FAO: Josh

pinno
pinno Posts: 51,195
Just been made aware of 'scraping'. i.e using threads for another forum. For example:

http://www.yellowjerseycyclist.com/topi ... 8/?page=24

Do the BR administration condone this? What's the legal standing?
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    The alarm bells and sprinklers have just gone off in Immediate Media's legal dept.....
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Do I get commission for my work?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    Do I get commission for my work?

No but you will get sectioned.
  • Just my impression or the site is going to the dogs?

Anyone for a comeback of heavy handed moderating?
    left the forum March 2023
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Just my impression or the site is going to the dogs?

Nope
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

No thanks. We've gone from 'over-moderated' to 'un-moderated'. I suspect what is needed is simply 'moderated'..
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    This ^^^^^^^^^ would be good.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,158
    No. We've been there and it was crap.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    Can anyone get in?

I get "Connection refused: http://www.yellowjerseycyclist.com:80"

I guess it's either picking up my IP address and blocking it or they've clocked us all. Can't even get in using a proxy server.

Try the link:

http://www.yellowjerseycyclist.com
  • Matthewfalle

Definitley not - it drove loads of people away and turned it turgid.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644

Definitley not - it drove loads of people away and turned it turgid.
    Is that an element of panic in there Matt? ;)
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • Matthewfalle
    Not really - I don't swear, am not racist, sexist, anti-Semitic or extremist: just pretty normal really.

The problem with heavy handed moderation is that one's purpose is another man's turn off: the forumites on here are a mixed bunch with all differing views on cycling and life, so unless you're going to be any of the above then let it be.

I'd be intrigued to see who Ugo was going to nominate to carry out the heavy handed moderation and what guidelines constituted heavy handed moderation......

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    Not really - I don't swear, am not racist, sexist, anti-Semitic or extremist: just pretty normal really.

The problem with heavy handed moderation is that one's purpose is another man's turn off: the forumites on here are a mixed bunch with all differing views on cycling and life, so unless you're going to be any of the above then let it be.

I'd be intrigued to see who Ugo was going to nominate to carry out the heavy handed moderation and what guidelines constituted heavy handed moderation......
    Only teasing you Matt, I like reading yours posts, even if I don't always agree (I still carry my cf framed bike on the roof) ;)
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • pinno
    ....just pretty normal really.

What?!
  • Matthewfalle
    Andcp wrote:

Only teasing you Matt, I like reading yours posts, even if I don't always agree (I still carry my cf framed bike on the roof) ;)

I know :)

Oh - Dirk is still in bits .... he fell on me the other day: I think he was trying to tell me something.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Pinno wrote:
    ....just pretty normal really.

What?!

quite run of the mill I'd say if I was asked to describe myself.....

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    You can't police the internet. People just find another outlet. Only way is to lock down the whole thing like North Korea then we all have to smile 24/7 and wave like petrified idiots at our glorious leader Pinno.

All hail Pinno!
  • I can't access yellowjerseycyclist either. Are others still unable to access?

Re. the moderating, I've mentioned before that it is only me for various reasons explained previously. As I hope you'll understand, it is a big forum to moderate for one person who also has other responsibilities. I appreciate any reports that are made by users, which significantly helps me out!
    BikeRadar Communities Manager
  • Matthewfalle
    You can't police the internet. People just find another outlet. Only way is to lock down the whole thing like North Korea then we all have to smile 24/7 and wave like petrified idiots at our glorious leader Pinno.

All hail Pinno!

Pinno is our leader and we respect him!

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle

All hail Pinno!

Pinno is our leader and we respect him!

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    And if we say it enough times we will start to believe it....

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • I'd be intrigued to see who Ugo was going to nominate to carry out the heavy handed moderation and what guidelines constituted heavy handed moderation......

There is no evidence that numbers were higher or indeed lower when moderation was more "heavy handed"... my gut feeling is that the forum was busier than than it is now, but I have no evidence to back it up.

It's not about who, but how... we can't allow people who have no interest in having genuine discussions to keep posting and opening a couple of pointless threads a day... folks who only have personal attack on the agenda to post freely... it just devalues the all place from a valuable source of information to a series of hysterical screams...

People are probably happy either way, let's face it, the forum is a time filler for folks who spend their working life in front of a monitor and can post between an email and a spreadsheet, but these things come and go with fashion and only the stuff that is genuinely useful tends to stick around.

I have learnt to ignore the various Paxingtons and b.1998 that keep posting shite, but the incentive to discuss topics on a level that is of any use to anybody else is going downhill.

It is very evident to me that folks who used to post regularly with plenty of knowledge, seem to post a lot less or have packed up altogheter... on the other hand, there is no shortage of idiots
  • smoggysteve
    I must say, the amount of people who have left or no longer post who were contributing rather than just arguing for arguments sake over the past 18 months is concerning for the health of the forum. There are people who you could genuinely call SME's on a particular subject or had the right sort of experience to give a valued opinion. Too many threads go off on complete tangents nit picking over frivolous details instead of offering any advice. Sometimes its funny, sometimes its down right abusive.

I would hate to see a heavy hand approach to monitoring the forum unless it is to remove anything blatantly prejudicial there should be more scope to nip in the bud the threads which descend into farce. If you just delete the pointless bickering when it becomes irrelevant to the subject on hand then hopefully the time wasting bullshit merchants will give up and move on.
  • I must say, the amount of people who have left or no longer post who were contributing rather than just arguing for arguments sake over the past 18 months is concerning for the health of the forum. There are people who you could genuinely call SME's on a particular subject or had the right sort of experience to give a valued opinion. Too many threads go off on complete tangents nit picking over frivolous details instead of offering any advice. Sometimes its funny, sometimes its down right abusive.

I would hate to see a heavy hand approach to monitoring the forum unless it is to remove anything blatantly prejudicial there should be more scope to nip in the bud the threads which descend into farce. If you just delete the pointless bickering when it becomes irrelevant to the subject on hand then hopefully the time wasting bullshit merchants will give up and move on.

Well, that's what we were trying to do a couple of years back... I guess people were not happy when we began to moderate even the Bottom Bracket section... the last pillar of "I say whatever I want" on the forum. At the time there was the perception, right or wrong, that it had gone too far and it needed to be moderated.
    Any other aspect of the moderation was better than the current lack of. Nuisance folks were regularly banned, threads locked, posts deleted... those who complained about that are the same people taking advantage of the current relaxed climate.
    We had two frame builders, where have they gone? We had a few folks really knowledgeable about everything down to the thread of that particular screw, nowhere to be seen...
    In return we have a plethora of tour operators, lots of incredible good advice about what looks good, sounds good.

I would say the ONLY interesting part of the forum today is the training, where there is still some very decent advice...

The amount of bollox I read daily in the workshop section is staggering...
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    I agree that it has gotten worse in the last year at least.
    I've been on here for over 10 years, and had never used the 'block' feature previously, but have found myself having to use it twice in the last 3 months :?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • smoggysteve
    I notice that too. I do get irked by a lot of the workshop threads where someone comments then someone else goes "tosh" "bollox" etc. No reason for why they disagree or why the opinion is wrong just total dismissal in the thinking. I don't agree so your wrong and I'm right sort of attitude. If it is the wrong advice then give a constructive response as to why. People get lambasted for have a wrong opinion. How can you have a wrong personal opinion? Its you think something then you are well within your rights to believe it. A bit more respect for other people's beliefs would go a long way. IMO that is.
  • I notice that too. I do get irked by a lot of the workshop threads where someone comments then someone else goes "tosh" "bollox" etc. No reason for why they disagree or why the opinion is wrong just total dismissal in the thinking. I don't agree so your wrong and I'm right sort of attitude. If it is the wrong advice then give a constructive response as to why. People get lambasted for have a wrong opinion. How can you have a wrong personal opinion? Its you think something then you are well within your rights to believe it. A bit more respect for other people's beliefs would go a long way. IMO that is.

There is that, but there is a general lack of spannering knowledge that used to be there. Most of the advice is generic blurb read on some other forums, like "bedding the pads in" as the universal solution to all braking problems...
  • pinno
    I must ...on.

I guess people were not happy when we began to moderate even the Bottom Bracket section... the last pillar of "I say whatever I want" on the forum. At the time there was the perception, right or wrong, that it had gone too far and it needed to be moderated.

The irony is, we hardly ever argue in BB - it's all banter. I cannot believe some of the stuff that people say on an open forum. It goes totally against the general bollox that we indulge in down in BB. No one insults anyone one in BB because we expect abuse and we are generally self policing. Apart from Stevo666, he's a tw@t.
    You can't pick out BB solely when some of the stuff in Crudcatcher is way above what I think is acceptable (sometimes). However, I have never flagged an insult in there because you 'enter at your own risk' and if you cannot tolerate being insulted or offended, then don't post there. The rest of the Crudders forum is pretty laid back. There's scant pickings for the popcorn munchers.

Aside from that. if Josh is on his own, it's a hell of a big forum to look after single handedly. He needs some assistance, somehow because the BR forum will end up being an ominous place to come and join, which is a pity as it's the best forum in terms of layout, options, reviews and discussion.

I think we need a new mantra ' 'Use it, not abuse it'. I think it should be down to certain individuals to say 'Come on fellas, there's no need for that... enough'.
  • Pinno wrote:

I think we need a new mantra ' 'Use it, not abuse it'. I think it should be down to certain individuals to say 'Come on fellas, there's no need for that... enough'.

Unfortunately we don't have a very discerning clientele, that moron of a troll of b.1998 can go on posting three stupid threads per day and you will find plenty of folks who are happy to contribute pages of nonsense, throwing buckets of mud on the forum... I wouldn't be surprised if the guy had someone paying him to do just that...

But le't be nice and open to everybody, just in case we ban the wrong guy and we are taken to court... as if the justice system had time for this crap

Utter nonsense.
  • Matthewfalle
    I notice that too. I do get irked by a lot of the workshop threads where someone comments then someone else goes "tosh" "bollox" etc. No reason for why they disagree or why the opinion is wrong just total dismissal in the thinking. I don't agree so your wrong and I'm right sort of attitude. If it is the wrong advice then give a constructive response as to why. People get lambasted for have a wrong opinion. How can you have a wrong personal opinion? Its you think something then you are well within your rights to believe it. A bit more respect for other people's beliefs would go a long way. IMO that is.

There is that, but there is a general lack of spannering knowledge that used to be there. Most of the advice is generic blurb read on some other forums, like "bedding the pads in" as the universal solution to all braking problems...

Yossie was pretty darn good on the spannering (in fact one of the best) but look what happened to him.

You bite the hand that feeds you and you get generic rubbish taking its place.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.