Fitting BB30 converter without a press?

drshoe
drshoe Posts: 27
edited December 2016 in Workshop
Has anyone managed to fit this

https://goo.gl/MXykNK

without a press?

I've previously managed to replace the BB30 bearings without a press, but this seems to be more difficult.... I notice on here several people having had the same issues in the past. Maybe I should've just gone for a rotor or praxis converter...

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I second just going for the Rotor converter.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • If you are based anywhere near Manchester I have all the tools to fit this for you.

It is not hard to do you need a length of threaded bar and some washers made of thick plate or round bar a little larger than the BB diameter and two nuts and wind it into place.

I go a bit further and grub screw it in place so it can not move round or sideways

to help the fitting process put he frame in a warm room for an hour or so and the insert in the freezer overnight.

DON'T HAMMER IT IN

Paul
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Its easy enough to make a press with a few nut and bolts and oversized washers.

Get two washers that are larger than the bb shell (all these items are available at B&Q) a bolt or threaded bar which is long enough to fit through the sleeve and empty shell and 4 nuts. Simple and cheap
  • drshoe
    edited December 2016
    edit
  • drshoe
    Thanks for all the advice, but.... I've hammered it in. (why did I post if I wasn't gonna take the advice)

Although I did do the freezer tip and it helped a lot.

I think it's probably about 1/4 - 1/2 mm out of alignment, but couldn't get it in any further (a frequent problem for me :wink: ), now away for 5 days so couldn't test bottom bracket as locktite had to be left for 12 hours, when I get back, I will update on my potential bodge!
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    That 1/4 mm could effect how the bearings tighten. I would still make sure its flush bith ends. You mrss this up its almost impossible to get back out again. And you invalidate any warranty now you've fit it.
  • hambini
    hambini Posts: 113
    Drshoe wrote:
    Thanks for all the advice, but.... I've hammered it in. (why did I post if I wasn't gonna take the advice)

Although I did do the freezer tip and it helped a lot.

I think it's probably about 1/4 - 1/2 mm out of alignment, but couldn't get it in any further (a frequent problem for me :wink: ), now away for 5 days so couldn't test bottom bracket as locktite had to be left for 12 hours, when I get back, I will update on my potential bodge!

I think you'll probably get away with that amount of misalignment. The only thing I think it could affect is the chainline spacing. Shims should sort that out.
  • Another vote for the self-made press using threaded rod, nuts and custom washers, the latter of which I got from LaserMaster. Have made presses for headets and BB86 & PF30 (BBRight) bottom brackets, all of which worked perfectly.

http://www.lasermaster.co.uk/
  • drshoe
    Fitted the BB and crank today, no issues. So glad to be rid of BB30 at last, so satisfying screwing in my shimano BB.

Still, having done it, would advise people against hammering it in. If nothing else, the stress of it covered in loctite and not being sure if it will go was too much.

A1JhmWH.jpg

sO1tvtY.jpg