So for Xmas I got some Derby velodrome Gift Vouchers

CanalRider
CanalRider Posts: 194
edited May 2017 in Track
I normally ride on the road. Twenty miles outbound to work and twenty miles back, three to four times a week.

During the Olympics i casually said, while watching the cycling, "I'd like to try that", then my daughters graduation took place at Derby Velodrome, and my wife took inspiration for my Xmas present: 1x Introduction session plus 4 one hour sessions.

I am under no illusions track racing isn't the road. so what should i do to prepare, what should my preparation be?

I don't want to waste the opportunity. I currently have a torn rotor cuff courtesy of a motorist so I will not be rushing to the track.

Regards
--
Saw a sign on a restaurant that said Breakfast, any time -- so I ordered French Toast in the Renaissance.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    You probably don't need to 'prepare' anything, as such - these are introductory sessions. Just present yourself at the track at the appointed time, with whatever kit they suggest you bring. The coaching staff will take care of the rest. Meanwhile, if you get the chance to try out a fixed wheel bike between now and the first session, then it's worth it - even if it's just round a car park or something.
  • I got the same last year bu minus the four sessions. Its pretty easy to wobble around, harder if you want to gt fast.

PEDALPEDALPEDALPEDALPEDALPEADAL...

I stopped pedaling for a split second and the back end jumped up what felt like a foot until my legs started moving again.

As above, just rent the right shoes, take water, turn up and listen.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Thanks for the replies, you scare me a little :) I have never rode a fixie only a SS with flip flop but that needs TLC to get it back on road.

Time is [un]fortunately on my side.

Why are peaked helmets not allowed?
    --
    Saw a sign on a restaurant that said Breakfast, any time -- so I ordered French Toast in the Renaissance.
  • velokev
    velokev Posts: 20
    I know it's an old thread but the question about helmets "peaked" my interest (groan...)

I'm thinking that they are either worried about detachable peaks falling off or they are worried about poor visibility? You're in a quite agressive position on a track bike and a peak on a helmet could get in the way?

Or they could just be worried that you will look silly?
  • CanalRider
    I think visibility is a valid point, I have lost count of the amount of cars I have nearly rear ended who park in cycle lanes, I thought it may be they are quite 'sharp' if you headbutt someone's calf with a peak.

My introduction is in a week. If they are worried about me looking silly they should decline my money. I think this session will hark back to my first day without stabilisers.
    --
  • CanalRider
    velokev wrote:
    I'm thinking that they are either worried about detachable peaks falling off or they are worried about poor visibility? You're in a quite agressive position on a track bike and a peak on a helmet could get in the way?
    Spot on, both reasons given in the briefing.

I have been watching the Worlds Championships all week and have a whole new respect for these guys and gals.

I had a great time, just as well as I have four more pre-paid sessions.

I can progress to stage 2 of the accreditation, I may do another taster as I still am not very confident riding on someones wheel and It'll be 5 weeks until I can get back to the track.
    --
  • velokev
    velokev Posts: 20
    Glad you had a good time!

I got into track cycling as the result of gift vouchers to the manchester velodrome a year ago - definitely got the bug. I'm accredited now but still a bit of a novice.

I'd recommend the accreditation - if it's anything like the process at manchester you will have a great time.
  • CanalRider
    Well I have done my Phase 2 and Phase 2+ (basically a Phase 3 run through) and have Phase 3 booked for 10 days time. Enjoying it immensely. taster was by far the hardest IMHO, not too sure why, nerves I guess and ninjas in my group :)

Trying to find somewhere that accepts Halfords C2W scheme vouchers and does track bikes before I retire.
    --
  • Bit of a thread bump, but I've just got home from doing my first ever track session at Derby.

Wow, that is seriously good fun. Can see how it could get rather addictive. If anyone is considering it - do so!