Ferdi Kubler is dead

davidof
davidof Posts: 3,032
edited January 2017 in Pro race
Swiss legend Ferdinand Kubler has died aged 97. He was the first Swiss rider to win the TdF in 1950 and the oldest surviving Tour de France winner. He had been in hospital having come down with a bad cold.

428a102beb010a1c75ad0f8635dec932.jpg

Also passing this Christmas, Canadian neo pro Ellen Watters after a training accident and French neo Pro Etienne Fabre after a fatal fall cross training in the Bauges.
BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
Instagramme

Comments

• salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    :(:(
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    I assume this leaves Federico Bahamontes (88) as the oldest living Tour winner.

Edit: No, I assume wrong. It's Roger Walkowiak - 89
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    I assume this leaves Federico Bahamontes (88) as the oldest living Tour winner.

Edit: No, I assume wrong. It's Roger Walkowiak - 89

No shame in that - pretty much all the favourites in 1956 managed to overlook him too...

Cracking photo of Kubler there, btw.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    According to him, his greatest regret was not winning the Tour de France in 1949. His bike tyre got punctured while he was in the lead. He had to wait 20 minutes until a rescue vehicle turned up because his own vehicle had met with an accident.

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/ferdy-kuebl ... s/42801304
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    davidof wrote:
    According to him, his greatest regret was not winning the Tour de France in 1949. His bike tyre got punctured while he was in the lead. He had to wait 20 minutes until a rescue vehicle turned up because his own vehicle had met with an accident.

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/ferdy-kuebl ... s/42801304

Bet he didn't start running :P.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,508
    Wholly inappropriate place to say this, but does it make anyone else think of Nightmare on Elm Street?