Bike for my wife

timboellis
timboellis Posts: 223
edited January 2017 in Road beginners
Any suggestion on this, my wife last time she was on a bike was over a year ago for less than 5 miles on a MTB, however we are heading to Isle of Mull next year myself and a few friends to do the 45km sportive and a weeks holiday too.

However my wife i thinking about joining us on the sportive originally was just for going about mull after the sportive, however quite please that she is giving it a go.

Anyway the question is this I have my winter bike / turbo trainer bike a Planet X RT-58 so could ger her to use this if i put bigger tyres on it.

The other option is a Planet X Kaffenback which is a commuter so bigger tyres / and a bit comfier , i can get this for £200ish.So would it be okay for a sportive and general use.

So what do i go for?, whats the better option, they both fit her.

Also i got her on the turbo trainer and emulated a local 3mile run to show her what she needs to do in order to get into fitness for it, done 3m in 20 mins, buts thats the first go, so is it fee-sable what she is thinking?

Comments

• godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    I have a Kaffenback as a winter commuter. Decent bike but heavy (c11kg) so wouldn't recommend for hilly sportives.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Don't overthink this and you don't need to spend big. A 45k ride could be done on any bike so why not just take your wife to a nice bike shop and buy one she is happy with? I would suggest things like the Boardman hybrid or perhaps a Spesh Vita...loads of options. If you buy a hybrid then it would be fine for family trails and the like which means it might get used more often.
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Don't overthink this and you don't need to spend big. A 45k ride could be done on any bike so why not just take your wife to a nice bike shop and buy one she is happy with? I would suggest things like the Boardman hybrid or perhaps a Spesh Vita...loads of options. If you buy a hybrid then it would be fine for family trails and the like which means it might get used more often.

For 45K ride you need the best you can get!!!
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    hsiaolc wrote:
    Bobbinogs wrote:

The OP said 45Km (27 miles), doubt that needs a massive outlay. I agree with Bobbinogs, get her down to the bike shop and let her choose.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,716
    bbrap wrote:
    hsiaolc wrote:
    Bobbinogs wrote:

The OP said 45Km (27 miles), doubt that needs a massive outlay. I agree with Bobbinogs, get her down to the bike shop and let her choose.
    Disagree. In my experience the bike will sit in a shed unused for years after the event. Get a bike you can use, or one easily sold on later if need be.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As long as the RT58 fits her (or can easily be made to) it's the obvious choice, that said I do agree that 45k can be done on anything, even a £100 BSO, I've done 160ks on MTBs and 200Ks on hybrids when appropriate.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Sounds like a fair swap - if your wife is up to much.... :lol::lol:
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Svetty wrote:

Depends on her geometry
  • Svetty wrote:
    I'm impressed that it took almost 6 days of restraint for someone to post that... :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • Whatever you get, Mull is brilliant for cycling. Loved riding there - especially early morning in summer before any drivers hit the roads. I was absolutely bitten to pieces by midges riding there though.