Taking a Bike on Flybe

enzo berzot
enzo berzot Posts: 96
edited June 2017 in Tour & expedition
I'm hoping to travel from Manchester to Toulouse in July, taking my bike in a bikebag.
The Flybe site says it accepts bikes only on a standby basis and cannot guarantee transport.
Am I correct in assuming this really only applies to shorter haul flights, eg. the Scottish Islands.
Has anyone had issues taking bikes on Flybe flights in France?
Cheers!

Comments

• Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    If that's their policy, how comfortable are you flying with the real possibility of not having your bike - would that be a major issue? (presumably so) - in which case, go with another airline.

All anyone here can do is speculate.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,865
    I guess it's because of the small aircraft they run (Dash 8s etc.) and the relatively large size of a bike box. If the flights are exactly what you want, you might send the bike separately, I guess. http://www.freewheelingfrance.com/plann ... rance.html
  • campagone
    campagone Posts: 270
    Hi enzo,
    Forgive me for resurrecting an old thread, can I ask what you decided to do regarding the flight to Toulouse or did you get some more info about taking your bike with Flybe. I'm thinking about booking a holiday in the Pyrenees with Marmot tours in June or July but only Flybe fly direct there from Manchester and I have some apprehensions regarding their bike policy
  • SMM
    SMM Posts: 28
    Hi

Appreciate this is an old thread but looking for some feedback on Flybe. Has anyone had any issues getting the bike on the plane as they don't guarantee you a space?

Flying from Manchester to Toulouse next month when the Tour is in the Pyrenees so just a bit concerned that there may be loads of other bikes on the plane and if my bike doesn't fly it's unlikely that there'll be any available to rent out there.

Cheers
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'm not sure any airlines guarantee that your Bike goes with you - but I've flown budget airlines lots of times without an issue.

Get to the airport early - I've been flying out for events with lots of bikes and it's always been fine.
  • campagone
    campagone Posts: 270
    Can't help I'm afraid, I didn't get any answers and ended up going with Easyjet from Bristol in the end, but I know it sucks that you can't book your bike onto Flybe planes. I think it's a daft policy which I'm sure is costing them a bit of business.

Hope you get the answers your looking for