Shimano zee crankset

paul_stelling
paul_stelling Posts: 96
edited January 2017 in MTB general
Can anyone tell me if the shimano zee single 36t crankset comes with narrow wide chain ring. I would like to use with 11-36 cassette and sram x7 and dont want to run chain guides. Will i need to swap chainring to prevent chain jumping off or is this only a problem if you run a clutchless rear mech . many thanks.

Comments

• Looking on Chainreaction Q&A, the M640 is stated as a standard chainring and not NW
  • Looking on Chainreaction Q&A, the M640 is stated as a standard chainring and not NW
    Thanks Wilberforce. Do you think I should run a narrow wide chainring for 1×10 set up with x7 sram . I don't want ugly chain guides. Or will the clutch help to keep chain on.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    It is not NW but easy to change to a 104 mm BCD NW with the number of teeth you need. That will help retention. Maybe my ignorance but I did not think that the X7 rear mech was type 2 - ie with a clutch. Anyway Zee Crankset at the current discounted price with a retrofitted NW should do fine on its own - but not for DH where you will need a clutch.

One of my bikes has got a clutch and I never bother switching it on - makes no difference to me.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Thanks fish fish . I should have mentioned it is type 2 dose this mean I can run the Zee chainring without fear of chain coming off.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    SRAM X7 isn't damped, that said I've never lost a chain running an NW despite not having a damper on my rear mech.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • FishFish
    Thanks fish fish . I should have mentioned it is type 2 dose this mean I can run the Zee chainring without fear of chain coming off.

Yes - but the question should be - will the chain fall off - not should I ride fearlessly! Yes with a type 2 and a NW it should take most of what you can throw at it. If you were using it for DH you would have thought about getting a Zee mech maybe.

• FishFish
    The Rookie wrote:
    SRAM X7 isn't damped, that said I've never lost a chain running an NW despite not having a damper on my rear mech.

I don't get this are any SRAM damped?

• FishFish wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

You mentioned Zee rear mech. I will probably upgrade to shimano in the future as not really a fan of sram would the Zee or xt 10sp be best also am thinking of changing cassette to 11 /40. So my lowest gear has the same ratio as the the bike had when it had 2×10 set up. Many thanks.
  • FishFish
    The Zee is perfect for downhill / enduro and is sold as such. I have one and like it and it is totally reliable. I've found the clutch switch to be annoying to the extent that it is a switch which holds back the mech and thus provides tension. So I don't use it. I think that the development of rear mech for MTB includes much stronger springs which proxy this arrangement by applying more tension and thus holds the chain on better.

The XT is a great mech - silent, competent and reliable. So really no difference....

Except that you mention 11/40 which may not work with the Zee and for which you may need a longer B screw for the XT. You can manage the ratios and the 'capacity' via the NW up front too. I have a winter NW and a summer NW and no one has stabbed me or reported me to the police for this feeble attempt to acknowledge differing conditions on the same terrain.

You also mention that in your perception Shimano is an upgrade from SRAM. I don't think that it is - but that view is sentient and not based on any science.

Good luck and don't fall off too often or get eaten very much by wild siberian tigers when you are out on your own dressed as siberian tiger food.

• Thanks fish fish. Good advice. I have gone for Zee Crankset but decided to keep my x7 rear mech to see how it performs. I am going to order a sunrace 11 40 cassette to give me better climbing gear too. I will re post once all finished and tested out . Thank you to all who have given advice it has been very helpful.
  • Steve-XcT
    Steve-XcT Posts: 267
    I have both XT M780 and M8000 rear mechs and neither needs the clutch on for heavy trail riding with a good NW and no chain retention device

I ride some freeride tracks that are fairly hairy without as well....

Without the clutch this generates enough chainslap that helitape wouldn't last long ... so I am using more substantial frame protection... but I can only conclude that a good NW chainring is doing exactly what it's meant to do.

YMMV .... but don't see why you can't try it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    FishFish wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

Yes, any type 2.

The Shimano 'clutch' isnt really a clutch at all, its a friction damper.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.