Exercise bike

Tashman
Tashman Posts: 3,400
edited June 2018 in Road general
Looking at the weekends potential weather, I think I might prefer to be inside rather than out in the horribleness. I don't hoever have a turbo trainer but have access to an exercise bike. I know it won't be the same quality, but must be better than doing nothing.

Comments

• benjamess
    benjamess Posts: 159
    is there a question involved with the post or just letting us know? :roll: :lol:
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Better than nothing. Or maybe mix it up a bit and do some non cycling exercises like core strength or squats.
  • Tashman
    benjamess wrote:
    is there a question involved with the post or just letting us know? :roll: :lol:
    Just making a statement and inviting opinion :):lol:
  • benjamess
    benjamess Posts: 159
    Tashman wrote:
    benjamess wrote:
    Just making a statement and inviting opinion :):lol:

I used to quite enjoy the spin bikes at the gym, people will probably correct me but I used to be able to set one up to feel kind of like a road bike!

I'd imagine any fitness training in the short term will help!
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    benjamess wrote:
    I used to be able to set one up to feel kind of like a road bike! !

that's probably easier done if you normally hang trousers a dressing gown and pants on your road bike and cover it in dust
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Every exercise bike I've ever tried felt awful. I think I'd rather ride in the snow.
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    I have one of those Monark ergometer things in the garage. Picked up cheap on ebay a couple of years ago with the intention of using during periods of foul weather. Put a road saddle & clipless pedals and set it up to match the dimensions of my road bikes. Yep you guessed, probably had half a dozen uses at most, boring as hell, rather use rollers.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,382
    Slightly off topic but a mate of mine was diagnosed with MS about 5 years ago.

It is awful to see this disease ravage his body and senses in the way it has but he decided a while ago that he would keep doing something to keep active. His poor eyesight and balance rule out a normal bicycle and so he bought an exercise bike - its one of those electric fancy ones with varying degrees of resistance etc that can kick in randomly.

Anyway, he resolved that he was going to cycle "around the world" and has done over 23,500 miles so far and has just over 1300 miles left. He has averaged around 84 miles a week and has managed to improve his weekly average every week since he started (if that makes sense) Perhaps this doesn't sound like much but, if you could see him, you would realize what an achievement it is.

So yes, get on your exercise bike - and enjoy the privilege
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Tashman
    laurentian wrote:
    Slightly off topic but a mate of mine was diagnosed with MS about 5 years ago.

It is awful to see this disease ravage his body and senses in the way it has but he decided a while ago that he would keep doing something to keep active. His poor eyesight and balance rule out a normal bicycle and so he bought an exercise bike - its one of those electric fancy ones with varying degrees of resistance etc that can kick in randomly.

Anyway, he resolved that he was going to cycle "around the world" and has done over 23,500 miles so far and has just over 1300 miles left. He has averaged around 84 miles a week and has managed to improve his weekly average every week since he started (if that makes sense) Perhaps this doesn't sound like much but, if you could see him, you would realize what an achievement it is.

So yes, get on your exercise bike - and enjoy the privilege
    Thanks for that, and in Strava speak "Kudos" to your friend
  • I have an exercise bike in the garage, when the weather is bad I do a bit on it, stick the ipod in the dock and listen to music I haven't listened to in years, helps with the sheer boredom of stationary cycling. I don't by any means go hell for leather on it and you wouldn't call it a power session, I just turn the pedals to keep the legs moving, it probably does no good at all but in my head I can say I have done something.

If you pick the hour between 7 & 8 in the evening it also means you are out of the house whilst the Mrs. is indulging in Emmerdale and Corrie.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    It depends....

some exercise bikes are very cheap, unadjustable and have zero control on the quality of the resistance:

61MxN3iHypL._SL1482_.jpg

whilst others have lots of adjustment and the quality of control is can be as good as the trainers.

If it is a very cheap one then don't be surprised if you last one session and then scrap it.
  • Tashman
    Navrig2 wrote:
    It depends....

some exercise bikes are very cheap, unadjustable and have zero control on the quality of the resistance:

61MxN3iHypL._SL1482_.jpg

whilst others have lots of adjustment and the quality of control is can be as good as the trainers.

If it is a very cheap one then don't be surprised if you last one session and then scrap it.
    I get this, hopefully should the weather stay warm enough that ice isn't an issue then it won't be required at all, it is a level or 2 up from that in the pic though so should provide some kind of decent resistance and programme
  • I bought a decent kettler exercise bike three months later I sold it boughta £100 turbo and stuck my one and only road bike on it and it is incomparably better. Pain switching it on and off but so much better. Ex bikes are only worth it if its a proper road bike version but those are dear.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Recently bought a barely used ProForm Tour de France bike off Gumtree for £300 (£1200 new) - the gym my wife uses has closed and this was cheaper than a year's membership. Has a powered gradient mode to 20% and has pre-loaded profiles for many mountain climbs - not quite Wattbike standards but people pay silly money for a used Wattbike (£1500+)
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..