Giant SCR 2 Triple to compact

1964johnr
1964johnr Posts: 179
edited December 2016 in Workshop
My trusty steed for the winter is 10 years old now. I've replaced most of it and now need tp replace the triple shimano Tiagra chainset and would like to swirch to a compact. I have switched all my components myself and would like to do this as well but have never changed a chainset before. Can I switch to a compact and if so what do I need to be aware of? Any advice would be gratefully received.

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    1964johnr wrote:
    My trusty steed for the winter is 10 years old now. I've replaced most of it and now need tp replace the triple shimano Tiagra chainset and would like to swirch to a compact. I have switched all my components myself and would like to do this as well but have never changed a chainset before. Can I switch to a compact and if so what do I need to be aware of? Any advice would be gratefully received.

First question - If your triple chainset is 10 years old is it square taper or Hollowtech 2?

If it's square taper then you could replace the triple with something like this

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/chainsets/a ... 34t-170mm/

However if your square taper bottom bracket is also 10 years old then it will also probably need replacing so you might as well bite the bullet and switch to Hollowtech 2

With Hollowtech 2 then essentially any Shimano HT2 compact chainset will do the job

Cheapest option is probably a Tiagra 4700 chainset

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-tiagra-fc4700-chainset/

However there are plenty of ad's around for 2nd hand compacts that offer excellent VFM without breaking the bank.

If you stick with your existing triple LH shifter it can be made to operate as a double but there are suggestions that it is not ideal and can lead to failures. Again look around for a 2nd hand double LH shifter to make the swap over smoother and less troublesome
  • Thanks for the speedy reply. By going to your links I can see that I have a square taper chainset. £ 24 seems very reasonable for a replacement.