Baggy Shorts

trevorh
trevorh Posts: 87
edited December 2016 in MTB buying advice
Any recommendations for the above? Generally XC or light trail riding. Bought some from Sports Direct but the fit is awful in any size (medium too small, large too big).

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Personally I find Endura baggy shorts a good compromise of durability, quality and price.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Endura stuff is normally my first choice.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • doomanic
    doomanic Posts: 238
    I just wear cheap cargo shorts from Tesco but if I was desperate for some proper cycling shorts I'd go for Endura as well. I have the Singletrack trousers and they are very good.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Proper mountain bike baggy shorts have much better abrasion resistance than normal cargo shorts. That has two advantages, they won't tear as easily and they'll give you more protection from gravel rash.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Still wearing my Altura baggies I got with an MBUK subscription about 5 years ago!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kirby700
    kirby700 Posts: 458
    I'm on my third pair of madison zenith. Bloody best shorts I've ever had on, very resistant to impact damage (I can verify this) stretchy and comfortable.

Also just subbed to Mbuk and got some altura shorts. Seem OK if a little thin for winter.
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • doomanic
    Proper mountain bike baggy shorts have much better abrasion resistance than normal cargo shorts. That has two advantages, they won't tear as easily and they'll give you more protection from gravel rash.
    No doubt, but cost 5 times as much. Money that is better spent on post-ride bacon sarnies.
  • The Rookie
    Not really, be comfortable and secure on a ride means you enjoy it more and ride linger and further.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • doomanic
    Going to have to agree to disagree on this then. I'm just as happy in my 10 quid Tesco shorts in warm weather as I am in my 70 quid Singletrack trousers in cold weather. I wear the same liner shorts under both. Spending 45 quid on fancy shorts won't make a jot of difference to me.
  • The Rookie
    So your second post disagrees with your first, and agrees with my point for during poor weather (so 9 months of the year)......
  • doomanic
    It really doesn't, but whatever makes you feel superior.
  • rockmonkeysc
    doomanic wrote:
    No doubt, but cost 5 times as much. Money that is better spent on post-ride bacon sarnies.

Id rather have the extra protection in a high speed crash.
    They are more expensive but I've got Endura shorts which cost £45 including a padded liner and are seven years old and still like new.
  • doomanic
    I'd rather not fall off in the first place. :D

My current Tesco shorts are about 5 years old and tough as old boots, they'll do for me and Endura are clearly doing the job for you. Everyone's a winner.