5700 FD unable to set L screw back enough to avoid catching

wolfsbane2k
wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
edited December 2016 in Workshop
Hi.

Just replaced the BB on a 5700 equipped bike, and went to check the FD fettling.

I'd been having a problem where by in the lowest gear, (big back, small front) I'd always get a clinking. Tonight fiddled and showed that it's down to the not being set back enough.
Completely undid the L limit screw, and it's still plinking, looks like it could do with an extra 1mm space.

Since the FD is at the mechanical limit and the L screw is having no affect, what are my options?

Ta
Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...

Comments

• mike1-2
    mike1-2 Posts: 456
    Has the cable got too much tension in it not allowing the mech to move far enough inside?
    Is it dirty with grit and much stopping it from moving in?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Replaced with the right size BB/right spacers?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Toe angle?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Cable - Occurs with the cable disconnected.
    Right BB - Yep - Hollowtech 2 Road English being replaced with the same. No Spacers.
    Grit - quite possibly.
    Toe - Thanks, will check.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • what is the bb case width? are we talking about a road bike right? which bb did you use? chainset model? Does the chainset have a play left to right? sometimes you need some force to check that play.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Take the thing off and give it a thorough clean and lube the pivot points, back off both limit screws fully then wiggle it back and forth through it's full range of movement to see if it's stiff or sticking anywhere.
    Remount it making sure the cage is parallel to the chainrings. If it's still catching maybe you could refit the D/S BB cup with a 1mm spacer.