Wiggins Chartres Junior 20" - any good?

dirkpitt74
dirkpitt74 Posts: 518
edited December 2016 in Family & kids cycling forum
Daughter needs a new bike and with various discounts etc. I can grab one of the above for £180.
Quite tempted as it'll be £80 cheaper than the equivalent Frog and half the price of an Isla.
Anyone got one?
How do the kids find the gearing etc.?
Thanks

Comments

• natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    Well, its got weird back to front forks, but looks like a good deal for the money.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/k ... or-bike-20

My son didn't get on with the twist grip gears on his Islabike so I fitted thumbshifters like the ones that are on the Wiggins.
    Main downside is that it probably won't have the resale value of an Islabike or a Frog...........
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • So what happened ???

Its an alloy double butted frame..(and alloy forks).. the rest of the kit is the same as the Frog or Isla which is what is it.

Without going to something with disk brakes and a cassette rather than freewheel (£££) it really seems about the same.
    Imagine Islabikes somehow have a 20% lighter frame (I don't think they do but imagine.... )
    How much difference does that make on a 20" frame ???

Almost nothing as most of the weight is components a full carbon frame won't make much difference except to your wallet .... changing the components is ££££ .... even a carbon frame needs metal bits and the metal bits will weigh more than the carbon .. (seatposts are an example.... the bolts for the saddle weigh more than the rest of the seatpost)

Get them onto the 20" and off onto a 24" (that you can upgrade) ASAP with the least cost...