Reviewing ride data?

neil h
neil h Posts: 499
edited January 2017 in Road beginners
Apologies if this is a long standing argument (type thing) but I'm looking for an app/software for viewing data after a ride. Is Strava really the way to go or are there better options?

Comments

• neil h wrote:
    Apologies if this is a long standing argument (type thing) but I'm looking for an app/software for viewing data after a ride. Is Strava really the way to go or are there better options?

You'll probably need to define what you want to see and what data you're gathering with what devices to get an accurate answer
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • And if it has to work on a Windows/Linux/Mac device or a web application... Whether you want your data stored "in the cloud" or on your local hard drive...
  • neil h
    neil h Posts: 499
    neil h wrote:

You'll probably need to define what you want to see and what data you're gathering with what devices to get an accurate answer

For the moment it's simply for opening the .fit files that Zwift spits out (so data from HRM, cadence sensor and power meter).

As for what platform it supports, ideally iOS.
  • Perhaps give GoldenCheetah a try as, I believe it's free. TrainingPeaks is the more commercial alternative.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    neil h wrote:
    I've been using Strava for about 4 years and seems to be what most cyclists use to download their data to. It's good for viewing your data and looking at segments where you ride - you can see where you are in relation to others that have ridden the segments, which is usually not very high in my case :(

Why don't you try Strava and see - it doesn't cost anything unless you go Premium which I haven't done.
  • SME
    SME Posts: 348
    Personally, I use IpBike.

It records rides and turbo workouts with whatever sensors you have using either Bluetooth or ANT+ (although I haven't tried the turbo 'thing'!). The rides are recorded with GPS so your trip can be uploaded to Strava, RunKeeper, VeloHero, GoogleFit, and some others, for later analysis ie times on segments in Strava. I've also made some routes on Strava and downloaded them to my phone for the app to use (.gpx files).

You can also program in various training sessions with sprints, cadences, heart rates, etc as a goal, and rest periods between, which can be looped and repeated as required.

The app records such things as max & ave speed, cadence, power, etc, as well as how long you spent in a range ie on a 20 min trip I might have spent 10 of it with a cadence of 80-90, or I spent 12 mins in the 13-17 mph speed range, etc.

It's quite an 'in depth' app, and with my Z3 Compact having a good battery life and being waterproof, it's been my 'pseudo Garmin Edge' for a while now!
  • Personally I use Golden Cheetah, a bit of a learning curve but has pretty much everything you will need, it is free and being constantly developed. Also there is a very good usurgroup where ideas and issues are discussed.
  • drwae
    drwae Posts: 223
    I use Strava and VeloViewer which are perfectly fine for my needs, although I'm a beginner.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I just go with strava (premium).

I tried Golden Cheetah, but I'm too casual a user to get enough out of it.

Strava free is too basic, but premium has pretty much everything you'd need in a nice concise package.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017