Matte Black-maintenance

Tmdlkwd
Tmdlkwd Posts: 2
edited January 2017 in Road beginners
Hi,
Just purchased a caad12 disc. Matte black

What would you recommend to clean and protect ?
Polish and or a wax

Especially from smudges and oily prints. Getting a lot of those

Amazon US..has several matte cleaner detailer sprays

Any suggestions?
Please share if you have a specific process

Thanks!

Comments

• I've got the same problem, charcoal Allez. I've got some Armor All matt dashboard cleaner / protector that I use in the car that I was going to try, it comes in a tube of wipes or a pump spray from Halfords, about a fiver. Failing that I don't really know what else will protect without giving it a shine.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-cl ... tant-300ml

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-cl ... inish-x-30
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Not sure why you would want to cover your frame in polish or wax, tbh. Just keep the paint surface (ie the bike) clean and it should look after itself. Modern surface coatings are pretty good.

If you don't like the idea of fingerprints on a matt surface, then give yourself a good kick up the ar5e for choosing a frame with a matt finish in the first place, and resolve not to make the same mistake with your next purchase.
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    Imposter wrote:
    Not sure why you would want to cover your frame in polish or wax, tbh. Just keep the paint surface (ie the bike) clean and it should look after itself. Modern surface coatings are pretty good.

If you don't like the idea of fingerprints on a matt surface, then give yourself a good kick up the ar5e for choosing a frame with a matt finish in the first place, and resolve not to make the same mistake with your next purchase.

A bit harsh.

But I understand it your new Nike and you want to look pristine. Unfortunately no matter what you put on it will contain your finger prints. Unless you use film proctors then you won't see the smudges but that will give a polished finishish.
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • Red Ant do a range of bike cleaners for matt finish. I use it on a couple of my own bikes.

http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/brand/red-ant
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Baby wipes work on mine for cleaning, never needed anything to coat it with.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    You can get matt specific coatings for cars that reduce the grease/fingerprint marks.

I don't understand why everyone is slating the idea of waxing/coating the frame.
    Mine is regularly waxed/coated as it makes it much easier to keep clean and drys far quicker after getting wet.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Dannbodge wrote:
    I don't understand why everyone is slating the idea of waxing/coating the frame.
    Mine is regularly waxed/coated as it makes it much easier to keep clean and drys far quicker after getting wet.

This !

I cant be arsed to wax the majority of my bikes, but the commuter does get a wax and polish ... the black goop, crap, oil, tar, gunk just falls off in the rain or with a quick hose. Cleaning is far easier .. fully recommend it for any MTB or commuter
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have a matt finish CR1. Bought it as a frameset because it was going cheap, the geometry suited me and I'd always been curious to try a lightweight carbon bike. I certainly didn't buy it for it's looks; it's a bit forgettable to be honest. From the off it's been covered in greasy fingerprints, but they don't bother me so I haven't really tried to remove them. I quite like the 'just got it back from my mechanic' look...
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Muc off do a matt finish cleaner if you feel so inclined.

https://muc-off.com/products/matt-finish-detailer

Id imagine if you use sites specifically doing car cleaning stuff they would have something similar as matte and satin finishes are becoming more common.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    My Reacto is a matt frame and whatever I use it still dries matt. This time of year WD40 is great for helping get muck off after a ride on cruddy roads.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    I've had a matt black mountain bike for around 4 years. Not quite as easy as the glossy stuff to keep clean but doesn't show up half as bad. I've never felt the need to use any coatings or polishes - just a bit of Muc Off cleaner once in a while. Then again it's a mtb so looks best with a bit of mud clinging to it!

Road bike is matt red. Now that does show up the dirt!
  • kim10
    kim10 Posts: 186
    I have used the Red Ant Matt Finish Bicycle Frame Protector on the matte frame I have and it works really well. Does get rid of most finger prints and oily marks.
  • gdf
    gdf Posts: 26
    Another vote for Red Ant. Both the matt wash and protector are good.