Wind and riding outdoors.

vinnymarsden
vinnymarsden Posts: 560
edited January 2017 in Road general
I am an all year round cyclist...but I can't help wondering, when I am out walking the dog, or in the car, like just now, and the winds are gusting about 45-55mph, I see a roadie..all wrapped up..proper gear/nice bike, struggling in the wind, on THE FOOTPATH because it's clearly too risky to be in the carriageway, I had to think he would have been better in his garage on a turbo and most importantly..safer!My question is...is there a point where it's just too unsafe to ride?
My obvious thought is yes...and he was past that point in my mind...any thoughts??
And before anyone quotes it..I am well aware of Rule 5!! But Rule 1, in my book is to be safe.

Comments

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Probably a lunatic looking to get to that one segment on Strava where the wind is at his back and he can smash in a KOM.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Probably a lunatic looking to get to that one segment on Strava where the wind is at his back and he can smash in a KOM.

^^^ this

But you are right, there is no point. Just get on the turbo. Ice and high winds, there really isn't any point risking it, I've seen some outdoor rides uploading to Strava today with reference to the wind, I didn't think they were awesome,
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    possible commuter ? ... and if its only one part of his journey that is in the wind, then mitigating the risk by riding on the pavement for 1.4 mile seems like a satisfactory solution to me
  • benjamess
    benjamess Posts: 159
    I went out this morning in the 47mph winds (I was managing 6.8mph on a slight decline into the wind!)

with a new baby in the house I just simply don't get chance to cycle/turbo other than commuting as my cycle into work is around 40 mins and driving it is more or less the same. I am totally confident in the wind so it didn't really bother me at all and just seen it as character building / extra training into the headwind.......and no there was no KOM attempts involved!

Ice is another matter though, I will miss riding all together if the ground is anything worse than a light frost.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I've done both - KOM on a down wind segment made it worth while pushing against the wind to get there ...
    Riding home from work - I've taken cyclepaths I usually ignore because the crosswinds made it too unpleasant to be on the road - plus I didn't have to contend with the less predictable forces having been overtaken by vehicles - plus I'm out of the vehicles ways when I'm struggling to hit 14mph into a F8 cross/headwind.

I've also gone out just because I needed to pick up something from my parents - and it wasn't that bad.
  • smoggysteve
    Slowbike wrote:
    I've done both - KOM on a down wind segment made it worth while pushing against the wind to get there ...

Goddamn motherf@#king cheat. You make me sick.

:mrgreen:
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I do all my riding on quiet country lanes, so as long as I can stay on the bike and make some kind of progress I'll still ride when it's windy. I'll look carefully at the forecast and plan a circular route that sees me gurning into the wind for 2 hours, then 20 minutes time trialling home with a massive tailwind, pretending I'm Bradley Wiggins chasing a DHL van to collect a parcel.

Ice, not so much...
  • slowbike
    Slowbike wrote:

Goddamn motherf@#king cheat. You make me sick.

:mrgreen:

Hah - others get KOMs whilst riding in a group whilst I go for solo effort ... stuffem I say! :twisted:
  • smoggysteve
    Ban all downhill Strava segments say I
  • If you are riding to go from A to B, a turbo isn't as good. Seriously strong gusting cross winds will get me onto public transport.
  • Ban all downhill Strava segments say I

Seconded.
  • On the OP, winds up to 45-50mph (not gusts) are manageable. You can ride in stronger winds but if you get caught in a crosswind and a gust of 70-80mph hits you're going to get shifted a few feet across the road. That could either be the gutter or on-coming traffic/car overtaking/pothole etc. Anything over 40 and I look to take a sensible route. Anything over 50 and I'll probably not go out. Probably.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    If he was on the pavement I doubt he was on for a strava KOM. Prob just a nobber.

I think its about 40mph out there now - I doubt I'd be playing out on the bike. Gaps in hedges can catch you out and there's debris all over the road.

If it was my only way to get to work then maybe I'd have to - but I'm not doing it for fun or fitness. There will be other days.
  • Ban all downhill Strava segments say I

Seconded.

Never !! it`s the only KOM I have.

As for hammering the wind assisted segments ! yup, that`l be me then. If I have to suffer the vomit inducing wind in the face climbs on my route, then I`ll bloody well enjoy the assisted blasts !
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • slowbike
    Fenix wrote:
    If he was on the pavement I doubt he was on for a strava KOM. Prob just a nobber.
    Ah - but he could be on his way to the start of a segment - or on his way back .... :)

Fenix wrote:
    If it was my only way to get to work then maybe I'd have to - but I'm not doing it for fun or fitness. There will be other days.
    yer - but sometimes it's refreshing to get blown about ... :)

The only time strong winds annoy me is when I get a headwind into work, a seabreeze picks up during the day and then I get a headwind on my way back too ...
  • I hate these gusts, the works alarm went off at 2 this morning because of them so I got the phone call.

Next phone call was the alrm company to make sure I get a decent nights sleep tonight.

I'd go for a ride in the wind, I am a bloke afterall not some wussy ballerina tutu wearing pussy, but I'd be cautious on fast descents and swear at headwinds.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    not everyone owns a turbo, or even has the proper space for one so its not a given its an option however roady they might look.

Ive commuted in 40-45mph gusty winds though it was more I got caught in a storm squall which hadnt been supposed to hit till much later on and I deliberately chose a more sheltered route to avoid hitting traffic as most drivers dont seem to understand how sidewind can affect you on a bike, I would have used the pavement if it had reached the point I thought it was too dangerous on the road.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Just MTFU, grow a pair and ride :lol:
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,242
    Maybe it's not windy enough in the Fens, the Peaks, or London, or maybe it's just not gusty enough, but I can't think of a time in the last 15 years where it's been too windy to cycle.

Are you leaning into the wind?
  • Maybe he was out doing FTP efforts in the headwind?
  • mac9091
    mac9091 Posts: 196
    I'm fortunate enough that my "commute" is only a mile and a half. Generally if the wind is more than 25mph then i'll walk. If its pissing down with rain i'll drive (So! i'm helping the economy and the oil giants)

If i'm out cycling training/enjoying the day i won't bother if its over 20mph solely for safety.

From memory the fastest tailwind for strava purposes was 24mph, but i was still 1 minute off the KOM, who i'd say must have been drafting a lorry or bus. Its only a mile stretch.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    I am an all year round cyclist...but I can't help wondering, when I am out walking the dog, or in the car, like just now, and the winds are gusting about 45-55mph, I see a roadie..all wrapped up..proper gear/nice bike, struggling in the wind, on THE FOOTPATH because it's clearly too risky to be in the carriageway, I had to think he would have been better in his garage on a turbo and most importantly..safer!My question is...is there a point where it's just too unsafe to ride?
    My obvious thought is yes...and he was past that point in my mind...any thoughts??
    And before anyone quotes it..I am well aware of Rule 5!! But Rule 1, in my book is to be safe.
    Went out this eve for the hell of it, last 3 rides on zwift, sometimes you just need to do a real ride, must admit never had a major problem with side winds, headwinds just grind, tailwind a joy, a beer in the pub afterwards... a bonus :wink:
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Has nobody bothered to post this yet? :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8qgjyqibwY
  • benjamess
    benjamess Posts: 159
    diplodicus wrote:
    Has nobody bothered to post this yet? :D

0:52 :lol::lol:
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    benjamess wrote:
    diplodicus wrote:
    Has nobody bothered to post this yet? :D

0:52 :lol::lol:

I once got caught in wind like that, on top of Cuthbert's Hill in the North Pennines. After being repeatedly blown off the road I was forced to walk, only to find the bike trying to take off like a kite and pull me over. At one point that day I was pedalling hard to achieve 12mph downhill...
  • Are the gusts really 45-55 mph?

I find that when the Metoffice says it's 45 mph gusts it is very much rideable, but I suspect the actual wind speed at 1 meter from the ground is way less than that. I tend to draw a line if there is a weather warning and a sustained period of > 50 mph wind in the forecast.

You also need a sensible bike... avoid aero crap and panniers
    left the forum March 2023
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Slowbike wrote:
    Riding home from work - I've taken cyclepaths I usually ignore because the crosswinds made it too unpleasant to be on the road - plus I didn't have to contend with the less predictable forces having been overtaken by vehicles - plus I'm out of the vehicles ways when I'm struggling to hit 14mph into a F8 cross/headwind.

Pfft - I wouldn't let a measly 40mph wind slow me to less than 16mph.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    We're due 40mph winds tomorrow and I'm planning on going out.
    Hopefully they are more headwinds/tailwinds then sideways. Larger section wheels make that interesting.

Unfortunately in Portsmouth it's always windy.
  • Not worth it in my opinion (if it's 40mph+). Unless you're on a commute
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    Maybe it's not windy enough in the Fens, the Peaks, or London, or maybe it's just not gusty enough, but I can't think of a time in the last 15 years where it's been too windy to cycle.

Are you leaning into the wind?
    If you think you've handled a bike okay to be passed by heavy traffic in 50mph gusts, you've been looking at the weather forecast for somewhere else. For example, somewhere without buildings to offer shelter. I suspect that the nearest such place to you, Rick, would be Wales. Have you ever been?