Wear helmet on the turbo trainer?

Escher303
Escher303 Posts: 342
edited February 2017 in Road beginners
Just bought a turbo trainer and wondered what the done thing was. Do people wear their helmet when on the turbo?

Comments

• Escher303 wrote:
    Just bought a turbo trainer and wondered what the done thing was. Do people wear their helmet when on the turbo?

Why would you? :?:
  • e735dba8_Cant-tell-if-serious-.jpeg
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Well you can't be too careful.

If you wear your helmet to shower and walk then yes - carry on.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I was in full out sprint mode the other morning, hell bent for leather, pulling hard up on the bars whilst stomping that front pedal down and pulling up hard on the rear pedal, just reaching my maximum watts when my foot came unclipped .... my knee smacked in to the drops cutting a great wedge out of the flesh ..... yet despite all of this I didn't even come close to falling off.

At best, put the helmet next to you ..... once you have finished your ride and your legs are like jelly, put the helmet on before stepping off the bike incase of sudden leg failure as you crumple to the floor.

in all seriousness though, NO !!!!! .... its hot enough without covering bits of your head up
  • LukeTC
    LukeTC Posts: 211
    Escher303 wrote:

Why would you? :?:
    Low ceilings
    Risk of falling objects
    Risk of objects thrown from angry spouses
    Training your head to organically mesh with your helmet etc etc
  • Why?

Like with wearing a helmet anywhere ...Because you choose to.

It's a choice, if you want to wear a helmet on a turbo or anywhere then wear it. There is no rule one way or the other in the UK whether riding a bike on the roads or a turbo or a downhill trail or wherever. However certain activities on a bike may have rules requiring helmets of course like racing.

Might be more useful to wear one of those comedy hats with the fans built in though. Just as safe and more comfortable perhaps.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Your house next to a busy road..??
  • fenix
    I have seen plenty of people wearing cycling tops for spin classes. Never sure why that was. We don't need the pockets, or to be aero.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,609
    Fenix wrote:
    I have seen plenty of people wearing cycling tops for spin classes. Never sure why that was. We don't need the pockets, or to be aero.

It's all the sport kit some of us have.

What would you wear?
  • fat daddy
    What would you wear?

sixsixone evo pressure suit ........ got to be safe !
  • LukeTC
    fat daddy wrote:
    What would you wear?

sixsixone evo pressure suit ........ got to be safe !
    I was thinking more mankini for the bib feeling and a string vest
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Fenix wrote:

What would you wear?
    cycling specific jimjams
  • fenix
    Fenix wrote:

What would you wear?

Cycling shorts for the padding and a base layer or tee shirt. Everyone has tee shirts yeah ?
  • Fair enough with bibs to keep the little feller in place, but after that it's an old Tshirt to mop the sweat.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,609
    Fenix wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

What would you wear?

Cycling shorts for the padding and a base layer or tee shirt. Everyone has tee shirts yeah ?

My base layers are a) cycling specific anyway and b) designed for cold weather.

and c) my t-shirts are 100% cotton, so very uncomfortable when they're wet, and they're all nice enough to wear in every day life, so why would I waste them on spinning?

I have the cycling kit, and I will be cycling (just indoors) so why not wear it? It's cut more appropriately, and it's more comfortable once I start to sweat.
  • Once I start to sweat the T comes off anyway and I'm sat there looking like a goon in a pair of bib shorts and shiny white shoes.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • fenix
    #sexy !
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,613
    Helmets are compulsory in Zwift races.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I wear mine when I'm on the rollers but not on the turbo
  • Vslowpace
    Vslowpace Posts: 189
    MrB123 wrote:

I can't ride Zwift races as my turbo bike has discs
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    fat daddy wrote:
    .......my knee smacked in to the drops cutting a great wedge out of the flesh

Which also begs the question of whether you should wear knee pads (and a helmet) when on the turbo?
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • LukeTC
    ayjaycee wrote:
    fat daddy wrote:
    .......my knee smacked in to the drops cutting a great wedge out of the flesh

Which also begs the question of whether you should wear knee pads (and a helmet) when on the turbo?
    bubbleman-floor.jpg
    Brb just warming up for a session
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    My helmet is always at the forefront of my mind, whatever I'm doing.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • fat daddy
    I see a whole new market for super lightweight, mega breathable trainer specific protection

(1) ankle brace for when you unclip one foot, get off the bike fail to unclip the other foot and wrench your ankle as you fall over
    (2) ball brace for the times you forget your bike is a few inches higher on the trainer and smack your nuts on the cross bar
    (3) Knee pads - for the obvious
    (4) Helmet - when you finish, jump off the bike go to unplug the trainer / slacken the wheel from the roller and smack your forehead against the still spinning rear wheel
    (5) finger guards for when you are trying to put your bike in the trainer and wedge them in the clamp
    (6) love handle protector ... for when trying to walk around the trainer 1st thing in the morning and you stab yourself in the waist on the handlebars

then there is the accessories that no one does yet.

(1) wee cup .. because weeing off the side of the bike onto the carpet is not acceptable
    (2) mesh bibtights - cooler than solid ones and no peleton to see your bum
    (3) one of those grabber things so the second you start a workout and realise you left something just out of reach you can get it
    (4) another one of those grabber things designed to grab your grabber when you realise you left it just out of reach
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    If we wish to optimise our training we need to make it as specific and 'close to the real thing' as possible. Marginal gains would suggest training with a helmet trains the rider to perform with the helmet on - so the answer is 'Yes, of course' ;)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • fat daddy
    marginal gains .. cant argue against that !

in which case I also need to stop every 2 minutes to simulate traffic lights and freewheel down hills ... liking this training malarkey, its getting easier :D
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    They always say no question is stupid and all is good but I have to doubt this one. Really? I can't believe it. Must be one of those pulling your leg kinda post.
  • Nope: It just gets super sweaty
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    fat daddy wrote:
    marginal gains .. cant argue against that !

in which case I also need to stop every 2 minutes to simulate traffic lights and freewheel down hills ... liking this training malarkey, its getting easier :D

and place the turbo in the shower - turned on cold - replicating UK weather .... :)
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Vslowpace wrote:
    MrB123 wrote:

I can't ride Zwift races as my turbo bike has discs

:lol::lol::lol:

My bike is under 6.8kg, so I'm also not allowed to race on Zwift.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop