Fecked off !!

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited December 2016 in The bottom bracket
Laid up with a virus - lost a stone in weight over 2 weeks and lungs sounding like an old heating boiler

If you start with a "cold" be prepared for a rough time - loads of people I know are going through the same symptoms - no riding for me for a while - can't even walk up a flight of stairs without getting out of breath

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,843
    Laid up with a virus - lost a stone in weight over 2 weeks and lungs sounding like an old heating boiler

If you start with a "cold" be prepared for a rough time - loads of people I know are going through the same symptoms - no riding for me for a while - can't even walk up a flight of stairs without getting out of breath
    If the lungs continue to rattle, go to the doctors, as you might have a secondary infection that needs antibiotics... I ended up with 'community-acquired pneumonia'a few years ago and ended up in not a great state. Amoxycillin did the trick.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Hoping you don't sound like my old boiler, it made a rather bizarre high pitch whistling noise followed by loud metallic clanking sounds.
    Chest rattle is going to be crap on the chest so off to the docs
  • LukeTC
    LukeTC Posts: 211
    IME better to get yourself down the docs sooner rather than later, like others have said chest rattle = get yourself seen, no point letting it drag on and potentially have to spend longer off the bike in the long run. Good luck getting it cleared up, crappy thing to have to deal with this close to the holidays.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You should bottle it as a weight loss product.

Ka ching.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997

If the lungs continue to rattle, go to the doctors, as you might have a secondary infection that needs antibiotics... I ended up with 'community-acquired pneumonia'a few years ago and ended up in not a great state. Amoxycillin did the trick.

I was ill (varying degrees of debilitation) for 2 months until I finally went to the doctors. Amoxycillin seems to have done the trick but I still seem to be struggling to shake a nagging cough
  • briantrumpet
    HaydenM wrote:

I was ill (varying degrees of debilitation) for 2 months until I finally went to the doctors. Amoxycillin seems to have done the trick but I still seem to be struggling to shake a nagging cough
    I think it affected me for about four months in all before I was properly clear. Once the lungs started to improve I felt well enough in myself, but hard physical exertion strained the lungs, and so performance on the bike took some time to return to pre-illness levels.
  • haydenm
    Sounds similar, I can taste things again now and I'm not generally feeling as dreadful. Still don't quite feel myself but maybe I'm just lacking motivation, I'm tempted to get out for some hard efforts to clear it all out
  • Anonymous
    Have got the antibiotics so hopefully there will be an improvement --- great timing for xmas !!
  • LukeTC
    LukeTC Posts: 211
    Have got the antibiotics so hopefully there will be an improvement --- great timing for xmas !!
    The one benefit is if you were in charge of cooking on the day, you can most definitely sign that duty over to some other poor soul
  • haydenm
    Don't believe the myth that you can't drink on antibiotics either, I did extensive research* into this. The pharmacist even said 'well, I can't specifically recommend it' and laughed...

*Frantic googling
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    LukeTC wrote:
    The one benefit is if you were in charge of cooking on the day, you can most definitely sign that duty over to some other poor soul

And you have a stone to put back on!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    HaydenM wrote:
    Don't believe the myth that you can't drink on antibiotics either, I did extensive research* into this. The pharmacist even said 'well, I can't specifically recommend it' and laughed...

*Frantic googling

You're fine to drink on them unless you get utterly smashed and chuck up then the kicking that your body gets essentially destroys any benefit of the pills.

Also keep hydrated as the meds will dehydrate you - go for that silly "one and one" rule and you'll be fine.

But if it all goes wrong Ididn't say a word.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,517
    HaydenM wrote:

*Frantic googling

from memory, flagyl and alcohol can be quite unpleasant, but effect seems to vary, perhaps genetic factors involved

not tried it, but i read up on appropriate drugs for different tropical nasties when i used to spend a lot of time there, flagyl was the one for giardia or worms
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • haydenm
    Just before anyone kills themselves because of advice they read on the internet, I was on amoxicillin, I think some of the others have bad effects
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,415
    Sounding like an old boiler is bad. Nobody would want to sound like my wife.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Quite a lot of hard bugs round this year I think. I'm one of several people I know ;) wtih deafness brought on from a cold. 4 weeks and counting. Off to the audiologist tomorrow.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • briantrumpet
    Quite a lot of hard bugs round this year I think. I'm one of several people I know ;) wtih deafness brought on from a cold. 4 weeks and counting. Off to the audiologist tomorrow.
    If they might phone to alter the appointment, you might find one of these devices useful. Or not.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,315
    Scales Brian, Scales. Get on with it. :roll:
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    Quite a lot of hard bugs round this year I think. I'm one of several people I know ;) wtih deafness brought on from a cold. 4 weeks and counting. Off to the audiologist tomorrow.

Which reminds me of a joke I once heard.

A bloke is sitting in his front room when he hears a knock on the front door. He opens the door and to his surprise there is a 6 foot tall cockroach standing there. Without saying a word the cockroach punches him on the nose and walks back down the front path. A few minutes later there is another knock on the door. On opening it he is faced with the same cockroach standing there. This time he gets a swift kick in the nuts from the cockroach who then calmly walks away. The bloke staggers back to his chair and sits down. After a 3rd knock on the door he cautiously opens the door to find no-one there. He turns to walk back inside only to be jumped from behind by the cockroach who sets about him with a baseball bat. Bleeding and battered he manages to crawl to the phone and dial 999. He tells the operator the story about the cockroach thinking that he will not be believed. The reply was

You're the 7th one tonight, we think there is a nasty bug going round!
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • andi1363
    andi1363 Posts: 350
    Acute bronchitis is my ailment. Day 22 today. No bacterial infection just a bastard virus.
  • Managed 10 minutes on the turbo last night after 1 month off the bike.
    Chest clear, but felt very light-headed, needed to get my wife to keep an eye on me in shower...
    Staying off bike for the rest of the week.
    Was riding 50 miles each Sunday before this.
    Back to square one...
  • pinno
    getnoticed wrote:
    Managed 10 minutes on the turbo last night after 1 month off the bike.
    Chest clear, but felt very light-headed, needed to get my wife to keep an eye on me in shower...
    Staying off bike for the rest of the week.
    Was riding 50 miles each Sunday before this.
    Back to square one...

Unlike a complete novice, you know you can cover 50 miles, You know that in 4 weeks you'll feel miles stronger. You know what to eat and drink. Go and twiddle 36 x 23 for 20 miles at 70 rpm over 2 hours with some flapjacks for company on Friday and you'll be well on the way. So it's not square one, it's square one and a half. :wink:
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I had that and the doctor gave me Cyanide but warned not to take it with alcohol or when I'm bonking the dog. Works brilliantly and have a few spare pills which I can send out.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Matthewfalle
    Illness is just weakness manifesting itself through visible signs of weakness. I suggest you all man up.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    Illness is just weakness manifesting itself through visible signs of weakness. I suggest you all man up.

Have you taken your medication this morning?
  • Anonymous
    I'm
    Back at work after 2 weeks off and a stone and a half lighter - chest stills feel tight though .... no cycling for a while on doctors orders !!

Shitty Christmas as had to work
    - first day off today !!
  • Matthewfalle
    Pinno wrote:

No. I shun the scourge of modern medicine. It is for those who are weak.

I find my school bag is now lighter since I dumped all the junk that infested it previously and I now only carry a Tupperware of leeches and a cut throat razor.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    Pinno wrote:

No. I shun the scourge of modern medicine. It is for those who are weak.

I find my school bag is now lighter since I dumped all the junk that infested it previously and I now only carry a Tupperware of leeches and a cut throat razor.

Oooh look at you, posh git. Leeches eh? Cut throat razor? I just pack a plain old house brick.
  • Matthewfalle
    I used to carry a pick axe handle as I found it did much the same job as a house brick but at least you could set fire to it to ward off wolves, bears, makes and Welsh people at night.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.