Eroica

Oldnslo
Oldnslo Posts: 6
edited December 2016 in Tour & expedition
Hi all. I'm planning to ride the permanent route of the Eroica in Tuscany in May next year over three days.I intend to hire a a bike but I'm a bit worried about the effect of the typical 42/21 bottom gear of vintage bikes on my 55 year old knees. If l hire a modern bike can I still get my route card stamped or are the vintage rules still applied outside of the official October event.

Comments

• Hi,

I wasn't aware of a route card outside the main event. I know the course is fully signed but it's not a permanent brevet as such. I would think you can ride whatever you fancy. With a 42 x 21 you will have to walk up Monte Sante Marie and Montalcino. The other climbs are doable
    left the forum March 2023
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,041
    There is also an Eroica in the spring now: http://www.novaeroica.com/ (open to modern bikes), if you are interested.

You have to look closely for the signs in some places, A gpx in you bike computer might be easier to follow.

These places can stamp your route card: http://www.eroicagaiole.com/see-facilities-authorized

As you say, it is not clear what the rules are: http://www.eroicagaiole.com/permanent-route
    but you could probably drive around in a Fiat 500 and still get the stamps, being Italy and all. :-)
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Thanks for that info, I had assumed it was permanent brevet. I am still looking at steel frames on eBay and toying with the idea of building a suitable bike up. A workmate is doing the British Eroica and has acquired six old bikes with the hope of cobbling together one goodish one but unfortunately it'll be too big a size for me to borrow. Thanks again.
  • I'm thinking about doing L'eroica this year. One of my Christmas presents is the permission to do something epic later in the year (not actual payment mind) and this fits the bill quite well. The last three years I've been let out for en epic adventure sometime around early September.

I'm more inclined to go down the 'hire a bike' route than buy something, but everything I've seen has been a horrendous price for that weekend, so may start scouring eBay. My only problem would be that by my nature I'd have to find something odd or unique, just for the sake of it. The other problem is the cost of flying with a bike has gone up a lot in the last couple of years.
  • Redjeep! wrote:
    I'm thinking about doing L'eroica this year. One of my Christmas presents is the permission to do something epic later in the year (not actual payment mind) and this fits the bill quite well. The last three years I've been let out for en epic adventure sometime around early September.

I'm more inclined to go down the 'hire a bike' route than buy something, but everything I've seen has been a horrendous price for that weekend, so may start scouring eBay. My only problem would be that by my nature I'd have to find something odd or unique, just for the sake of it. The other problem is the cost of flying with a bike has gone up a lot in the last couple of years.

Yes, unfortunately in Tuscany accomodation prices can be very iratic and they take great advantage of the Eroica. In 2011, last time I did it, 3 nights was the minimum stay in any hotel/Agriturismo in the area and the prices were all north of 100 quid a night. Since then, things probably got worse, as the field has almost doubled. Add a flight, meals, registration fee and you are looking at a grand budget.
    The bicycles you can rent in the area are typically junk that is hardly worth the fee you pay...

But hey, it's a great event!
    left the forum March 2023