Brake bleed help!

jon1993
jon1993 Posts: 596
edited December 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
I have some sram guide r brakes they have only had 5 rides and I decided to shorten the hose. I cut the hose replaced the barb and expansion spacer (olive) for new ones. I then went to bleed the system and accidently used reverb oil which is 2.5wt suspension oil yesterday which I tried to replace today. I am trying to push the fluid from the caliper up to the lever but it just won't push fluid through. When I pull the lever it still compresses the caliper but feels spongey.

Could anyone shed some light on why the fluid won't push through?. I took the hose back off just to check it isn't anything at the caliper end and fluid pushes through very easy.

Thanks

Jon
Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
Giant Faith 2 DH bike
Boardman pro 2011
Boardman team carbon 2010
Carrera kracken 2009
Specialized fsr pro 2009
Haro custom build
Cannondale custom build

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have had issues on the SRAM bleed kit if the hoses are left locked off with them then sticking and not flowing.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jon1993
    I double checked the hoses to make sure they had no kinks in so it is unlikely that would be the case but thank you for your suggestion
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Another thought, on Shimano if the lever adjust is wound in too far it can block off the port from the reservoir to lever cylinder meaning fluid can't be pushed back from the calliper, not sure if that applies to SRAM or not.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jon1993
    That might be a good shout, ill have a quick look see if i move the lever but i pushed on the plunger whilst slowly returning the lever to full extension but nothing happened. might be worth another go though, thanks
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build