Mavic true UST 650b rim?

thejonf
thejonf Posts: 28
edited December 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Anyone know if mavic make a "proper" ust rim in 650b size? Couldn't find on their website. I've got 26" 819xm on current bike which are proper ust, i.e. No rimstrips., but researching next bike which will probably be 650b.
Anyone know or care to guess why they seem to think rim strips are better than a proper engineered sealed rim? Might be wrong but I figure a double wall rim is still lighter than an extra chunk of rubber?
Cheers

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    There's nothing in it for weight but it's more expensive and doesn't do the job any better.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The non UST rims can still be (in fact usually are) double walled!

Take the Stans rims as an example, you just use their thin rim tape (5g/wheel) and a valve and can use almost any folding tyre just fine, that sounds a better solution to me than a rim that weighs about the same but needs a 150g heavier tyre. While UST doesn't in theory need sealant, you would be mad not to use it to seal any punctures so in reality UST is heavier (by about 100g without sealant or 150g/wheel with) and the tyres more expensive (and less range). To me that is a worse solution.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.