Froome the hypocrite

r0bh
r0bh Posts: 2,163
edited January 2017 in Pro race
November 2015:
"After everything we had been through in this year's Tour, especially the hostility from different people along the way, it just felt that if we go down this route, we are opening the door for a whole new wave of criticism and aggression. It would have been within the rules, but I didn't want it to be the Tour de France that was won because he took this medication in the last week," Froome told the Sunday Times.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/froome- ... e-illness/

January 2017
"I didn't feel having a TUE in the last week of the Tour was something I was prepared to do. It did not sit well morally with me."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/38534318

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,236
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

If it's not EPO or race changing, you ought not to care.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    What's hypocritical? He's said basically the same thing twice.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • r0bh
    RichN95 wrote:

Disagree. First time he says he refused the TUE because of how it would look to fans, media etc. Second time it is because he thinks it is morally wrong i.e. purely because of his own moral stance not any external factors. Two different reasons IMHO, and let's face it the recent interview is just so he can stick the knife in Wiggins again.
  • RichN95.
    edited January 2017
    r0bh wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Disagree. First time he says he refused the TUE because of how it would look to fans, media etc. Second time it is because he thinks it is morally wrong i.e. purely because of his own moral stance not any external factors. Two different reasons IMHO, and let's face it the recent interview is just so he can stick the knife in Wiggins again.
    The two aren't mutually exclusive.

I'm not sure you know what hypocrisy means. It's preaching one thing and doing another. It's not telling the same story twice with slightly different perspectives.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    I can't be arsed with people who post on cycling forums because they don't like cycling or cyclist or think it makes them look smart. It doesn't, it's just boring. Anyway we have some racing now so you can just stop.
  • r0bh
    inseine wrote:
    I can't be arsed with people who post on cycling forums because they don't like cycling or cyclist or think it makes them look smart. It doesn't, it's just boring. Anyway we have some racing now so you can just stop.

Well that's me told. Sorry sir, I'll check with you before I post anything else OK?
  • RichN95 wrote:

This.
    He is saying the same thing..............twice.
    Nowt to do with motivation.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • This has all been since the leak and outcry over his 2014 ToR TUE (for a substance he pushed for with the doc at that race, in full knowledge it needed a TUE, according to his hagiographer, Walsh)

He is a hypocrite. Almost all cyclists are. As are most of us. Hypocrisy is in all of us to a greater or lesser extent.

I just think setting himself up as holier than thou ain't attractive, and I think it will come back to bite him. Yeah, I get that a lot of it is about him putting the knife in, but...
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    RichN95 wrote:

This.
    He is saying the same thing..............twice.
    Nowt to do with motivation.

Yeah, Froome's been more consistent in what he's said than anyone else at Sky...
  • RichN95.
    edited January 2017
    I just think setting himself up as holier than thou ain't attractive,
    You'll be surprised to learn that I agree with you on this bit. However, he can only answer questions asked, and in situations like this the media only ask leading questions.

I think he's just experienced growing frustrations with Brailsford's PR (which anyone can see is awful)
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    I think this thread title is what they call clickbait.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I don't think this is anything more than 'leave me out of this'.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    So Froome had the opportunity to medicate and get a tue, but he and the team decided against it as was only going to fuel hostility and could be seen as a bad thing

Yeah I agree what an arse he is .... I heard the little skinny Bastid also stroked a baby kitten, kissed a baby and saves small animals .. gnnnnnn proper Lance Armstrong stuff all over again
  • RichN95 wrote:
    I just think setting himself up as holier than thou ain't attractive,
    You'll be surprised to learn that I agree with you on this bit. However, he can only answer questions asked, and in situations like this the media only ask leading questions.

I think he's just experienced growing frustrations with Brailsford's PR (which anyone can see is awful)

Well he and his 'people' have specifically arranged for certain interviews, so I don't really buy the 'he can only answer questions asked'. He knows what he's doing with arranged interviews. Tbh I won't be at all surprised if he progresses to intimating that he should be the 'rightful' winner of the 2012 Tour (god knows he has previous for that)
  • inseine
    r0bh wrote:
    inseine wrote:

Well that's me told. Sorry sir, I'll check with you before I post anything else OK?
    That works
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,236
    Do any of you remember Ricco, flying up the Aspin ?

https://youtu.be/34AY5epnluw

Go to 2:30 in.

That's when it matters. When it ruins your race as a viewer.

It was a joke.

I can't see Froome's or Wiggin's tue doing that.
  • RichN95.
    Do any of you remember Ricco, flying up the Aspin ?

About 30s into that you can see Froome in a group of five attacking (along with Kohl, Casar, Nibali & an Euskaltel)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I'd forgotten how ridiculous Ricco was....
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RichN95 wrote:
    About 30s into that you can see Froome in a group of five attacking (along with Kohl, Casar, Nibali & an Euskaltel)

It's funny how when you actually bother to look, you find evidence of his obvious talent before 2011.

Kind of like Wiggins "not being able to climb" - But his stage win in l'avenir early in his career indicated he could.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    iainf72 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

It's funny how when you actually bother to look, you find evidence of his obvious talent before 2011.

Kind of like Wiggins "not being able to climb" - But his stage win in l'avenir early in his career indicated he could.
    He attacks about 100m before that video starts - and if you think he looks bad on a bike now....
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    TBF being holier than thou has turned out to be a good career move for David Millar... Froome probably fancies a Maserati when be retires.
  • r0bh

That's not my point at all, I think all this TUE stuff is a storm in a tea cup (the most interesting TUE story last year was Yates and the missing TUE but I digress), and the atmosphere now whereby an athlete might be scared to apply for a legitimate TUE is not good.

I do, though, find Froome's movable position on TUEs where now he is trying to present himself as some sort of anti TUE crusader is disingenuous, and can only think he is doing it to continue his efforts to undermine Wiggins that he started in his book.
  • Do any of you remember Ricco, flying up the Aspin ?

That's when it matters. When it ruins your race as a viewer.

It was a joke.

Ricco was all kinds of cray
  • inseine
    r0bh wrote:

That's not my point at all, I think all this TUE stuff is a storm in a tea cup (the most interesting TUE story last year was Yates and the missing TUE but I digress), and the atmosphere now whereby an athlete might be scared to apply for a legitimate TUE is not good.

I do, though, find Froome's movable position on TUEs where now he is trying to present himself as some sort of anti TUE crusader is disingenuous, and can only think he is doing it to continue his efforts to undermine Wiggins that he started in his book.

He's in a difficult position. There must be part of him that thinks he could have two more GTs on his palmarès if not for Wiggins and now he finds that Wiggins was competing in a somewhat grey area. He's not going to spit in the soup but maybe he really thinks Wiggins overstepped the mark.
  • Poor the Fenton
  • Poor the Fenton

Kennaugh would quite like to have allowed to keep the leader's jersey and win the Sun Tour last year. And Porte could have had a Dauphine on his palmares by now.

But. Well.

As for Froome re Wiggins, he has been undermining him since mid-2012 Tour, including extraordinary attacks in his Walsh hagiography (so many references to Wiggins in the book they amounted to 1 per page, for chrissake), elbowed him out as leader of the team that had been set up around Wiggins, and helped to ensure he never rode the Tour again. And he continues to try to trash him.

So I rather think he's had his pound of flesh.
  • RichN95.
    As for Froome re Wiggins, he has been undermining him since mid-2012 Tour, including extraordinary attacks in his Walsh hagiography (so many references to Wiggins in the book they amounted to 1 per page, for chrissake), elbowed him out as leader of the team that had been set up around Wiggins, and helped to ensure he never rode the Tour again. And he continues to try to trash him.
    But he's the better stage racer, and five years younger. Of course he's going to want to replace him. This literally happens all the time in team sports. Not always with as much antagonism though.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    dish_dash wrote:
    TBF being holier than thou has turned out to be a good career move for David Millar... Froome probably fancies a Maserati when be retires.

LOLOL THIS
    :D:D:D
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    Surely the hypocrisy of Froome is going in front of the media the other day letting everyone know how he turned a TUE down, which he may as well have signed off with 'unlike Wiggins', yet he used a TUE himself in 2014. If he is opposed to using one on moral grounds surely he should have turned it down on that occasion too? Now, I don't doubt that the TUE was perfectly legitimate and necessary but who is he to imply that other riders using them aren't just as legitimate? Also, who knows if he would have turned down that TUE had he not already had a fairly unassailable lead?
  • Pross wrote:
    Surely the hypocrisy of Froome is going in front of the media the other day letting everyone know how he turned a TUE down, which he may as well have signed off with 'unlike Wiggins', yet he used a TUE himself in 2014. If he is opposed to using one on moral grounds surely he should have turned it down on that occasion too? Now, I don't doubt that the TUE was perfectly legitimate and necessary but who is he to imply that other riders using them aren't just as legitimate? Also, who knows if he would have turned down that TUE had he not already had a fairly unassailable lead?

But this was not new, he has already spoken about it in 2015.