meds6974 Posts: 28
edited January 2017 in Road beginners
Campy chorus 11 or ultegra di2 ? they are a similar price

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    meds6974 wrote:
    Price may be similar but the ergonomics and functionality will be significantly different. Try both and make your own choice, you will be the one riding it.
  • drwae
    drwae Posts: 223
    Imposter wrote:
    meds6974 wrote:
    Price may be similar but the ergonomics and functionality will be significantly different. Try both and make your own choice, you will be the one riding it.
    Exactly, it's down to what you prefer although if there is a real reason for going for one over the other (e.g. price which isn't applicable here) I find that you do get used to what you get even if you don't like it at first.
    It may be worth noting that if you have a problem in the middle of nowhere a lot of bike shops will be more likely to carry Shimano-compatble parts rather than campy parts, IME.
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    You want the Campy electric or mechanic?

If campy mechanic then I choose Di2 any day including while I am sleeping.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Depends what bike they are going on
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • hambini
    hambini Posts: 113
    Another one for Di2. The campy stuff feels like it's been made by artist whilst the Shimano Di2 feels like it's been made by an engineer in a laboratory.
  • People actually recommending Ultegra Di2 over Chorus? Mental.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • I've just put chorus mechanical on a bike I'm building for looks/sunny days, campag stuff looks fantastic and it works well. But in my opinion it's not as good to use as top end shimano stuff and that's after a month and a bit of racing/training on a borrowed bike with full super record. Maybe after even more time on this bike I'm currently building I'll grow to like it more. But if it was a bike for racing on for me it would be ultegra 6800 or dura ace 9000 over campag chorus/record/SR, unless I wasn't paying for it...
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    I switched from shimano to Campag a few years ago after a couple of bad episodes with an Ultegra Octalink crank and a 105 Hollowtech which I won't go into here. Initially I thought I'd made a big mistake due to the clunky feel of the shifts which felt agricultural after the silky smooth Shimano transmissions I was used to. However that mechanical feel became the very thing I love about Campgnolo (as well as the heritage, the beautiful aesthetics, and the fact that it's still a family business in Italy - plus a factory in Romania before the pedants chime in). Electronic shifting doesn't interest me but for those of you who are attracted then there is a chorus version available that I believe is more expensive than Ultegra. The big selling point for Shimano is the relative cheapness and wide availability of spares. Campagnolo also require you to buy some (usually) expensive tools if you want to do your own servicing although aftermarket versions are on offer.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    People actually recommending Ultegra Di2 over Chorus? Mental.

I'd argue the other way was former.

Beyond the cliche faux love for all things Campy and italian that seems to exist in cycling I can't see how you'd pick ANY mech group over di2.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • shortfall
    okgo wrote:

Beyond the cliche faux love for all things Campy and italian that seems to exist in cycling I can't see how you'd pick ANY mech group over di2.

Why do you describe it as faux love?
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    Shortfall wrote:
    okgo wrote:

I would assume blind love. Love for no reason but the idea that it is Italian so it must be better and what it was back in the glorious days when there were not much competition.

Of course the trades are very clever, they get all the Chinese worked to work in their factory in Italian and claim Italian made and people will buy it just because it is made in Italy.

Campy mech is not even close to par compared with Shimano let alone the Di2.
  • shortfall
    hsiaolc wrote:
    Shortfall wrote:
    okgo wrote:

I would assume blind love. Love for no reason but the idea that it is Italian so it must be better and what it was back in the glorious days when there were not much competition.

Of course the trades are very clever, they get all the Chinese worked to work in their factory in Italian and claim Italian made and people will buy it just because it is made in Italy.

Campy mech is not even close to par compared with Shimano let alone the Di2.

You assume wrongly. And if you're saying that Chinese workers are are being routinely used in their Italian and Romanian factories then you're going to have to provide evidence.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Shortfall wrote:
    okgo wrote:

He's just being a bit stupid because Sloppy was being a bit stupid. Don't worry about it. People are allowed to have their own preferences and those are allowed to be different to the preferences of others.

Personally, I prefer mechanical because I can index and I hate gadgets but I can understand why folk might like electronic (particularly for a winter/commuter bike).
    Faster than a tent.......
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Either would be nice. What about SRAM? :D

HTH :lol::lol::lol::lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.