Help needed with Zesty build

Garzi
Garzi Posts: 4
edited January 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,
I have recently purchased a Lapierre Zesty frame ( circa 2011 ) after my previous Spicy developed a crack.
The idea is to swap most of the parts over from my old bike to the new one.
Most things should fit but lapierre changed headsets design around 2010 so the old bike has a straight 1 1/8” headset and the newer one has a tapered ‘Semi-integrated’ 1 1/8”-1.5” headset.
The fork is obviously 1 1/8 straight type as per the old frame – so I know I will need an adapter - something like this

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/hope ... lsrc=aw.ds

Also I have the parts in the photo below - which are from the headset in the Zesty
1rfrgxmlgdbu66z232i9_thumb.jpg

My main question is: in what order do the below parts fit into the frame?
Failing that, does anyone have a diagram or manual page from Lapierre ?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yup, that's the adaptor you need.

As with any headset, upper and lower cups installed in frame with their bearings (that will only work one way), crown race onto the adaptor on the fork, install fork then fit the compression ring (similar to a crown race but they can only fit one way round on tapered and then the top cap.

It's hard to say from the photo but 3 and 5 look like your cups, 4 and 6 the bearings, 2 looks like a seal to fit under 7 the top cap, 1 may be a compression ring (can't see a taper in the photo but that may just be the angle) but you don't have the crown race which the frame seller probably left on his forks (common mistake). If you can't get that you'll need a new lower headset.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Garzi
    The Rookie wrote:
    Yup, that's the adaptor you need.

As with any headset, upper and lower cups installed in frame with their bearings (that will only work one way), crown race onto the adaptor on the fork, install fork then fit the compression ring (similar to a crown race but they can only fit one way round on tapered and then the top cap.

It's hard to say from the photo but 3 and 5 look like your cups, 4 and 6 the bearings, 2 looks like a seal to fit under 7 the top cap, 1 may be a compression ring (can't see a taper in the photo but that may just be the angle) but you don't have the crown race which the frame seller probably left on his forks (common mistake). If you can't get that you'll need a new lower headset.

thanks very much for the help.
    yep upper and lower races are still pressed in the frame - nothing else - thats fine / clear
    1 - yes, some kind of split compression ring - but doesn't seem right when placed tapered end into the 1/ 1/8" bearing - stick out a lot - looks way too tall for the bearing space - will take a pic
    2 - yes, hard plastic washer/spacer/ seal of some sort - seems like it could fit in the upper bearing somewhere - not clear
    3, and 5 are the same - a spacer of some sort - odd profile, different on each side - will take a pic - not obvious where they fit. if we can work out where these go the rest may become clear...

4, and 6 are the bearings - clear
    7, is the upper race - outer cup - so thats clear/fine

items in normal text clear
    items in bold still unclear where they fit

i will attach another photo or two which will hopefully help

1zrajdhe0tdq3lic2x1i_thumb.jpg

6phu2nvt2073004d5lu8_thumb.jpg

thanks again for your help
  • Garzi
    i now think 3 and 5 are not part of the headset - the guy that supplied them may just have confused things
    not sure about 2 either - but i think i am missing the lower crown race in any case
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It's common for people to forget the crown race I'm afraid, if you know the angle in the bearing you may be able to get just a race, otherwise it's a new lower headset at least.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.