Best trainer for heavy rider

csbel
csbel Posts: 3
Hello,

I would love to buy an indoor trainer (does not really matter what type as long as I can put my bike on it). But I am very tall and heavy (used to fitness a lot, but due to a shoulder injury I am no longer able to do so, and I found pleasure in cycling).

The problem is due to my build I am not really great at controlling my bike on the road which makes me feel a little unsafe (I don't really have talent to steer either).

So I did some googling and found the indoor smart trainers, apps like bkool and zwift look very pleasant and really something I would enjoy.

But upon today I haven't found a single indoor trainer who can support my weight (145 kilo's) I also have a rather heavy bike (since it needs to support my weight.)

Does anyone have a solution for me please ? Or can anyone tell what the strongest indoor trainers are on the market and if they will be able to hold me?

Grts

Csbel

Comments

• According to the Wahoo site the weight limits on their turbo trainers is mainly to protect the bike frame rather than because the turbo itself is in danger. Have a look at some local shops that stock turbos and see which one has the sturdiest looking build and base footprint. I'd be much more worried about stresses to the bike frame, but it sounds as if you have a pretty sturdy non-carbon bike to use.

From the Wahoo website: "The reason we placed the weight limit at 250 lbs was based on our concern for the bicycle frame. The KICKR (and all other trainers) introduce a few unique forces on a frame that aren't normally experienced when riding on the road. To be safe, we set the weight limit low even though, as you might have noticed, the KICKR is probably the most stout trainer on the market!"
  • Got the money for a spinning cycle? Mega bucks watt bike and you're sorted. Cheaper available. Think i saw one in the £250-£300 mark once.
  • The problem with spin bikes is they can rarely link up to the likes of Zwift successfully. For the OP is seems that as long as your bike is sturdy enough then it'll be fine. In fact extra weight can help with the connection to the rollers if you're using a wheel on trainer.
  • csbel
    csbel Posts: 3
    Thanks for the quick replies.

A spinning bike can be an option, I looked info it but I have read most of them have a hard time connecting to Swift/bkool and their prices are pretty high (€2000-€3000) is a little too expensive for now. I'd rather be around €1000.

The option of a KICKR sounds very interesting, but I don't know if my frame Will be able to hold (a sensa romagna size 64). I have Just started out so I'm not really familiar with everything.

I have received a mail back from Cycleops:

Our trainers are only approved for riders up to 300 lbs. AT 320, you would be able to use our trainers but I wouldn’t recommend getting out of the saddle or aggressively attacking sprints.

Do you think this is doable?

Thanks again for the help.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I'd think you'd be looking to drop lbs pretty quickly once you're on the bike - providing that's your aim - so probably worth the risk?
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Smashed my Kickr Snap to pieces and been over 105kg... Very sturdy bit of kit.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Ryan_W wrote:

Hang on - very sturdy, but you smashed it to pieces?
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Imposter wrote:
    Ryan_W wrote:

Hang on - very sturdy, but you smashed it to pieces?

As in given it horrendous abuse and it's still 100% perfect.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    Personally, I'd say get a Wattbike. There are often 2nd hand ones about for around the £1,000 mark. A "smart" trainer plus a bike is more, and heavy turbo use will create wear, and even damage, to the bike attached to it. If you are a " data" person a Wattbike will give you good, reliable, accurate data, and the current monitors work with the usual training software platforms.
    The final thing in the Wattbike's favour is that it will maintain its value should you ever wish to sell. Otherwise, Wattbike are very good at supplying update software and handwear.
    PS I don't have any links with the company, I just use a Wattbike and am an instructor at a couple of Wattbike studios - where they stand up to a serious level of use.
  • csbel wrote:
    AT 320, you would be able to use our trainers but I wouldn’t recommend getting out of the saddle or aggressively attacking sprints.

Do you think this is doable?

yup, reckon it is. As slowbike says, you'll probably start to drop weight quickly.

and i would say go with what makes you want to get on and ride. Personally I'd prefer the real bike/zwift experience