Request New SubForum - "Technology"

wolfsbane2k
wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
Hi.

I was wondering if it's worth starting a new subforum covering "technology"?
with all the geeky tools that are around - cycling computers, fitness trackers, cameras, etc, that are able to be used/compared across MTB & road, that rather than having to cross post, might be better all together in the same place?

Cheers
Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...

Comments

• My only issue with that is that the MTB/Road forums work quite well at the moment. I'd be open to adding the forum if we can work out that issue. Also, if there are more people who think it would be a good idea?

Let me know and happy to discuss further.
    BikeRadar Communities Manager
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    joshjevans wrote:
    My only issue with that is that the MTB/Road forums work quite well at the moment. I'd be open to adding the forum if we can work out that issue. Also, if there are more people who think it would be a good idea?

Let me know and happy to discuss further.

They do work very well at the moment, not sure if it is possible to have a subforum that can sit in both?
    It's a bit of a pain having to search/post in both MTB/Road sections for something that suits both - for example a garmin/wahoo computer/sensor etc, or go pro, can be equally used in both realms.
    This is the type of thing that it might cover specifically:
    viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=13074087

I have no idea if others want it or would be against it - not sure if you could poll it?
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • I'll investigate whether I can embed the tech forum link in both 'halves' of the forum.

Yep, we could also run a poll.
    BikeRadar Communities Manager
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I don't think this would add anything useful, tbh. Computers, GPS devices, fitness trackers, cameras, etc all have their relevances across all of the forums at the moment, depending on the topic being discussed. Trying to keep all such discussion in one place would be impossible.
  • I disagree, although they can be helpful to the specific topic of a thread, a more general 'what bit of tech?' question would be more universally open to discussion from all the cycle disciplines if they were in a subforum that was visible to each half.
    Also, it may help with cross-discipline information sharing.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    I don't think we need more sub forums - there are already a few in the road section that get pretty light use. Sometimes I am trying to find a thread and have to check each of the several sub forums it could fit into - that would just make it worse.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Just because it doesn't get used as some of the less specific subforums, doesn't mean it wouldn't be useful.
    There is also a search function...
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    So I want to talk about the latest Garmin - do I put that in tech or road buying ? If I want to talk about mechanical doping is that the pro race forum or tech ? If we are going to have categories they should be discrete.

It's the same with the likes of the cross and track forum - we could easily accommodate the pro stuff in the ProRace forum and the stuff about training in the training forum, buying a cross or track bike in road buying etc.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • I get your point, but for the Garmin argument, that would be Tech. purely because why can a garmin not be used on a MTB or even a cross/gravel route? so why would it be in road buying? Surely everyone talking about a bit of kit that can be used in any/all disciplines would be better somewhere everyone could get to it? Whereas say a turbo trainer may not be something a MTB rider would want to use so would make sense in road buying... but then what about commuters who may also be interested?!
    Its not an easy question to answer but I think it would be beneficial.