Newbie question about bike storage and temperature

lettingthedaysgoby
lettingthedaysgoby Posts: 1,732
edited January 2017 in Road beginners
So, getting into cycling and the acquisition of a new bike brough me into a "debate" with the wife as to where it should be kept. I naturally wanted it in the house.

Also naturally, I lost the debate :D

So, a shed* in the yard it is. Is there anything I need to worry about with the resulting low temperatures my bike is going to be exposed to? Be it the carbon, cables, hydraulic fluid etc? Or am I just worrying about my new baby unnecessarily? :roll:

*suitably secured, locked, alarmed etc.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    It will be fine...
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    ^this. Why, I even use my bike outdoors sometimes.
  • LukeTC
    LukeTC Posts: 211
    So, getting into cycling and the acquisition of a new bike brough me into a "debate" with the wife as to where it should be kept. I naturally wanted it in the house.

That's where you went wrong, instead of debating you should have just done it and took the consequences ;) unless you were planning on getting rid of all those shoes, handbags and "clothes from 5 years ago that don't fit right now but you never know perhaps next summer she'll fit into them again and she won't have to buy a whole new wardrobe" (even though you both know she's gonna buy a new wardrobe if hell freezes over and she got back down to size :lol: ) to make room...in which case you probably wouldn't be here asking us now.

Now for reals, I keep my bike out in a shed too and as long as it's dry I really can't see there being any adverse effect to storing it like that.

The other option is really pushing it with the "better" half until she exiles you, then you can sleep in the shed and share body heat with your bike and jobs a good 'un :lol:
  • Imposter wrote:
    It will be fine...
    The answer I expected, but not the one I wanted :D

Ah well, into the cold shed she goes then :D
  • LukeTC wrote:
    That's where you went wrong, instead of debating you should have just done it and took the consequences
    I enjoy my testicles being where they are, thank you very much :D
  • LukeTC
    LukeTC wrote:
    That's where you went wrong, instead of debating you should have just done it and took the consequences
    I enjoy my testicles being where they are, thank you very much :D
    :lol: Maybe you could hide it under a pile of dirty clothes that she's been waiting for you to clear up and on principle won't touch it :twisted:
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Imposter wrote:
    It will be fine...
    The answer I expected, but not the one I wanted :D

Ah well, into the cold shed she goes then :D

Well thats the wife dealt with, where do you intend keeping the bike?
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Temperature (in the UK, at any rate) is irrelevant. Humidity, on the other hand, will make a difference. If it's going in a shed or garage that's unheated, it's worth considering a dehumidifier. Making sure everything that should be is well-lubed will help, but won't stop e.g. discs from acquiring surface rust, ditto other unprotected metal. Bikes are of course used in the cold and wet, but then they are usually cleaned and dried; constant exposure to moisture is different. If it helps any in your "discussion", you could tell SWMBO that I keep 8 bikes indoors and remain happily married...for the time being at least.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Security is more an issue that temperature......
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    once I was camping in the Lake district, in the snow and the temp was well into the minus numbers .... the next morning I was prepping my bike and whilst leaning over the handlebars trying to sort out a dodgy V-brake by bottom lip touched the stem and stuck solid.

took me ages to get it off and it really hurt ....... so regarding storing your bike outside, if its really cold don't put your lips on any metal bits .... buy a carbon bike !
  • lettingthedaysgoby
    lettingthedaysgoby Posts: 1,732
    edited December 2016
    Svetty wrote:
    Yeah, I'm hoping I've got that covered. Access to to the rear alleyway and thus our yard is via a large metal security gate, I've fitted a ground anchor into the double locked shed plus an alarm.

I know nothing will stop a suitably determined thief, but I guess all we can do is make it as difficult as possible for them.
  • 964Cup wrote:
    I keep 8 bikes indoors
    I live in a 2 bed terrace. 8 bikes would leave very little room for people :D
  • LukeTC
    Svetty wrote:
    Yeah, I'm hoping I've got that covered. Access to to the rear alleyway and thus our yard is via a large metal security gate, I've fitted a ground anchor into the double locked shed plus an alarm.

I know nothing will stop a suitably determined thief, but I guess all we can do is make it as difficult as possible for them.
    Jackass+giant+hand+slap+3.gif

Depending on how much room/spare time you have, this could be a suitable option...
  • Jerry185
    Jerry185 Posts: 143
    I love my new Cipo, but finding it hard to wash the chain oil off the bedsheets.
  • LukeTC
    Jerry185 wrote:
    I love my new Cipo, but finding it hard to wash the chain oil off the bedsheets.
    You mean you don't give it fresh sheets every night? Talk about a lack of respect...
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    Both my bikes are in the kitchen, one on the wall out of the way, obviously. :roll:
    My son's bike (he doesn't even live with me) is in my bedroom.
    Mind you, the Mrs is long gone. :wink:
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Pituophis wrote:
    Both my bikes ......... Mind you, the Mrs is long gone. :wink:

eh .. the missus is gone and you are only storing 2 bikes ..... dude N+1
  • I've stored bike in the shed for years, as has been said make sure its dry before it goes in there.

PS. I have 4 bikes in the dining room and 2 in the shed :)

Dave.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    964Cup wrote:
    I keep 8 bikes indoors and remain happily married...for the time being at least.
    964Cup, you must have a big house with a room dedicated to bike storage? and have a very understanding wife. Eight seems a lot of bikes - are they all your bikes or does the 8 include kids bikes?
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492

So, a shed* in the yard it is. Is there anything I need to worry about with the resulting low temperatures my bike is going to be exposed to? Be it the carbon, cables, hydraulic fluid etc? Or am I just worrying about my new baby unnecessarily? :roll:

*suitably secured, locked, alarmed etc.

Shame. I have mine at home. And it is up on the wall beautifully. And making good use of none used wall space right behind the door. Every guest comment how good and cool it looks. I have one of those fancy bike hangers on the wall that can be secured by d lock. I also have a security camera looking over it 24/7.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577
    DavePotter wrote:
    I have 4 bikes in the dining room and 2 in the shed :)

Dave.

Fine work sir, I have 3 in my diningroom on one of these.
    EURO20093-570x708.jpg
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • vysie
    vysie Posts: 34
    My bike sits in the living room, and has done since I started riding, the other half gave up on trying to change me a long time ago now, friends and family just walk past it like it's meant to be there now. But then again it's no where near as crazy as when I rebuilt a car in the lounge or when she went work and I started building a boat in kitchen lol. I think she sees it as if that's all she has to worry about, it's ok!
  • keeping it in the shed increases the chances of it getting nicked by a factor of 10....! (well, it might be 9.68).
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    964Cup wrote:
    I keep 8 bikes indoors and remain happily married...for the time being at least.
    964Cup, you must have a big house with a room dedicated to bike storage? and have a very understanding wife. Eight seems a lot of bikes - are they all your bikes or does the 8 include kids bikes?
    The house is adequate. They're all mine. Kids' bikes, vile mountain bike horrors, wife's town bike, spare wheelsets etc are relegated to the garage (which is heated and dehumidified).