Carrie Fisher

imposter2.0
imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
edited December 2016 in The cake stop
Not well at all, apparently. Was taken off a flight into LA earlier in cardiac arrest. Not good...

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    May the force be with her.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    It'll be the second time the Kleenex shares have skyrocketed as the result of her.
  • lucan2
    lucan2 Posts: 293
    Who?
  • imposter2.0
    Lucan2 wrote:
    Who?

Think Star Wars, think Princess Leia, that kind of thing...
  • Imposter wrote:
    Lucan2 wrote:
    Who?

I wasn't sure who she was either. Somehow Star Wars passed me by until a month or two back when I caught the last film during 24 hours of long haul flights.

Anyhow, I hope she recovers, whoever she is (I think she was the old lady in the film I saw).
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,623
    Imposter wrote:
    Lucan2 wrote:
    Who?

I wasn't sure who she was either. Somehow Star Wars passed me by until a month or two back when I caught the last film during 24 hours of long haul flights.

Anyhow, I hope she recovers, whoever she is (I think she was the old lady in the film I saw).
    Why do some people wear a complete ignorance of Star Wars as a badge of pride? Oh, sorry, wrong thread....
  • Imposter wrote:
    Lucan2 wrote:
    Who?

Why do some people wear a complete ignorance of Star Wars as a badge of pride? Oh, sorry, wrong thread....

Ha :lol: No - in my case I'm slightly bewildered by how I've "missed" it. It has somehow never bubbled up to the surface.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • First.Aspect
    Imposter wrote:
    Lucan2 wrote:
    Who?

Ha :lol: No - in my case I'm slightly bewildered by how I've "missed" it. It has somehow never bubbled up to the surface.
    Were your parents religious freakoids who had a large illuminated copy of the bible in the corner where a TV should be and who disapprove of buttons? Sorry, wrong thread...
  • Imposter wrote:
    Lucan2 wrote:
    Who?

Were your parents religious freakoids who had a large illuminated copy of the bible in the corner where a TV should be and who disapprove of buttons? Sorry, wrong thread...

Far from it. I hate The Archers too (in case you were wondering) :wink:
    I think I was too busy with playing sport and chasing girls when Star Wars first came out (not that I'm characterising Star Wars fans - oh no :wink: ) and somehow never caught up
  • First.Aspect
    Ah, you may have something there. I was 4 when Star Wars came out. And it is for children really. Bit like Dr. Who.
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    Ah, you may have something there. I was 4 when Star Wars came out. And it is for children really. Bit like Dr. Who.

And Harry Potter!

Shame about Carrie Fisher though. Hope she recovers.
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • I was 13 when it came first came out and girls were beginning to get properly interesting (and Dr Who less so...)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,472
    I was 13 when it came first came out and girls were beginning to get properly interesting (and Dr Who less so...)

I would have thought at that age you'd have known exactly who Carrie Fisher was even if you'd never watched Star Wars. The scene where she is Jabba's slave must have been very popular with teenage boys! Unfortunately the version you saw on your flight is a cautionary tale on the effects of substance abuse (even allowing for the passing of an additional 30 odd years). I see the Mail are already linking her heart attack to the self-confessed drug use in their ever classy way.
  • Pross wrote:
    I was 13 when it came first came out and girls were beginning to get properly interesting (and Dr Who less so...)

I would have thought at that age you'd have known exactly who Carrie Fisher was even if you'd never watched Star Wars. The scene where she is Jabba's slave must have been very popular with teenage boys! Unfortunately the version you saw on your flight is a cautionary tale on the effects of substance abuse (even allowing for the passing of an additional 30 odd years). I see the Mail are already linking her heart attack to the self-confessed drug use in their ever classy way.

This was in the days long before the interweb. You couldn't really ask the projectionist to rewind it a couple of times :wink:
  • imposter2.0
    Anyway, the good news is that she's still around. Long may that continue...
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Imposter wrote:
    Lucan2 wrote:
    Who?

Because I was busy doing something worthwhile whilst it was on?
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • motogull
    motogull Posts: 325
    She was also in the Blues Brothers.

Hopefully she's going to be okay.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    You either love star wars or just dont get it. I get it and it part of everyones cultural heritage.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • lucan2
    lucan2 Posts: 293
    You either love star wars or just dont get it. I get it and it part of everyones cultural heritage.

I don't get it, but then, I don't get films generally. Never have. Cinema is usually good for a snooze, whatever's on.

[Waits for someone to ask why go if I don't watch the film......]
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Spoiler: She looked really amazing at the end of Rogue One, not aged a day in 40 years

Also HER MOTHER told the press she was recovering well, this is Debbie Reynolds the co-star of Singing in the Rain, who must be pushing 100. She seems immune to the "curse of 2016" (as is Kirk Douglas, 100 this month, and also Dick van Dyke, 91, gearing up for the Mary Poppins sequel)
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,400
    2AC7C698-A778-4ADB-B219-753BC5C03D69_zpsfqlrzzay.png

You're welcome.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • mrfpb
    Can I refer all sceptics to the popular Radio 4 series "I've never seen Star Wars" in which celebrities admit to not doing things that "everyone" has done.

There are films that are so overhyped that I can quote them and give decent critique without having watched them -Casablanca, The Conversation, Taxi Driver, The French Connection. I like the star wars series, I was the right age for it in the 70s/80s and my kids are the right age for the new ones. However I have no knowledge of movies for adults released in the ten years after I became a parent . I guess we all have gaps like that.
  • Thanks seanoconn - though I seem to remember one of the guys at school passing around his dad's Dutch "girly mags" which kinda rendered a lady in a fancy bikini with curtains a bit "meh". The funny thing was the woodwork teacher confiscated one of these publications - only for us to discover it again 4 or 5 years later in his desk drawer....

I don't wear my Star Wars thing as a badge of honour - it's pretty much as mrfpb describes above - it just passed me by. There may well be people for whom Harry Potter does the same.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    She's died :(
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,858
    There may well be people for whom Harry Potter does the same.
    Who?
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    Carrie doesn't live here anymore,struth.
  • There may well be people for whom Harry Potter does the same.
    Who?

My kids adored listening to Stephen Fry (odds on him lasting the week?) reading the Potter books on CD in the car - perfect for 8 hour drives to and from the Highlands - never once an "Are we there yet?"
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,400
    :cry:
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • mrfpb
    C0s5Z6mUQAAUcc5.jpg