New Hybrid Bike - £200 - "love the halfords elyse"

wolfsbane2k
wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
edited December 2016 in MTB buying advice
HI.
Sorry, know this isn't really the right section ;)

OH has decided to get a bike, and on a trip to Halfrauds she's fallen in love with the apollo elyse:
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/c ... ybrid-bike

Wondering if anyone else has a better value for money at this price point?

It's a weekend family ride bike, gravel paths the worst it'll handle. - max 4 miles, at slow, slow pace ( for a few years anyway)

Cheers!
Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It's a sack of crap. Real bottom end stuff but at £200 you are buying right at the bottom end.
    It'll be very heavy and components aren't particularly durable.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    ........but it will be absolutely fine for what you want it for :-)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's a heavy sack of crap. She'll ride it once, hate it and it will prop up the shed.

Which will give you more time for serious riding, if that's the plan.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • wolfsbane2k
    I thought as much. I've tried to drag her to the second hand bike shop, given that this is really a "ride with the toddlers" bike, while i do the leg work with cargo bike &/or towing.
    More to enable a more cycle friendly family and to get some form of activity in.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Have a look here. The staff are usually very helpful on the phone, if you don't live near their stores.

https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/bicycl ... rder=price
  • Voodoo Marasa for £270 with British Cycling discount? http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/h ... ybrid-bike
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Crossfire isn't much more for a similar shape
    Elyse does have the advantage of guards and rack included, but could do with a sealed BB.
    Carrera Axel is far better spec for the money, but rigid mtb shaped
  • wolfsbane2k
    Thanks all.
    Gives me a few more things to look at. She's stuck on the purple at the moment, rather than weight :-(
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    DUPMC204_2.jpg

Sorted!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • wolfsbane2k
    Buying a second hand one I'd be less bothered. Lost out on a good nick one yesterday that for a fiver was worth the risk of her not liking it!
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    A bit of purple vinyl wrap, and she'll love any bike.