Road derailleurs MTB shifters

Michael_Eng
Michael_Eng Posts: 3
edited December 2016 in Workshop
Hello BikeRadar forum.

I have set out to make a commuter bike with a Mango Point R frame.
I am planning to use a Shimano Sora groupset but I am not too keen on using the classic roadbike handlebar setup because I find it is a bit cumbersome in the city. I want therefore, to use a flatbar or bullhorn style handlebar. Either way I need a pair of shifters to match. In this case they have to be 2x9 shifters.

I understand that Sora flatbar shifters are available but I am not yet convinced that they worth the 50$ or so premium to a seemingly compatible pair of Alivio shifters.

Is there any chance that a typical MTB pair of shifters are going to work with a Sora 9sp mech?
If not do you have any suggestions for my predicament? :P

I have the feeling that I have to fork over the extra cash for the Sora shifters.

Thank you.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Will work just fine, 9 speed is compatible fully between road and MTB.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • That is correct, all mountain and road deraileurs up to 9sp require identical cable pull and also the same for 10sp road (not mtb). you can get nice alivios with brake levers on them for half the price they sell the crap sora flatbar shifters...
  • Cheers guys thanks a lot!!