Cannondale Frame Corrosion

7rgv
7rgv Posts: 7
edited December 2016 in Workshop
Hi,

I have a 2015 Cannondale Bad Boy 2 (Urban/Hybrid): approx. 3 months past the 1 year warranty the aluminium frame is showing areas of corrosion ie. where the frame has been drilled into by the manufacturer - the paint is 'bubbling' as can be seen in the images. I use the bike to commute with in all kinds of weather but I always hose down and/or wash the bike after each use and dry afterwards, storing indoors. I have 4 high-end road bikes which I maintain meticulously, including a Colnago Aluminium CX which gets the worst treatment and is spotless. The Cannondale Bad Boy 2 is a one below the top model and is disappointing the frame is corroding so quickly. I contacted Cannondale but was told, even just after warranty, the situation is the 'brutal truth'. After making an argument with them otherwise, they agreed to take it in but 'bounced' back immediately - eyewash only. I know this corrosion is malignant and spreads, is there anything I can do to prevent further damage and increase life-span ?

Thanks.

ps. Sorry, I am not able to post the images yet.

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    without seeing the piccie sits hard to tell, but with a lot of this corrosion under the paint (i.e. Filliform etc) the only answer is to take the paint off the affected areas plus a tad more than repaint.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • 7rgv
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, priming-repainting seems to be the only solution, but I've heard that the corrosion can continue under the new paint ? I'm more disappointed that it has happened so quickly and that cannondale fobbed me off so readily. The frame was drilled into after painting - leaving exposed areas of aluminium.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Did you buy direct from Cannondale? If not, take it back to the shop and ask for your money back (the place you buy from should sort out warranty issues).
  • 7rgv
    The bike was 2 months beyond the 1 year warranty, the corrosion would have begunduring the warranty period but was only noticed during a major service. I bought online from Tredz who were brilliant, but since it was technically out of warranty it was upto cannondale's discretion - and they were a bit rude about it, sigh.
  • I had the same problem on a Specialized Stumpjumper. Warranty was life for the frame, but they argued it was just paint bubbling, so not a structural problem... It probably just needs a powder coat... 50-60 pounds or so
    left the forum March 2023
  • Matthewfalle
    Then £20 for some stickers and a further £20 to lacquer over, so a ton in total but at least it's done for life.

A hassle but not the end of the world.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • 7rgv
    I had the same debate with Cannondale, they said the paint was bubbling and that paintwork was not covered - however, frame corrosion (which is causing the bubbling) is a frame issue and can lead to structural weakness and failure. At this point they agreed to look at the bike, which when sent, was summarily dismissed hoping this would keep me quiet. This issue came about by careless design and manufacture, a large opening in the bottom bracket (for cables) let water in and corrosion began at post-paint drill sites.
  • Matthewfalle
    If they've flicked you off then Ugo and my advice is the only way to go then.

More importantly, any piccies of the RGV? VJ21 or VJ22? Even a '23?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • 7rgv
    Yes, Matthew I will be following yours and Ugo's advice and get it re-done if it gets much worse.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Corrosion only 'spreads' due to the continued exposure of bare metal - the aluminium oxide formed in the process of corrosion itself is actually protective of the aluminium. As the corrosion is around a hole in the frame, then this clearly isn't a high-stress location so even less of a worry. Although unsightly, your frame probably isn't going to break in two.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • 7rgv
    Yes, I've heard the Aluminium oxide is protective. Hopefully the corrosion stops, though I've heard that it can spread along the edges.