

As far as I know Taiwan aren't signatories to PCT are they? So basically, unless he's filed an international patent elsewhere he's shoot out of luck I think.
    There appear to be pending applications in China and Korea. Not sure what stage these two are at.

Besides, don't Pinarello manufacture and sell in Taiwan?

I didn't think the manufacturing location mattered. I thought it was just the sales location. As such they could block sales where they have the patent but not elsewhere.
  • First.Aspect
    No, manufacture, use, offering for sale, sale and importation are probably infringing acts. In principle.
  • No, manufacture, use, offering for sale, sale and importation are probably infringing acts. In principle.

Fair enough, thanks for the clarification.

Pinarello have responded, pretty much accusing Velocité of patent trolling:

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... nts-48961/

Time to sit back and watch the school-yard type lawyer antics unfold...
  • First.Aspect
    No, manufacture, use, offering for sale, sale and importation are probably infringing acts. In principle.

Fair enough, thanks for the clarification.

Pinarello have responded, pretty much accusing Velocité of patent trolling:

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... nts-48961/

Time to sit back and watch the school-yard type lawyer antics unfold...
    Well that's what I was expecting to unleash....

... its all getting a bit undignified isn't it?