3 + 4 cat races, so serious

2»

Comments

• ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Unfortunately it's difficult to communicate in a bunch that's rolling along at 25mph without raising your voice - if I need to have a word with anyone I always try to do it in a fairly normal measured fashion although it's not always how it comes across. It's very rarely anything personal, as has been said upthread - it's just words!
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I had to tell someone today that hold your line (i was bty) does not tell me where you are. I am deaf in one ear and my ability to tell where a sound is coming from is poor so on your left or right is far better. Quite how i know were riders are i dont know but i do.

What would help is if people where not so desperate to get points that they are willing to barge past me on the front knocking me and nearly bringing me down along with everyone behind me. Points are not worth misbehaving we all have families to go back to and work on monday.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Love a good barney in a race. I've had a few. Racing is full of ego's so you're bound to get a bit of shouting. I've probably had maybe 10 proper spats in my 6 years racing and never once has it amounted to anything more...at the end of the race it's forgotten. I always found 3/4 races full of loud mouths...especially the big guys who like to ride on the front all race then disappear in the last 10 min :)

I like it when the person you're arguing with gets angry and attacks in a rage and blows up 10 minutes later :lol:

I'm getting too old for it now though and just ask them to calm down...they generally feel a bit silly if you respond in a rational manner.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    DavidJB wrote:
    ...especially the big guys who like to ride on the front all race then disappear in the last 10 min :)

They're the ones usually shouting 'up up' when someone attacks, while never doing any chasing themselves.. ;)
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    DavidJB wrote:
    I'm getting too old for it now though and just ask them to calm down...they generally feel a bit silly if you respond in a rational manner.

This, keep a level head, acknowledge the issue and move on.
    My favourite are the circular escalations..

chopper
    you're a chopper
    no you're a bigger chopper
    no you're an even bigger chopper
    biggest chopper since choppy McChopFace
    chopper chopper chopper chopper

repeat ad nauseam
  • DavidJB
    Two guys started having a fist fight at the 2/3 at odd down the other week...a 2/3 crit in Dec...basically the world champs.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    DavidJB wrote:
    Two guys started having a fist fight at the 2/3 at odd down the other week...a 2/3 crit in Dec...basically the world champs.

Please tell me they got off their bikes first..?
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Imposter wrote:
    DavidJB wrote:

there have been flashpoints at a number of crits in the last couple of years. its not really news, is it. people trying to be alpha females/males etc. frankly there are a lot of people riding in crits that are fine. the minority are the ones you need to avoid...
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    If I feel I am surrounded by choppers then I let them know as much, I've got kids to feed and a mortgage to pay after all. One chap I raced against a few times this season apologised to me for riding into me (both stayed up), and confessed he was blind in one eye so didn't see me - I mean WTF!!! After than I made sure I stayed on his good side :-D

Yeah, I'll have a shout if people are riding dangerously. But when it comes to the racing part I find that complimenting people for taking a big turn or chasing down the break etc works a lot better ;-)
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    I lived in Finland until a couple of years ago and did a bit of racing there. Got shouted at quite a lot but could never understand what they were saying so it ceased to bother me after a while.. :lol:
  • DavidJB
    Imposter wrote:
    DavidJB wrote:

Yes was after the race...too many testosterone patches obviously.