Replace my helmet? Weird foam "damage"

crauff
crauff Posts: 9
edited January 2017 in Road general
Hi All,

Just wondering if this constitutes a helmet that needs to be replaced:

I just recently noticed two "holes" in the foam (I guess) in the back of my specialized propero helmet. They aren't really cracks, as they don't separate two parts of the foam, but it's almost as if someone took a small object like a pen and jammed it into the foam. They're about the size of a fingernail and it's hard to say how deep they go.

I haven't crashed the helmet, and honestly have no idea how this happened. Maybe a drop? Just wearing down? I've worn it for 2 full seasons. I've always read to be cautious with any damage to the foam, so I'm completely willing to replace it, but just wondering if that's overkill and I'm being overly neurotic here. Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Piccies?
  • crauff
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Piccies?

This is very close up, like I said it's miniscule but Id rather not mess around. Hard to capture with the shadows.

http://imgur.com/a/UAxfs
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Probably manufacturing defects. I, personally, wouldn't worry about it and it is too late for you to even think about a return. Your shout really, if it really bothers you then buy another one...if not then carry on regardless.
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Rightly or wrongly I always thought that any 'damage' to a helmet obvious or not*, should lead to the said helmet being replaced. But as others have said its your descision / head.

* Fall from bike and helmet hits ground but doesn't cause seeable damage.
  • May be worth firing off an email to Specialized or popping into one of there stores if you're close to one: https://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/retailer-locator?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,431
    you say two holes, are they symmetrical? can't tell from the picture where the holes actually are

for instance if there's one each side and caused by penetration from the front, they might be caused be the ends of glasses when stowed on the helmet
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    A few holes or indentations on the foam is ok. Its when you get big cracks or compressed parts you need to change it. I would say it's ok but it's your head on the line, if you don't have confidence in it buy a new one
  • crauff
    sungod wrote:
    you say two holes, are they symmetrical? can't tell from the picture where the holes actually are

for instance if there's one each side and caused by penetration from the front, they might be caused be the ends of glasses when stowed on the helmet

I actually thought about this, they are more or less symmetrical. They're on the rear vent portion of the helmet on either side. However, I don't ever put my glasses back there because they fit so well in the front.

Thanks for all the input!
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    crauff wrote:
    Hi All,

I just recently noticed two "holes" in the foam (I guess) in the back of my specialized propero helmet. They aren't really cracks, as they don't separate two parts of the foam, but it's almost as if someone took a small object like a pen and jammed it into the foam. They're about the size of a fingernail and it's hard to say how deep they go.

I haven't crashed the helmet, and honestly have no idea how this happened. Maybe a drop? Just wearing down? I've worn it for 2 full seasons. I've always read to be cautious with any damage to the foam, so I'm completely willing to replace it, but just wondering if that's overkill and I'm being overly neurotic here. Thanks for any help!

You have kids?
  • crauff
    hsiaolc wrote:
    crauff wrote:
    Hi All,

You have kids?

Not yet :D
  • sungod
    if they're symmetric i'd think they're from manufacture - they could be points at which a bit of plastic has been pushed in to connect/anchor another part

but there's no harm emailing spesh for their opinion (i'd include with a pic that shows overall position, plus a close up)
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Yes you are being overly neurotic....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • crauff
    As a follow up, does specialized still have a crash replacement program? And if so, can you just return a helmet like this? Was always curious what constituted a "crash" in their eyes...if I was going to get a new spesh helmet anyway wouldn't it make sense to go that route?
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    If they do, just drop the helmet onto it's front from a height and return it. If they don't, buy a Kask next time.
  • debeli
    debeli Posts: 583
    This thread has started to worry me.

I have a helmet hanging in the porch. I sometimes wear it when I go out on my bicycle.

It calls itself (according to the label) a MET Maxtrack and I bought it (new, I might add) in around 1997.

I have never crashed while wearing it (although I've crashed several times while not wearing it).

My concern is that it looks slightly 'Olde-Worlde Aero-Eggie' and not very cool.

Should I replace it or should I accept that at my age no cycling helmet is going to make me look cool.

On a positive note, the slots are just right for sun glasses.
  • Should you replace a 20 year old helmet? Yes, yes you should.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Debeli wrote:
    Should I replace it or should I accept that at my age no cycling helmet is going to make me look cool.

On a positive note, the slots are just right for sun glasses.

Yes, you should replace it. Many of the current crop of helmets look a lot cooler. Choose wisely and you'll no longer resemble a button mushroom.

I've never dared stick my glasses in the helmet vents; they are prescription lenses and I'd be buggered if they fell out and I ran them over.
  • crauff
    So I have a bit of a follow up that probably doesn't deserve its own thread...

If everything I read about helmet fit is correct, I'm having a hell of a time finding a new helmet that fits me. Can the rest of you guys rock your helmets up and down a good bit if you grab it above the ears on each side? I tried buying a giro synthe from the shop here last year, and just could not get a secure fit.

So after this thread, I ordered a Specialized Airnet on clearance, figuring sticking with the same brand would serve me better. Same thing. I suppose I could just order another of the exact same helmet, but I can't imagine there's nothing else out there that fits my head. Everything I've seen on the internet would indicate that the helmet should barely move and your skin should move with it when you grab it.
  • sungod
    head/helmet shapes vary, it's one of the things that can be better bought in a shop where you can try a few for size/fit
  • sungod wrote:
    head/helmet shapes vary, it's one of the things that can be better bought in a shop where you can try a few for size/fit

This. Even the same brand can vary across the lines.
  • mac9091
    mac9091 Posts: 196
    Clearly sounds like your wife/partner is trying to kill you off. Do you have a big insurance policy?