1x conversion?

Phil Mountain
Phil Mountain Posts: 15
edited January 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
I was just wondering if it was economically viable to convert my existing 3x9 speed to a 1x10 or 11 speed on my 2009 FSR Stumpjumper or just better to buy a new bike (when I can afford one :( )? Has anyone else done the conversion on this frame?

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    A 1x10 conversion isn't going to break the bank if you choose components sensibly.

Go for a Shimano SLX shifter and rear mech (make sure you get the "Shadow PLUS" version) for about £45 altogether.
    Sunrace MS3 11-42T cassette for less than £40,
    Superstar IO Narrow-wide chainring about £15.
    KMC X10 chain for about £10 on ebay.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I did my slightly cheaper than that.
    Sunrace MX3 £48
    KMC lightweight chain off eBay £13
    Tiagra shifter (works with 9 speed mech) off eBay £23
    Narrow Wide chainring off Pinkbike for £8.

Any frame will run 1x if it can run triple or double, there is nothing special about the frame in that respect. Was running 1x on my old 2006 framed Carrera hardtail and now on my 2006 frame FS. I also run 1x on my 1997 Gary Fisher Piranha town hack bike and was on my 2005 Carrera hybrid commuter (now a 2016 Planet-X frame).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    I've just changed from a 7yr old SLX 3x9 setup to a new XT 1x11 group set on the same frame (2009 SJ FSR Elite) and it seems to work ok. I've not ridden it in anger yet, just a test ride so far.

I have also just replaced the Fox triad shock with a 3016 Fox Float DPS Performance shock as the Triad was gubbed and needed a service or replacement. I've replaced the pivot bearings at the same time.

It is still cheaper than buying a new bike ;)
  • Thanks for all your advice. So basically I'll need for a 1x conversion :

1. New cassette (considering a 11-46t? might as well go for 11 speed if buying a new cassette and bigger range? )
    2. New 11 speed shifter
    3. New rear mech with clutch (to maintain chain tension)
    4. New chainring - narrow-wide to help prevent chain coming off (maybe 32 or 34t?)
    5. New 11 speed chain (as narrower than existing 9 speed to suit new 11 speed cassette)
    plus a chain whip, cassette removal tool and some blue loctite (I think I already have all other tools)

My current setup is
    22-32-44 chainrings
    11-12-14-16-19-22-25-30-34 cassette

I'll loose a bit of gear ratio on the current highest possible gear (4.0 vs 2.9) but I rarely use it anyway.
    Steep hills will be a bit harder to climb in lowest gear (0.65 vs 0.70) but I suppose I'll get stronger/fitter?

What's your thoughts?
  • Right now, we're in the chill part of the season. So if you want to experiment, now is the best time to do it. Take your bike outside, shift to your 32T chainring and go ride a variety of terrain while only shifting the rear. Do some climbing, as that's the most important thing to have covered.
    Then it's up to you to decide, whether you need a 46T sprocket, but my money says that probably not. 11-46 range would IMHO be suitable for at least a 36T chainring.
    Because if it turns out that you'd be fine with a 36T sprocket, all you need is to buy an 11-36 cassette and a narrow/wide chainring.

I was very opposed to 1x setup (as an XC rider), mainly because I did occasionally use the 22T chainring. The thing is, I probably mostly used out of habit ("you shall not cross they chain ever" they said). Around 0.9 should be enough to climb pretty much anywhere.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I was riding 1x9 for two years using 11-34, the lack of low gears was only an issue on much longer rides where I couldn't hit the hills fast enough to get up in my lowest gear due to the need to conserve energy, I'm now running an 11-40 (although the chainring has gone from a 32 to a 34t), that was in my late 40's as an indication of my physical abilities!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • moonshine
    FWIW, I've gone to a 32t front chain ring and a 11-40t cassette
  • Many thanks for all your advice. There's a lot of food for thought. I've just been for a spin around the block (I live at the top of a steep dead end street) using my current middle 32t chainring (as LimitedGarry suggested). I tried downhill and flat using 32t/11t and uphill using 32t/34t. I think I'll be ok with a 32t chainring like moonshine did. I might just need a bit more help on technical climb so I think I'll need a 42t largest cog on the cassette.. 46t might be a bit excessive plus the higher gear ratio will make me work harder and shed the Xmas lard. Happy riding in 2017!
  • moonshine
    apologies, just checked, I have a 11-42T cassette, (not a 11-40T cassette as previously stated ) ;)
  • moonshine wrote:
    apologies, just checked, I have a 11-42T cassette, (not a 11-40T cassette as previously stated ) ;)
    Did you use a direct mount to your Stumpy frame or a mech hanger for your new derailleur?
  • moonshine
    i just removed the old SLX 9sp RD and bolted the new 11 mech onto the RD hanger that was on the frame in its place - so i guess a rear hanger mount - it never even crossed my mind TBH.
  • Many thanks. I'll give it a go. I've just got to decide which components to go for.
  • moonshine
    my SLX chainset was knackered anyway, so i splurged £300 and got a full 1x11sp XT drivetrain groupset from CRC. i changed my brakes last year from the stock avids to XT so i didn’t need brakes.